Hi, I am a twenty five years old pregnant woman. I found out that I am pregnant only few days ago. But now there is a problem. I have cystic fibrosis. This concerns me very much. I heard that women with this kind of illness have small chances for a long life after giving birth. Is this true? Also I am very worried about my baby. Will there be any problems with it?

Hi, I will give you some data about cystic fibrosis in pregnancy. This illness is genetic. In order to get it, you must inherit two cystic fibrosis gens, one from mother and one from father. There was a case in which a woman with cystic fibrosis died six weeks after giving birth. But that was long time ago. Medicine has improved very much since then. You should see a doctor and he will direct you to the CF physician. He will need to perform a test on your husband to see if he has a CF gen as well. That way he will determine the chances of baby inheriting this illness. He will after few months order an amniocentesis test to see what genes did the baby inherit. Also your condition must be monitored more often. The drugs you are taking are to be rechecked to see the affect they might be having on the baby. There is also a chance for you to develop cystic fibrosis related diabetes after the child birth. I am sure that you are aware of the seriousness of cystic fibrosis. Now that you are pregnant you will have to be more careful than before. Therefore, you should listen to your doctor and follow his every order if you want you and your baby to go through this pregnancy with as least complications as possible.