Is cystic fibrosis inherited? I need to know this because my sister recently gave birth to a baby boy who was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis few days later. Doctors said that there is possibility that he got this disease from his parents, so I'm curious about this illness. Can I be the carrier? My husband and I are planning to have a baby; I have to be aware of everything that could endanger our future child.

Cystic fibrosis could be inherited from parents. Your sister is a carrier, but the gene was not active in her case. Unfortunately, it became active in her baby. There is other possibility – gene mutation. Whatever the cause, you must know that you can also be the carrier. One of the methods, when you get pregnant of course, to determine if your fetus is affected is prenatal diagnosis. In that way, you can decide whether to keep the fetus or not.

if u want to find out go to your local gp, he can do tests that will determine wether you and your husband are carriers.