Hi, I am six months pregnant. I didn't have any complications, but recently I saw a television show about genetic disorders that disturbed me a lot. I had no idea that a baby can inherit some blood disorders that parents did not have. Some of explanations were not quite clear to me so I was wondering if you might know something about these genetic blood disorders.

Hi, unfortunately I am very familiar with one of these genetic blood disorders. My sister's son is suffering from thalassemia. Neither my sister nor my brother-in-low were diagnosed with this condition, so we were all surprised when the doctor told us the news. The problem with some of the genetic disorders, including thalassemia, is the fact that parents don't have to be sick with this illness in order for their baby to develop mentioned condition. Each of the parents has to only be a carrier of the mutated gene and if a baby inherits both of the genes he or she will developed genetic blood disorder. But there is also a chance that the baby becomes a carrier, or that it even does not inherit either of mutated genes. My nephew was not that fortunate, but the good thing in this situation is that he developed thalassemia minor and does not need frequent blood transfusions. Thalassemia is actually a type of anemia that, in its most difficult form, can cause death. My sister and brother-in-low did not know that they are carriers of the mutated genes, so my sister did not do any of the prenatal genetic tests that would determine if her baby is the carrier of this kind of gen. If you think that your baby might be in some kind of danger visit your doctor, tell him about your concerns and ask him to perform prenatal genetic tests on you.