Hi, I am 15 yrs old and I have an uncircumsized penis. The problem is that I can't pull back the foreskin and i'm scared to do it because I have tears near the tip that won't heal and continue to open and sting! I need to know how long till I can try to pull back my foreskin! Its very tight and I have before but I develeped this tear!!! HELP!

Hi Graphic,

Normally your foreskin stretches as you grow.  How long have you had the tears in your foreskin?  

You may want to see a urologist about this.  

You are still young and growing.  Hopefully you outgrow this.  A circumcision would resolve it but that would be a last resort.  See the urologist first.

Hi Graphic Zero:

Foreskin stretching is done very gradually. If you are getting tears then you are forcing it and that is NOT the right way to do it.

It is not absolutely necessary to have a foreskin that will retract. A few men live their entire lives with a non-retractable foreskin. They can masturbate, have penetrative sex, get married, and father children with a foreskin that does not retract. Some believe that a penis with a tight foreskin is more sensitive and that sex is better. However, most men prefer to make their foreskin retractable.

Almost all boys are born with a foreskin that does not retract. This is normal. It takes years for the ability to retract to develop. About ½ of boys have a retractable foreskin by 10.4 years of age. Many adolescents still have foreskins that have tips that are too narrow to pass back over the penis head. These foreskins may be gently stretched over a period of time to cause them to widen.

You are normal for your age. Your foreskin is still developing. You can help it develop by stretching it.

When your penis is erect, gently pull your foreskin back against the head of the penis. As the head attempts to pass through the foreskin it will stretch the skin a little. Do this every day and in a few weeks or months your foreskin will widen and you will be able to retract your foreskin. Do NOT force retraction.

It works by tissue expansion. Stretching skin induces “mitosis” which is a word that means “division of cells”. New skin cells are formed and the skin expands but it takes some time. The increase in size is permanent. Be patient and let mitosis do its work.

The important thing is to put the skin under tension every day so that it will grow wider.

A foreskin that never retracts is not healthy, and is a risk factor for penile cancer. At the least it will stink, and he will be at risk of paraphimosis should he ever get it back, or severe tears if forced back during sex. This lad needs to get his problem sorted and should see his physician. I am concerned that he is reporting tears. This could lead to scarring in which case no amount of stretching (you forgot to mention steroid cream Roland, tut, tut!!) will help. He should not be afraid of a circumcision, if conservative approaches fail. To suggest that it is quite OK to go through life with a foreskin that never retracts is irresponsible. Only someone who relies on the misleading claims on intactivist websites, instead of going direct to the peer-reviewed literature, would make such a foolish claim.