Hi, I have a question about Parkinson's disease. My grandmother had this condition and I am worried I might have some chances of inheriting the illness. I have read somewhere that the Parkinson's disease might be inheritable and that there are two types of genetic causes for it. Could you tell me want these two types of genetic causes of Parkinson's disease are?

Hi, Parkinson's disease is a central nervous system condition. In most of the cases the illness is idiopathic, which means that there is no known cause of the disease. However, sometimes the illness can be caused by a head trauma, some toxins or genetic mutations. What you have read is correct. There are two kinds of genetic mutations that make a person susceptible for the onset of Parkinson's disease. These mutations are registered on chromosome 4 and chromosome 6. The mutation on chromosome 4 results in the formation of abnormal alpha-synuclein protein, which can be found in neurons, and the mutation on the chromosome 6 causes the synthesis of Parkin protein which is believed to destroy some neuronal proteins. But, these genetic changes do not imply that you are going to develop Parkinson's disease. Even if you have inherited the mutated genes it only means you are more susceptible to develop Parkinson's and not that you will get the illness for certain.