:-( I have trouble standing...because the muscles in both legs have burning pain tightness when I stand for too long...my legs become tight heavy-like dead weight-when I walk, and they stiffen up after sitting...so it is hard to get out of a chair...the doctors took blood tests and did not find anything...I also have constant stiffness and aching at the base of my spine, between my hips. Since 2005, I have been having joint stiffness in both hands and ankles, too. I went to a clinic, but the doctor ignored this. Could I have arthritis or spine problems?

I want to find another doctor...who diagnoses disability. What kinds of tests will they do? I am unable to get up, if I sit on the floor and have trouble climbing steps, also. And my knees are very sore and WEAK!

Since May 2006, I have been feeling nauseaus and dizzy, with numbness in my fingers, and dryness in my throat. I went back to the clinic, and saw a different doctor who said I had symptoms of an autoimmune disease, and she gave me prednisone, but I vomited...so she is sending me the hospital, to see yet another doctor...what should I expect him to do?

What did the doctor at the hospital say? I seem to be having the same thing. I am worried about ALS. For me this started about 3 weeks ago and has been getting worse.

Guest wrote:

:( I have trouble standing...because the muscles in both legs have burning pain tightness when I stand for too long...my legs become tight heavy-like dead weight-when I walk, and they stiffen up after sitting...so it is hard to get out of a chair...the doctors took blood tests and did not find anything...I also have constant stiffness and aching at the base of my spine, between my hips. Since 2005, I have been having joint stiffness in both hands and ankles, too. I went to a clinic, but the doctor ignored this. Could I have arthritis or spine problems?

get an mri

I am having the same troubles as you...trouble standing too long...climbing...because burning/tingling almost electrical current running through my legs and arms..sore muscles.bones...most joints hurt...my legs also become tight heavy-like dead weight-when I walk, and they stiffen up after sitting as well...my doctor also took blood tests and did not find anything...They too first thought I had a acute arthritis(I'm only 39) and then ruled that out..next it was a virus..then ruled that out as it's not going away. They gave me and MRI of my spine and thorax and that showed up negative...and finally a spinal tap, also negative and that is suppose to rule out anything wrong with your brain. I've been doing alot of reading and it seems Candida Albicans(over abundance of yeast attacking the body) can cause these same symptoms as well as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. All which can be brought on by stress, too many anitbiotics and poor eating etc etc... Have you had anymore success with a diagnosis by your doctors? I would love to know as mine can't seem to get to the bottom of it all and quite frankly, I can't take much more of this. It's been almost two months now. Any help or advice?

This could all be stress related of course, depression and stress does a number on our bodies...I had these same kind of symptoms and after having my GAD-65 antibody test (which was positive) I was given the awfully named diagnosis of Stiff Mans syndrome AKA stiff persons syndrome. Its a very real disease with a variety of out comes, check into it, its very rare, and most Neurologist have never seen it, some dont even recognize the name.

med.yale.edu/neurol/programs/neuromuscular/stiff_man.html[/url]

Has a diagnosis of your symptoms been given to you yet? I have exactly the same symptoms and it's awful, especially not have any health insurance a this time.

To the Guest who posted on 11/007/06 - have you been diagnosed yet? I have the same symptoms and they are driving me crazy. I also have no health insurance so it's been difficult.

Since October 2007, I have had this diabiliting pain in all my extremities, hips, and neck. It started out that my hands and feet would get really swollen and I was extremely exhausted. I could only stay awake for a couple hours at a time. This went on for 4 months, and I saw 3 different doctors. They all kept telling me I had the flu because they could not find anything else. I went to a joint specialist who said that my joints weren't swollen so they didn't think it was arthritis.

At one point my feet were swollen and blue and my hands were so stiff I couldn't straighten them out. The nurse told me I was FAKING it!!!!! I could have killed her! For a couple of months I really tried to take it easy. I quit of my my jobs and stopped doing anything.

This summer I had the pain on and off again. About two weeks ago the pain has come back and very severely. I can not lift my arms to do anything, even for a second, without my muscles burning. My hands and feet are swollen and just throb with pain. Yesterday it felt like I was walking with 30 lbs weights hanging off my arms and legs. In the morning I am so stiff I can barely get out of bed without laying there for at least 45 minutes.

I am 20 years old, and now have ceased all physical activity because of the pain. I am beginning to lose weight though because I can barely move and am too tired to eat. No amount of caffeine can get me awake.

I also have acid reflux so I am limited to the type of pain killers I can take without having stomach problems.

HELP!!!! Any suggestions?

I have been developing these symptoms more and more as time passes by. It first started in my jaw (TMJ), next my neck (had cervical spine disc replacement & fusion) now it is moving to my hips, legs, knees, ankles and the heel of my foot. ()=what I was diagnosed with
A rheumotologist diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia/Chronic Pain Syndrome. I haven't been back to her to ask about the leg, etc pain and muscle tightness, spasms, etc. but my guess is Fibromyalgia probably has something to do with it....at least in my case.
If any of you find an answer will you please post?

I have had the same problems like you. The doctors told me I was faking, I had all kinds of auto ammune disease and so on. I have had these problems starting at age 5, Im 35 now. Untill the last year iI had these problems. A simple blood test My family Doc did. My Thyroid was way off the charts. I started taking meds. now I feel so much better. One pill a day keeps me pretty healthy. The thyroid controlls so many things that you would not believe. Ive seen more docs that anyone person should see and it was my thyroid the whole time. It will cause you to gain weight, lose wieght, u can be sluggish, tire, have no enegry, joints hurt, headaches, loose hair,and so much more. LOOK IT UP AND YOU WILL SEE. I hope I helped. It sucks when you know something is wrong and the docs look at you like you are crazy or faking. Take my advice 30 years of docs and a new family doc i went to see ran a simple test and after 2 or 3 mths of meds I felt so much better. Keep looking for docs until you find the one that helps you. Dont let them get you down keep fighting, you will get answers sooner or later. I know it is hard hang in there.

I went to a natural doctor, who has patients come from surrounding states, who can't find another like him. He said there's only one kind of thyroid test that can detect a kind of thyroid deficiency where all others test normal. He tested me with that test, then prescribed thyroid.

I did take those meds for a while, but have tried to stop, instead taking lots of thyroid support from the health food store. They are quite good.

But I'm not sure they fixed the ase problem.

I have gone to dentists, and chiropractors, who told me what I needed, and either expensively or not, did something that felt better, but didn't fix permanently.

The legs ache, I cannot lift them, getting into cars and climbing stairs is difficult, the muscles are as hard as a board.

I take Vitamin C like it's going out of style , also expensive supplements (Flavenzym) to boost my immune system. They help, but I never knew why. Also, when I am given antibiotics for other prescribed reasons, I feel wonderful -- have for decades, but have not understood how to ask for more, as I didn't have anything I could tell was wrong. When I have the antibiotics, I can walk freely.

I finally got a strong intuitional prompt to rinse my mouth. I use distilled water mixed with the Real Willard Water. Apparently there's imitations that don't work, but I get the Real Willard Water at willardswater.com (notice the "s" in the address). I rinse a *lot* three times a day, and each time the pain lessens.

Why was I rinsing? Because I tasted pus in my mouth. That is not detectable from an X-ray or a blood test (unless they know what they're testing for). I didn't know where the pus was coming from. I hoped that I could get rid of the pus by osmosis, somehow. And it was working, because I could sense the beginning of a change.

I have a hypothesis for now, and I'm still working on it. I may have a low-level runnynny nose that pooled and dried into hardened phlegm in my sinuses. Then the drip became a post-nasal drip, and poured into my stomach (causing nausea) and otherwise into my blood stream (hardened muscles). By stopping the pus draining into my blood stream at least 3 times a day I had temporary relief three times a day. Now my sinuses have begun to clear. The difference is like breathing through a straw and breathing more clearly.

I'm wondering whether the hardened muscles is from years of pus in the blood. I've had pus drain out of my head (or removed surgically) twice before, and as long as I can remember, I've always responded to antibiotics like I got my life back, until the meds ran out. All I know is that when I was in pre-teens we had a car accident, and I appeared to be the only one that had no physical damage, other than some knocks on the head, so they didn't treat me. But I never had a normal life after that, always tired and depressed. And in later years hardened legd muscles and knee -mostly- hip joints that hurt, a lower back that hurts, and unclear thinking.

Still rinsing with Willards Water (The Real Willard Water), still taking gobs of itamin C, still functioning only if I have lots of power foods from the health food store that I can tolerate. Noticeable improvement. More walking, less shuffling, most days. Have to use my cane less.

I wonder if other people have low-level infections that, undetected, could lead to poor immunity and hardened muscles. Dentists, these days, are very, very alert to jaw infections - this is new policy for them. But something else could be making the jaw infect. I don't know whether something like dried phlegm, or pus in the blood can be detected, at least unless they know they're supposed to be looking for something like that, without telling us that we're crazy.

My leg pain was coupled with hip pain, but each required different considerations

I have had the same symptoms for about a year. This can be agonizingly painful. My worst pain comes when I am stressed, or when I went to a gym and soaked in the hot tub, or went to a chiropractor asking for help. I told the chiropractor that my legs were out of their joints, and he needed to put them back in their sockets. Instead he treated me for pain. I had the worst pain ever after that treatment. Can you believe? My legs were out of their joints, he not only didn't put them back into their sockets -- instead he relaxed the musculature that was holding the legs at least marginally in their sockets. After his "treatment" my legs were pushing out of their sockets worse and stretching muscles that had no business being stretched. Such pain! I was in tears and never went back. I am under the impression that professionals don't know how to treat this stuff.

So far, I found that an internal infection increased the pain. So I take LOTS of Vitamin C and Wobenzym N available from some health food stores, and from . Keeps the infection away. Doctor would not prescribe antibiotics, because he didn't believe me. I take as much Vitamin C as I can tolerate, without getting the runs. I look for gentle Vitamin C, not the plain Vitamin C that's cheap. I can take more gentle Vitamin C than I can take the cheap variety. The pain drove me to experiment, obviously.

Plus, I found that the pain decreases when I take Hyland's homeopathic tablets Bryonia Alba 30x, also available from , for hip pain. Helps leg pain somewhat, I had to focus on the hip pain first, so that I could then start to resolve the leg pain.

Leg pain is being relieved by Hyland's Mag. Phos 30x for Muscle Cramps and Pains, again available from vitacost.

I can walk fast if I use hiking poles. (Fast, for me, is usually about the same speed as others walk, although if I walk heel-and-toe and push off from the toes, I can walk faster than normal people, when I am using those hiking poles.) From a sitting position I have had to, sometimes, grab the poles to hoist myself up. I can walk extremely short distances without them, but I have a far greater range and speed with the hiking poles. Best thing since sliced bread. Hiking poles can be found on the web. I got mine from . Had to get a backpack-type purse, again from . When one is holding oneself up with hiking poles, one cannot be carrying anything in the hands!

For some odd reason Hyland's Carbo Veg 30x helps with the leg pain. I have no clue why, because that remedy is for nausea. But I found that my legs hurt worse when the leg muscles were hard as boards, and taking Hyland's Carbo Veg 30x softened the leg muscles.

Also, none of the above work very well unless I am taking Real Willard Water. The knockoff willard water is known to not work, so don't even go there. The Real Willard Water is available from Notice the *S* in that web address. If you don't put the *S* in the web address, you wander about on the web a bit, before you find the real deal. I know a younger person than me who occasionally gets leg cramps at night. All he needs is the Real Willard Water, he doesn't need to take anything else.

I got the brainstorm also, to use Willards Water in a nasal cleanser. The infection has subsided enormously since I started that. It is still being cleaned out. Nasal cleansing was one good thing the doctor recommended. He said it would take a long time to wash out the infection from a nasal cavity.

All of the above required spiritual (listening really hard after prayer) before I found the relief. Still listening hard. <grin>

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I've been suffering with heaviness in my legs and the burning sinsation for five years now. When i have to use the stairs, it feels like i'm caring two big heavy bricks up with me. I cannot sit for a long period of time and i have a hard time going grocery shopping because i have to walk slow. I have had two MRI's and test were done to see if i had PAD. The doctors cannot figure it out and some think it's all in my head. It's not and i feel like i can't go on and on like this. It takes so much energy out of my life. I've had dogs and cats in my life and i can't enjoy them like i use to. I wish so so bad that there would be a doctor that could give me something to help me be comfortable during the day. I am on a paxil, but i don't really believe that i need to be taking that.

Hi, I wanted to share some information that might help a lot of similar symptoms. I don't know how old anyone is here, and maybe that doesn't matter anyway. I am 62, have had fibromyalgia, stiff leg muscles, muscle pain in my legs, back, arms, neck, you name it. My legs felt like wood when you poke on them. I could hardly get out of a chair or car. I found, about a month ago, some information about vitamin d deficiency and muscle pain and stiffness. It is all over the web now, but a lot of people haven't seen it yet. Apparently, our lack of getting enough sunshine has led to a deficiency, resulting in a lot of these problems, and they even talk about MS, Parkinson's, lupus, and the list goes on. The Vitamin D Council has a lot to say on this topic as do many other websites. I started sitting in the sun (I live in Florida) and taking 2,000 IU of Vitamin D each day. That is conservative. I have, since day 2 of this gotten rid of my stiffness 80%, pain 85%, mobility increased 85% and I feel like a new person. For anyone who is having undiagnosed pain and stiffness, please look at the new research coming out on this and the new recommendations. They are now saying Vitamin D was never a vitamin at all, but a steroid/hormone. If you start taking the vitamin, take the D3, not the D2. Read up online on this. Good luck everyone.

Guest wrote:

HELP!!!! Any suggestions?

Hi ya,

I have the same sysmptoms as you, i went through all the tests mri ect. all test coming back normal, i went to see a rhumatologist and he diagnoised me 2 years ago with fybromyalgia, I is really horrible, i am just on sleeping tablets and pain killers, i hands are so sensitive, burning in my arms and legs and totally exhausted, there is lots more but i wouldn't want to bore you. Oh and ME, the systems of fybromyalgia is very much the same as MS, but the mri ruled MS out.
I hope this helps, I know how you feel, It is so hard when you are in so much pain, but nothing can be done about it.

take care

gentle hugs

sandra