Hello! I am 6 months pregnant and I have recently found out my dad had cystic fibrosis and I now would like to hear whether this cystic fibrosis is genetic related for I have heard it is very possible that my baby now inherits this illness so I wonder is there anyway I could prevent her from the cystic fibrosis and what I should be doing now to check up on this possible cystic fibrosis genetic might cause my baby to get this illness despite the fact that I never had no cystic fibrosis symptoms? Thanks!

Hello? I think you just like me are the cystic fibrosis carrier regarding the fact you dad had cystic fibrosis –which is a serious illness by the way- and this illness is inherited. But for someone to inherit the cystic fibrosis needs not only to inherit the defected gene from one parent but from both of them. So now I have 6 year old son that was tested on cystic fibrosis but is not seek at all for his dad is negative on this. so I recommend you and your husband do some blood and saliva test-that is what I have done while I was pregnant with my baby- just to make sure if there is any cystic fibroses genetic bases so if both of test are positive than it is more likely your baby get cystic fibrosis but I don't think your husband is cystic fibrosis carrier for you would have already know that but anyway it is always better to have this test done there are some kinds of cystic fibrosis treatment even before the child is born.

First of all, it is amazing that your dad has cystic fibrosis and was able to conceive and has lived this long. My son has it and the average life span for the disease is 35. As far as the other post goes people may not know they are carriers of the gene. My sons father and I had no idea. I am surprized that if your father actually has it, his doctor hasnt suggested to have all of his children tested. Are you 100% sure it is cystic fibrosis and not another form of fibrosis.
Your doctor should offer you an amniocentesis around 4-6 months which tests for the probability of certain diseases in the baby. This can tell you if there is a chance your child will have it. If your child doesnt get the disease (I pray she doesn't) then your husband and yourself should get tested immediately before you decide to have more children. I only say this because most children are hospitalized so much and struggle to breathe and eat their whole lives. Then majority of them have heart-lung transplants by their early 20's. Its a hard life for them.