Recently I experienced a very hard car accident.
My wife and I were very injured and we were about two weeks on intensive care.
My wife recovered very well and without any consequences. I had broken hipbone and my elbow.
My bone fractures healed nice but on my right hand, I couldn’t feel superficial touch. It was very weird sensation.
My doctor said that I have injured nerve that conducts superficial sense to my hand. I asked him about possible nerve recovery but he said that this is impossible. Please, can somebody convince me in opposite?

I’m sorry to say but your doctor was right.
Nerve damage is very hard to fix because the lower part of broken nerve usually die so it is practically unrepairable.
There is some method of connecting damaged nerves but it can be used only for bigger nerves like ischiadic nerve on man’s leg not for smaller like this one on your hand.
It is not so big injury but you must understand some things.
You can't feel superficial sense but you can't also feel pain.
That can be very dangerous because your hand could be in fire and you will not notice it. So you must be very careful and you will not have much problems with your symptoms.

Hi Im new here, I was just doing some research on nerve damage myself and came across this post. as i have nerve damage on my left arm due to car accident crushing my elbow and also have quite a bit on my rt. leg from the same.
as I know just how painful this can be. no the sensations on the surface of the skin may not feel quite right or even at all for that matter. what that is damaged inside is VERY PAINFUL .. below i have posted some information that i found while in web M.D. I hope it helps give u a better understanding and some satisafaction as to how our condition works. :)

Your nervous system is involved in everything your body does, from regulating your breathing to controlling your muscles and sensing heat and cold.

There are three types of nerves, or neurons, in the body:

1.Autonomic nerves. These nerves control the involuntary or partially voluntary activities of your body, including heart rate, blood pressure, digestion, and temperature regulation.
2.Motor nerves. These nerves control your movements and actions by passing information from your brain and spinal cord to your muscles.
3.Sensory nerves. These nerves relay information from your skin and muscles back to your spinal cord and brain. The information is then processed to let you feel pain and other sensations.
Nerve pain and nerve damage can be mild. But, because nerves are essential to all you do in life, nerve pain and damage can seriously affect your quality of life.

What are the symptoms of nerve pain and nerve damage?
With nerve damage there can be a wide array of symptoms. Which ones you may have depends on the location and type of nerves that are affected. Damage can occur to nerves in your brain and spinal cord. It can also occur in the peripheral nerves, which are located throughout the rest of your body.

Autonomic nerve damage may produce the following symptoms:

inability to sense chest pain, such as angina or heart attack
too much sweating (known as hyperhidrosis) or too little sweating (known as anhidrosis)
lightheadedness
dry eyes and mouth
constipation
bladder dysfunction
sexual dysfunction
Damage to motor nerves may produce the following symptoms:

weakness
muscle atrophy
twitching, also known as fasciculation
paralysis
Sensory nerve damage may produce the following symptoms:

pain
sensitivity
numbness
tingling or prickling
burning
problems with positional awareness
In some instances, people with nerve damage will have symptoms that indicate damage to two, or even three, different types of nerves. For instance, you might experience weakness and burning of your legs at the same time.

What causes nerve pain and nerve damage?
There are more than 100 different types of nerve damage. The various types may have different symptoms and may require different types of treatment.

More than 20 million Americans are afflicted with peripheral nerve damage. This type of damage becomes increasingly more common with age. In one out of every three people with peripheral nerve damage, the damage comes from diabetes. In another third, the cause of the nerve damage remains unknown.

While not an exhaustive list, the following are some of the possible causes of nerve pain and nerve damage:

Autoimmune diseases. A variety of different types of autoimmune diseases can produce symptoms of nerve pain and nerve damage. These include: multiple sclerosis,Guillain-Barré syndrome (a rare condition in which the immune system attacks the peripheral nerves), myasthenia gravis, lupus and inflammatory bowel disease.
Cancer. Cancer can cause nerve pain and nerve damage in multiple ways. In some instances, cancerous masses may push against or crush nerves. In other cases, certain types of cancer may result in nutritional deficiencies that affect nerve function. Additionally, chemotherapy and radiation may produce nerve pain and nerve damage in certain individuals.
Compression/trauma. Anything that results in trauma or compression of nerves can result in nerve pain and nerve damage. This includes pinched nerves in the neck, crush injuries, and carpal tunnel syndrome.
Diabetes. About 50% of people with diabetes suffer from nerve damage, which becomes more likely as the disease progresses. Diabetic neuropathy is a serious complication and may affect all three types of neurons. Sensory nerves are most often affected, causing burning or numbness. If you have diabetes and are experiencing symptoms of nerve pain or nerve damage, you should consult a medical professional as soon as possible.
Drug side effects and toxic substances. Various substances that are taken into the body intentionally or unintentionally have the ability to cause nerve pain and nerve damage. These include medications, such as chemotherapies for cancer and certain drugs used to treat HIV. Toxic substances that may be ingested accidentally, including lead, arsenic, and mercury, may also cause damage to your nerves.
Motor neuron diseases. The motor neurons are nerves in your brain and spinal column that communicate with the muscles throughout your body. Diseases that affect these nerves, including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig’s disease, can result in progressively worsening nerve damage.
Nutritional deficiencies. Deficiencies of certain nutrients, including vitamins B6 and B12, may produce symptoms of nerve pain and nerve damage, including weakness or burning sensations. Nutritional deficiencies that cause nerve damage may also result from excessive alcohol ingestion or develop after gastric surgery.
Infectious disease. Certain infectious diseases have the ability to affect the nerves in your body. These conditions include Lyme disease, the herpes viruses, HIV, and hepatitis C.

Hi, my brother in law had a very bad motorcycle accident. Now, after almost t two years he feels incredible pain in his right arm. He damage the elbow nerves and can't feel the upper part of his arm, can´t move his arm at all and move very little two fingers.
He is desperate with the pain (he has being taking morphine)  and can´t deal with the pain any longer.
His Doc said that he could recover in 3 to 4 years but he says he can´t deal with the pain or the strong medicines.
He is ready to amputate his arm.
Does anybody knows a doc or a treatment or something that he can do to improve his life.
Cheers

Yes Nerve cab be cure by stem cell therapy but this is very expensive treatment. you can search on google for stem cell therapy.

my nerve damage is the result of a stroke i had 5 months ago, and it very servere in my right arm , leg and foot, i have been searching everywhere myself and was to it was irreversable, what a bummber, i will keep searching, and waiting for gods healing, bindel i will come back and post if i find something to help us all

i too suffer from permanent nerve damage and sympathize very much with all of you. i have problems with both arms and hands including my right leg from the hip down to the toes. i have partial feelings in my right foot as well as my hands and parts of my arms. Burning sensations including pins and needles along with uncontrollable jerking of both arms and hands. There isn't much in the way of repairing the nerves however from what my doctor told me I am under the impression that nerves can grow back at a rate of approximately 1/4 inch per year, However this is best case scenario and would require many supplements and allot of prayer.

I was in a bad car accident also, my truck slid on a icy road and ended in a 50 foot drop. Police were surprized I was alive. The doctors at emergency said I had a hair lined fracture in my elbow. I didnt belive them because I had that injury 35yrs ago and I could not move my fingers. This time I had no problem moving them, but I had numbness and burning sensations in my forearm and around my elbow. I thought it was nerve damage. Well two months later I can use my arm but still have the numbness and burning now and then along with stabbing pains. The muscles in my arm seem ok though. Can this happen with nerve damage?

hi bindel i dont know how about u now. my sister suffered the same problem like you but is serious and through treatments and physiotherapic exersice she is now feeling some sensation on her legs. trust God he can every thing next to these seriously follow up physiotherapic exersice.

Nearly three years ago, I had carpal tunnel surgery to my right hand.  I had left having the surgery until there was  a  severe lack of feeling in the fingers.  My surgeon said the nerve damage MIGHT not repair.  It is difficult to be sure, but I think a little sensation has returned. though there is still a long way to go.  

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

i am in the process of being evaluated for nerve issues. finger numbness, cold hands and arms and occasional burning sensation up both arms. mri indicated stenosis and other issues. while doing research i did find that b complex vitamin and fatty acids my help. reccomendation was to try for 2 weeks. if no help try st johns wart, vervan or peppermint oil rubbed on the location. last option was ginseng,ginger root and ginko extracts. i would consult dr before trying any first. document on calender what/when you take anything. i started out with b complex but did not stay on it. i was having flare-ups and thought b complex may be the culprit. i have been off the b complex and still have flare ups so i rule that out for causing problems. chances are im heading for surgery for the stenosis then will take it from there. someone else mentioned stem cell so that may be worth looking in to.

Try accupuncture. Make sure the TCM doctor is properly qualified and has many years of experience. I had a surgery for syringomyelia done at T12/L1.which caused some nerve damages resulting in loss of sensations of my feet and leg calves, weakened muscles, loss of balance etc. The surgery was done last November. I am near 70. After a month of limited results to recover my strength, motor functions, etc, I then sought the most experienced accupuncturist in Singapore , where I am resident. Two to three weekly treatments have helped me regain some sensations, quite a lot of the strength, and the balance has improved. I am able to walk independently now for about 100 meters when I could not even walk five steps for weeks after the surgery. Sind one in your vicinity and check out where he was trained and his years of practice. I was fortunnate the doctor I chose had over 40 years experience (he is 74 now).

Secure 100% compensation with Compensation Solicitors.
No Deductions - For example, £10,000 awarded -You get 10,000
All our costs are recovered from the other party!

If you believe its not your fault and you were injured within the last 3 years then let our experts decide...

Just fill in the contact us form with some details and we will be happy to help ---- 

***post is edited by moderator *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

sh*t ....... sorry for the language but I am an MD student and i was thinking of breaking my arm so i can pass the exam which i have in 2 hours that what bringes me to here  but after that i will never do such a thing .....do you know what all of you the mot guy and the car accident   guy.....I am not sorry for you for only one reason that you can bet it and you can live your life like you always did ..... it a matter of time and strength.....people should never look a sorry look at you guys ......    be stong my brother in humanity    be STRONG (weed will get you back to were you were good luck )

peace,,,

Have the same condition,had injury to face woke after operation with burning pin and needles on my lower lip touge and right leg from the knee down to the bottom of foot. Every step is painful. I don't know what to do. Am younge don't want to be like this forever, help!!!! Medication prescribed to me pregobolin but it don't help mucho also am on co-codolmol and citiolopram. I feel your pain.