About 10 years ago I started experiencing a pressure at the side of my face. I felt it in my teeth and the side of my nose. I figured it was my sinus although I was not stuffy. The sensation/pressure worsened and spread to other areas of my face. I was so freaked out, I could not sleep and I began experiencing nausea and a tight stomach stomach as well. The pressure intensified over a few weeks and I was in excrutiating pain. I went through hell for 5 months visiting various doctors and undergoing many tests. Everything was normal thank goodness however, I was so depressed and sad that my body had done this to me. I had a beautiful 18 month old and I felt robbed that I could not care for her properly. Very long story short, the pressure/sensation became permanent. It was my worst fear. However, the pain did lessen thank God. But now I live with this painless pressure-like sensation in my forehead, cheeks, sides of my nose, teeth, inner cheeks (mouth) temples and sides of my head. To me, it feels like the muscles are in a permanent state of contraction. I can even see some muscles move (not a quick twitching but a slow "grabbing"). I can also "wipe" away the feeling with my fingers for it to come back in a few seconds. I've tried all sorts of things: accupuncture, botox, analesics, massage, etc. Nothing makres it better. Does anyone, anyone know what this is? It does not go away; I have learned to live a somewhat happy life with it but would love to have it leave me.

I have the same thing thats started happening to me...it also goes into the top of my head i would say and is very bad in my temples...it also has a cold feeling associated with it. like freezing exact same thing...goes away when i touch for only a second. was never painful though has only been in the non painful stage for me. i'm completely lost and don't know what it is or what to do about it...please reply..i'm losing my mind this is constant.

I have something very similar. The strange pressure that makes me feel a little off balance. I also get the strange cold sensations. It runs all the way down my spine. It feels like a buzz. I am considering going to the Mayo Clinic if things don't get better. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Did anyone ever get a diagnosis for this or is it getting any better. I have been this way for 6 months. please help

I have had the same thing happen to me. My pressure only occurs in my forehead. It is absolutely painless and worsens when I try to sleep. It feels like someone is sticking a pump in my forehead and pumping it up. I've had sinus surgery, which didn't work and now am going to a neurologist to see if he can figure it out. I don't have any balance problems or anything. I also go through hot and cold sweats along with yawning at weird times (while working out, etc.). It is worse at night when I try to sleep. I hope someone can answer this question soon because it's very annoying.

i have been going through the same thing im sad all the time i cry i went to er they didnt do any thing

I experience something similar with pressure, predominantly on the left side of the head, i can feel it in the teeth, gums, nose, jaw. Sometimes it feels as if energy is trying to make its way out of my head. Sometimes it's exacerbated by the sensation of a pump pumping air into my head. Sometimes there is associated involuntary movement of my head or other parts of my body, almost like a repetitive quick tick or very minor seizure. The locus of the pain use to be in an area next to the nose and it was a terrible pinching sensation that would build and exhaust me. It made it tremendously difficult to focus on anything for any extended period.
Having described these sensations, however, I do want to say that after seeing,ENT doctors, neurologists, dentists, eye doctors, I have had some success with a homeopathic remedy, quite to my surprise. Now the pressure is still there but has migrated to a lower portion of my head and it's not so intense. The pinching sensation is gone from my nose. The name of the remedy is called lycopodium and I have had to take repeated dosages, usually once a month. HOWEVER, ONE CAN OVERUSE OR OVERDOSE ON it so it's important one uses this remedy under the supervision of an experienced homeopath.
I'm still looking to eliminate the pressure and involuntary movement if I can and if I have any luck I will repost to this site. One last thing and perhaps it is preliminary to post this, but I will. My doctor just called me and blood tests revealed that I had very low levels of vitamin D. She's putting me on high prescription dosages once a week for the next 6 weeks. Vitamin D is associated with chronic pain, which this frequently becomes, so perhaps there's a link.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. And I wish you all the best in finding some way to eliminate or ameliorate the condition. Just for the record, because I think it could be important, I am a 42 year old female, in good shape, mostly vegetarian as maybe gender, diet has something to do with this.

I have the same symptoms for over a year.Pressure sensation ,twitching and nausea on my face.I am 99% sure and as my doctor says that its all psychological!We must stop thinking about it stop touching our faces and relax!

I have similar symptoms, a pulling sensation from under my eye into my cheek. Occasionally I feel like there is something in my eye and sometimes the sensation extends down to my chin and feels tingling. I have been to my family doc, two eye doctor's, neurologist and psychiatrist as I am so anxious and depressed about this situation. No one has the answer. I have tried Elavil with no change in the symptoms and am now starting Neurontin tonight. Has anyone found any relief from this. I am also under a lot of stress besides the stress from these symptoms. HELP!!

I have suffered from this ailment for over twenty years, it was first diagnosis as Chronic Rhinitis and sometime sinus. As of this week, I no longer have the movement around my ears. However, I have been experiencing movement in my jaws, mouth and a pulling in the nose. This is not in your head, this is real. I tried to tell myself for years that this is not real. Hello, doctor, it is. I he tried everything and nothing works. I can get to sleep, however, sometimes the movement in the top of my head and nose is so strong, it wakes me up. I look forward to the day, I no longer have this.

It's probably borrelia burgdorferi, Lyme disease. It is transmitted to humans from ticks. Untreated or not appropriatly treated borrelia can cause these wierd psychosis like sensations. If left untreated it may also cause severe psychiatric symptoms, like detachment from self/reality, bipolar disorder and schitzophrenia, as well as physical, headaches, backaches and sleepiness. The usual treatment for borrelia, where I live, is 10 days of antibiotics, and this may not be sufficient for curing the disease. The disease can be cured, I know of successful treatments in Germany releaving all symptoms. The preffered used antibiotics in the U.S.A is doxycycline.

Check out these links for further information:

Hmm, since 2007 nobody actually got an answer! =P

Anyway, I've been having something like it for a little over a year now. It started as a slight pintching sensation above my left eye, then around. I used to wear contact lenses a lot more back then and thought it could be stressing my eye, so switched to glasses full time, but it never went away. A trip to the eye doctor revealed nothing. Then the journey began.
I was a vegan for 2 years, and the first doctor ordered blood test showed I was a little anemic, so I went back on my old, family shared, diet with meat and dairy on which I am 'till now.
Second trip to this doctor a while later showed I was healthy again, but the pintching was still there.
Went to another doctor who ordered different blood tests that came out fine.
A third doctor advised me to see a neurologist, so I did. All the neuro could come up with was tension on my trapezius muscles, given I couldn't turn my head the same lenght both ways. He suggested hot water bag presses and massages 'till it stopped. After 4 months of 3 hot presses a day and weekly massages, I gave up. My back felt wonderful, though =P
Up to this point the pintching had gotten significantly worse, extending all around my left eye, center of my forehead, side my nose and sometimes above and around my upper lip to the left side.
In the meantime I observed that steam made it better, meditation (I'm buddhist and practice it daily) and strechting too, though for less time.
Also, as someone else said to have, I have chronic sinus inflammations and spend a lot of time with my nostrils semi-obstructed. Never tried any treatment for that.

I'd be nice to know some habits of people who have this.
I'm a computer technician and spend a LOT of time looking at CRT and LCD screens. I'm also studying design, so I draw and read a lot. Pretty much all I do is, how can I say, "eye-heavy" work.
I do wonder why this, in theory, would affect only only onde side of my face though.

That said, I'm bound to see another neurologist.
Still watching this thread for further updates!

Hi, I have been experiencing abnormal head and facial sensations for almost 20 years. It feels like very heavy, very cold, liquid - and stretches from the crown of my head down to the lips. It is present 24/7. It was a long time before I went to my GP for help. Having undergone an horrendous trauma a few years earlier, I thought the condition was psychosomatic. Or rather, I thought everyone else would think it was psychomatic ! Eventually I went to my GP and was referred to a neurologist. He diagnosed temporal artiritis - wrongly as it turned out. I asked for a second opinion and saw a neurologist who quite literally saved my sanity. As an MRI head scan showed no obvious cause, he couldn't offer a diagnosis - but he did prescribe two amitriptyline tablets taken two hours before bedtime. This makes it possible for me to go to sleep relatively quickly and I will be forever grateful for this. During waking hours I have found the best coping strategies are acceptance and diversion. This works fine - until I am otherwise unwell. Then the sensations are full on and horrendous. You will appreciate that in all these years there has not been a treatment, therapy, regimen, diet, 'ism' or 'ology' that I have not tried, from the conventional, through complimentary, alternate and holistic, to the frankly downright ridiculous. Nothing has ever made even the slightest difference. Last summer I had a fall. It was just a stumble actually, but it still managed to split open the top of my head and totally shattered my femur from the hip to the knee. It has taken 6 months to recover but I took the opportunity during my latest follow up appointment to speak to one of the orthopaedic surgical team about the facial sensations.
His immediate response was that I should go back to my GP and get a referral to a consultant who could arrange spine and neck Xrays. He was surprised that the neurologists hadn't asked for this as he tells me that arthritis in the spine or neck can cause continuous pressure on a nerve. If I rotate my head the joints in my neck do feel very 'gritty' - as though they have small stones in them. I am trying not to get my hopes up to far, as I have been disappointed so many times, but as soon as I have recovered from a very nasty cold I will pursue this. So wish me luck and I'll let you know how I get on. Carol

I have experienced somewhat similar (intermittent) sensations for at least 5-6 years now. I do also get many strange sensations that other mention, the feeling that something very hot is on my head and dripping down through my head, or that something very cold is on top of my head and it penetrates downward, or that one part of the head (usually the face) is pulling out towards another area, but most interesting if you'd want to call it that (what i'm most curious about anyway) is the sensation like my hair is being moved about (but it isn't). The best way I have been able to describe this is that it FEELS like my head has been surrounded by a swirling magnetic field. It sort of tickles. It is very hard to describe, but i would say that it almost feels as if the sensation is taking place from my scalp outward (as in outside of my head, like SURROUNDING my head). Which I am WELL aware sounds totally psychotic . And that does not fill me with great glee or optimism. AM i losing my mind? I don't think so. I had a Subarachnoid hemorrhage in 2004 (with no obvious neurological deficits, but i am not so sure that some less externally obvious residual effects have not remained). And although i have had slight similar sensations before the SAH, after the hemorrhage, the intensity and frequency increased 1000% and so did my headaches. This strange sensation, involves no pain, but the intensity will sometimes increase until it does get really annoying, overwhelming and distracting. Like all the others have mentioned, if i touch my head it subsides, but then it creeps back, in a very fluid manner, and within 10 seconds it is back at the level it was at.
I have always at least imagined anyway, that there was some connection with this sensation and the migraines i get. I still cannot correlate them in anything like a useful manner. But when i have had bad headaches for several days, this sensation tends to happen. But it also happens at other times. Someone earlier mentioned Lyme, does this idea hold any water? (with anyone other than the one who originated it?) That doesn't sound too far out. I have been bitten by ticks (decades ago). I'm going to ask my rheumatologist to order the labs to see if that shows anything. What about the bites of certain spiders? Am i the only only one who thinks this seems to have the ring of a neurological toxin to it? What about some sort of heavy metal poisoning? I'm just thinking out loud to people in, if not the same, then at least a somewhat similar boat as i find myself.

PS: I'm taking 2400mg of gabapentin qd now, and that does nothing to put a dent in the occurence or severity of these sensations. But, you know, I've been on Topamax in addition for about a month now, and i'm trying to think if i've had this happen since starting on the Topamax... i don't believe so. Hmmmm. IDK if it's been long enough that the topiramate would have been in my system at a useful blood serum level to really be trying to make any correlations regarding it, but i'll keep watching it.

Good luck to all you folks. You are all in my thoughts and prayers

I have had the same experience for over 15 years and no one can tell me what it is either. The only solution is to say, "In the name of Jesus", 3 times even if you can't move your jaw muscles and watch how quickly it goes away! I've asked God to show me what it is and if its from him, what am I to learn from it. If it is not from him, to remove it in the name of Jesus!

TRUST ME!!! SAY "IN THE NAME OF JESUS" 3 TIMES AND THE SYMPTOMS MYSTERIOUSLY GO AWAY!