Couldn't find what you looking for?

TRY OUR SEARCH!

Hello, folks. I have been suffering from cystic fibrosis. My wife and I are thinking of conceiving a child, but we are afraid that he/she might inherit this disease. We would like to know the possibility for my child to inherit it. I would appreciate all your advices considering this. Thank you in advance.

Loading...

Hello, there. In cystic fibrosis there is a defective gene that regulates a protein responsible for normal salt transport. This gene is a recessive one. It means that a child must inherit both defective genes from both of his parents in order to get the disease. If both parents have defective gene, there is 25 percent of a chance that a child will develop a disease, 50 percent that he will be a carrier of defective gene and 25 percent that he will not be either sick or a carrier. So, you can ask for a genetic examination of your wife to see whether she carries this defect gene. You should consult a doctor about this. I hope this helps. Good luck! Bye!
Reply

Loading...