Our 10 days old grandson was finally diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. I said finally, because it took doctors 6 days to determine the cause of baby's problems. They said that there is a possibility that one or both parents are illness carrier. Is that even possible? Can you be cystic fibrosis carrier and not know it through your entire life?

If we are talking about baby diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, we must say that parents could be the cause, and than again, do not have to be. Small mutation of one gene could be the root of that baby's misfortune. And yes, Cystic fibrosis carrier does not have to be aware of its condition and still live a normal healthy life.

Cystic Fibrosis IS caused by a mutated gene given by both parents. Majority of people with CF have the mutation titaled DELTAF508. You can not get it with only one gene. There is also no way in knowing if you have the gene or not unless someone in your family has CF or has been tested. I am sorry about the diagnosis, my son also has it. I hope his doctors are in touch with all of the latest treatments and he has a CF specializing pulmonologist. It will make all the difference in the world. Let me know if you have any question.

My father and his sister both have cf. cf is passed down through the parents and it is a genetiv disease. it is most unlikely that your grandson will have cf and his parents are not carriers.

Both parents ARE CARRIERS. They both passed on the CF gene (double recessive) and their child has two CF genes and that is what makes the disease present. Carriers have ZERO symptoms that would show up to exacerbate their health although many carriers report CF like symptoms later in life, these are all treatable and do not shorten their lives like the actual disease does. This means that YOU or YOUR HUSBAND are also carriers and passed the CF gene on to your son. Even when you have two carriers having a child, there is still only a one in four chance that the baby will get both copies of the CF gene and present with Cystic Fibrosis. I am the Mother of two children with Cystic Fibrosis, ages 19 and 17 with Delta F 508 mutation. The lead wonderful lives filled with friends, college, travel, sports and yes...hospital visits. One in 26 caucasion Americans are carriers of the CF gene. There are over 1000 different mutations known to date. Please log on and join The Cystic Fibrosis Foundations web site and learn more. God Bless. -Roxanne