I know very well, that hemochromatosis is iron overload disease. I know it because my mother has this disorder since I know for myself. I have been watching her with all these symptoms for years already. Each treatment we went through together with her, so I understand it is not so simple. What I need to know if henmochromatosis is hereditary, to know should I expect it one day.

I have to disappoint you saying it is proven there is connection between this disease and genes. Genetic or hereditary hemochromatosis is mainly associated with a defect in a gene called HFE. This gene helps regulate the amount of iron absorbed from food, which is the main problem in this disease. There are two known important mutations in HFE, which are able to cause occurring hemochromatosis in child of sick parent. The genetic defect is present at birth, but symptoms rarely appear before adulthood. Only a person who inherits the defective gene from both parents may develop hemochromatosis. Defective gene from only one parent is a carrier for the disease but usually does not develop it. Scientists hope that further study of HFE will reveal how the body normally metabolizes iron when is health. They also want to learn how iron injures cells and whether it contributes to organ damage in some other diseases. Beside this, there are two more forms of the disease: juvenile hemochromatosis and neonatal hemochromatosis. Those are not caused by an HFE defect, and their cause is unknown.