I've had unexplained swelling in both my knee and my ankle over a period of 2 years now. Its not constant but it comes and goes and when my knee or ankle gets swollen sometimes they can get so big and stiff that I can't walk.
I've been to several doctors and they don't know whats causing it. They usually recommend ice and anti inflamatories but that doesn't seem to help or if it does its very slow in making a difference and it certainly doesn't stop it from happening again.
I've never had an injury that I know of to these areas and I've had x-rays and there is nothing broken in the areas.
Right now my knee is so swollen it looks like there a baseball above my kneecap and I'm limping when I walk.
I've also had iritus in one of my eyes (which is also an inflamation) several times know and they don't know what causes that either. I wonder if the joint and eye problems are connected?
I don't have any other health issues that I'm aware of and when I don't have swelling everything is normal for me.
But I never know when my ankle or knee will swell or when my eye will act up. I never know what causes it and what I should or shouldn't do to take care of it.
I'm desperate to find out what causing this and hopefully to find a solution or treatment.
If anyone can help I would be very apprecative.
Thanks

i'm not a doctor by any means, but i've had problems similar to yours (with the exception of the eye swelling). i've been seeing different rheumatologists and your problem sounds very much like what's been described to me as either reactive arthritis or "reiter's syndrome." i would look up reiter's syndrome. it can cause major swelling in a knee and your ankle could be a result of that or a result of limping on the knee. eye swelling is also a major symptom of reiter's syndrome. i think it's caused by an infection (it can be a number of different types of infections, including stds but also different bacterial and parasitic infections). the infection often clears up and then the arthritis shows up way later. i think urinary frequency or pain is also a common symptom, if you're experiencing that at all.

i would see a rheumatologist ASAP and tell them about your symptoms, they should be able to ID it. i've been able to get occasional help for my knee swelling from having it drained & geting a cortisone injection, but you can't have this done too often as it harms the joint.

i've been suffering with similar massive knee swelling with a giant baseball-like thing on top of my knee, but haven't had any eye symptoms. my ankle has recently been swelling as well. it's been going on for over a year. i'm actually having exploratory surgery done on friday, maybe that will reveal something.

good luck!

Hello-
I couldn't believe when I read your post. I have the same symptoms as you do-- severe pain, swelling, and stiffness of the knee and swelling of the eye. This has been happening to me on and off for about 7-8 years. I have been to the doctor for x-rays, MRIs, blood work, etc. and they have never been able to determine what I have. It happens to me about 2-3 times per year. I have found that it tends to happen about a week before menstruation-- I think it is somehow related, but I'm not sure how. Please let me know if you learn more about this problem or hear of others who have the same thing.
Many thanks.

I HAVE EXPERIENCED SIMILAR SYMPTOMS TO THOSE MENTIONED CONCERNING SWELLING OF KNEE AND ANKLES. I HAVE HAD A FLARE UP TWICE IN THE LAST YEAR. MY BLOOD PRESSURE USUALLY VERY LOW, GOES UP CONSIDERABLY. DOCTORS HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM, SENDING ME FOR AN ECHOCARDIOGRAM AND FOR AN IMAGING TEST TO SEE IF I HAVE A CYST BEHIND THE KNEE SINCE IT IS VERY TENDER TO THE TOUCH. SURE HOPE THE RECENT TESTS WILL DETERMINE THE CAUSE SO MY MIND CAN BE PUT AT EASE

I have been suffering with two swollen knees and a swollen ankle for two months now, no other symptoms. The joints are so stiff and tender I can hardly walk or bend them. I am only 26 and did not have any kind of injury prior to these symptoms appearing. I have already had x-rays, an MRI, blood test, and the fluid from my knees tested, and so far the doctors have not been able to draw any conclusions as to what may be the cause. I have been off work on short term disability for a month, and show now signs of improvement yet. I am desperate to find out what is causing this and how it can be treated. I have been tested for everything you can think of, and everything comes back normal.

I hope I don't have to live like this for the rest of my life, it's miserable. I am very stressed out about the whole situation. I have been trying to think of any changes in my lifestyle over the past year. The only thing I can think of is that I started a new job, and I know this sounds way out there, but I work for a company that supplies chemicals and although I am not in direct contact with them, they are stored on the small property where I work. Does anyone else suffering with these symptoms have any odd surrounding that could be and external influence on your health?

I have the same problems and after many test they found i had an untreated case of Chlamydia, get yourself checked out

I have had almost all of the same symptoms. I am on my way to a Rheumatologist (or two) after trying:
Primary Doctors
Orthopedist
Infectious Disease Doctor
MRI
3 sets of blood tests
X-Rays
2 Hospital visits
All over the course of at least 5 years. You might want to google "ankylosing spondylitis" as my wife and I saw similar symptoms. Either way, best of luck, and if I can share any more information after, hopefully, more definitive answers this summer, I will certainly post again.
My symptoms are, swollen ankles, knees, sometimes feet (either side) and pain and inflammation in my tailbone....to the point where it is hard to even get out of bed or find a good position to lie in.

i've had sever swelling in my knees for almost a year now. i can't predict when it's going to happen and sometimes the swelling occurs overnight and is quite severe. sometimes it hurts - sometimes it doesnt. i've been to the ortho a number of times and MRIs did not indicate a mechanical issue. i was sent to a rheumatologist and all the blood work came out clean - no rheumatoid factor, no ANA indicator, no genetic predisposition to reiter's syndrome (or reactive arthritis). i had also read that past infections or untreated STDs could cause joint problems so i recently got a whole panel of std tests which were all negative.

anyway, i was put on plaquenil, an anti-rheumatic drug, for 6 months. this did not relieve the random swelling in my knees. i've now been put on methotrexate, a stronger anti-rheumatic drug, to see if this helps. i've been on it for about 6 weeks and have not seen any decrease in the frequency of my knees swelling up with fluid, but this drug may take up to 12 weeks to start working and 6 months to fully work. they're treating my problem like seronegative rheumatoid arthritis. i don't exactly fit the description of rheumatoid arthritis and if this medication doesnt work i'm really going to start thinking this is NOT rheumatoid arthritis.

anyway, for those who havent - go to a rheumatologist and get a panel of tests done. you can be negative on all the tests, but still have a rheumatic disorder. if anyone comes up with a solution to this that isn't rheumatic please post !

I have been dealing with the exact same symptons. However, I have only been dealing with it for about 3 weeks now. I have been to the doctor, and the doctor says they can't figure out whats going on. They are sending me now to a rheumatologist this week to do more tests. I am hoping that it isn't related, but on top of my ankles and knees being extremely sore and swollen, my neck has also become sore over the last few days, and very stiff. I might have just slept on it wrong, but who knows. I seem to be falling apart. I am only 28, and have no history in my family of Gout, Rheumatoid Arthritis, etc...so I am extremely puzzled. I have been taking Endomethacin (I believe thats the name) for the inflamation and the pain, but it seems to be doing me no good. They also have me taking Vicodin for the pain, which doesn't seem to be doing me any good either. I find that the symptoms are typically worse at night before bed, and when waking up. I thought this seemed peculiar, because I figured walking and standing around all day would do more to disrupt the joints than laying down. It is almost impossible for me to walk in the mornings, and it's getting to the point where stance is being affected from my tender walking almost on the sides of my feet, so I fear that I am doing more damage to myself then good at this point. If anyone hears any new news about their situations, please let me know. I am starting to get very concerned.

I have been suffering from swollen knees and occasionally feet and ankles for about 6 years. I'm only 23 but this happens periodically and can be really painful, often the swellings make it very painful to sleep as they tend to make my whole leg ache unbearably which doesn't seem to satiated by anti-inflammatory drugs. I've been to the doctor a few times who thought it may be a type of arthritis but the weird thing is it comes and goes, and often by the time I get to the GP the swelling has gone and it's very difficult for them to diagnose. No STDs either so who knows what the problem is! I've not injured my knees or ankles, and I get flare-ups in both legs. I'd be interested if anyone has been correctly diagnosed and found anything that helps. Thanks.

Hi All,

I was suffering the same problem as yours and i am 23 yrs of age , my knees swollen , i been to my Gp many times i had MRI Scan ,Xray different Blood Test and also he send me to see Speceils , and they couldn't find any thing.

On the 7/10/10 the Swollen come back and this time it was with a pain and i went to see my Gp but he told me to go to the Hospital as soon as i can and he writte a letter to take with me, i went to the hospital the A & E Department, they took blood from me and after 2 hours a doctor call me and told me what they found which was (Blood Clot) so please ask your Gp to check that you have Blood clot!!.

i am doing Great know and i take Injection every day for 6 weeks.

let as know your findings

Thank you

I had the same symptoms swollen ankles, knees and eyes. Along with this I had swollen eyes soemtimes, a red rash on my face and scalp which casued some hair loss. I was tested and found out I had Lupus, an autoimmune disease

I have had similar sorts of symptoms, and also done the rounds of doctors. I thought I had injured my knee 3 months ago when I crouched down and something 'went' in my knee, followed over a few days by a huge swelling. A couple of weeks later, my calf became extremely painful and swollen, the pain at times being completely debilitating. My ankle also swelled up but with littel or no pain. I've had all the scans and blood tests - there is nothing structurally wrong with my knee, and there is no obvious problem with my calf or ankle. The only thing that showed up was increased bone activity in parts of the knee on the bone scan. There are very tender areas around the inside of my knee and I have limited movement without pain, and I can't quite straighten it due to pain at the base of the patella when I do. However the over-riding pain whether I'm moving or not is the cramping type pain in my calf. The knee pain appears to be better controlled by anti-inflamatories, whereas paracetamol keeps the calf pain under control. I had a cortison injection in the knee, which helped, but I still need the anti-flams.... None of the blood tests show anything spectacular - although the ESR is above normal, it's not way high. I'm getting really down with it, as overnight I have had to stop all my normal sports and lifestyle. Does anyone have any ideas? The rheumatologist appears to ahve given up - she has just prescribed Palquinol, but doesn't think it will do anything! Thanks for any help.

helenr i have the same exact symptoms and the same results as you. I am though a 30 yr old male and have no clue where to turn to now. I am a wrestling coach and love sports and I cant do anything now. I am back in school and started a new job and im scared im going to lose them. :-( Hope it turns around for you soon. :-D

Well I'm off to see another rheumtologist tommorrow - though not very optimistic that it's going to bring up anything new.... Will let you know if he has any ideas....