Hi all. I’m a bit overweight and I have tried many things in order to lose some. I’ve tried several diet programs, was on few diet pills, but nothing worked. I’ve recently heard that concerta antidepressant can cause some weight loss. Is that true? Could I use it as a diet pill??? I would really like to hear your thoughts. Thanks a lot.

Wow. You really left me speechless!! Concerta is a mild stimulant to the central nervous system (brain and nerves) and is used as antidepressant, to treat attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and narcolepsy. It has nothing to do with weight. Actually, the exact way that Concerta works is still unknown and the drug has a really huuuge list of side effects. Let me mention just a few - an allergic reaction (like difficulty breathing, closing of the throat, swelling of the lips, tongue, or face), chest pains or very high blood pressure, insomnia (difficulty sleeping), nervousness, drowsiness, dizziness, headache, blurred vision, abdominal pain, nausea, or vomitin. There is one side effect that you probably misinterpreted - slower weight gain. You see, that is only the possible side effect plus it will not cause you to LOSE WEIGTH but only TO GAIN IT SLOWER. So, I would certainly NOT recommend you using it for the purpose you’ve mentioned. Hope this helps!

acutally it does help you lose weight, i'm on it, it supresses your appetite and causes rapid weight loss.

I've lost 10 lbs in the first 3 weeks of taking concerta. That said, DO NOT TAKE IT UNLESS SUPERVISED BY A DOCTOR. It's a dangerous medication that can cause serious side effects and has the potential for abuse (if taken outside the normal dose or by someone without ADHD).

If you really want to lose weight, get to the gym and change your diet. It's not "fun" but you'll lose WAY more body fat (to get that toned look). If you do it right (i.e. follow a smart plan) you'll lose an avg of 2lbs per week. Again, you should do this with the supervision of your doctor (who can help you figure out the right plan for your body).

Please please please PLEASE don't take ANYTHING without consulting your doctor. It's not worth risking addiction, serious side effects (like heart problems), and even death. I mean who wants to be a burned out junky with a bad heart?

I am on concerta also, and in 2 and a half weeks, i have lost ten pounds.. sooo yes it does make you loose weight, NOT gain.

Honey - those pills are meant to be taken with a doctor's supervision for something unrelated to being overweight. I am 45 lbs overweight, have been on antidepressants and have recently found out I was misdiagnosed and actually HAVE ADHD and need to take concerta. Trust me - even if I lose weight - I would much rather do it through diet and exercise than having had to go through almost 20 hours worth of psychological testing, numerous counseling appointments and nearly losing a job. Be glad you don't need to take concerta.

On the other hand, it seems you could benefit from therapy. Anyone willing to play with their health and mental stability in order to "easily" lose weight, seems to be a little out of touch with reality. Go see a therapist before you injure yourself!

I lost a large amount of weight on concerta. Concerta made my life 100% easier however i litterally never ate because i was never hungry. you need to be careful when taking this drug.

hi im megan and ya im on concerta it does help u lose a little bit of weight bc it gives u energy u need to stay moving

Why would you use drug to make you loose weight and risk to get sick in the long run....just go to the gym and watch the fat intake....that is all you have to do...

How old is everybody here that takes Concerta? I was recently put on 18mg of Concerta because I've been having a hard time concentrating and everything since a battle with viral meningitis 2 months ago. I'm not concerned about weight loss, but I was wondering how old everyone here is compared to their weight loss

I forgot to mention that I'm 20 haha

What about celexa or effexor???

I have taken welbutrin for the last several years and have recently stopped because I just didn't think it was helping. I also gained about 35 pounds in the last 3 years. I crave carbohydrates and crave eating late at night when I am alone.

I have a great deal of anxiety and I feel like I cannot cope with daily work situations. I procrastinate and avoid.

Do you have any knowledge about my situation? What other medications may be helpful. I have taken Zoloft before & it worked for only a short time.

I live in Orange County California.

Concerta takes away my appetite and at one point I was on "adipex", which is a stimulant prescription diet pill that has been around for 30 years or so and works very well. Concerta feels almost the same as far as appetite control except doesn't make me feel "high" like adipex (phentermine) does. The adipex gave me more energy. I have the Concerta for ADD and it helps me concentrate A LOT better. If you are looking for a weight loss drug, I'd ask for phentermine (adipex is a brand name) since it is for that purpose, and I think it gives you more energy to work out & get stuff done. Adipex (or generic phentermine) is also A LOT CHEAPER. I wouldn't try Concerta which is for ADD, as it only helps with focus & concentration...with a "side effect" of supressed appetite. Just try to get what you need, not something that is for another problem, that happens to have a side effect you like the idea of. Now, if you have ADD or ADHD and you're overweight, I guess the appetite supression can be a bonus, but I wouldn't go on it just for that. There are other things to help with that, that work even better & cost less.

I just started taking concerta about a month ago and I have lost about 15-20 lbs it just makes not hungry. Some days I forget to even eat.