Has anyone had a red pyogenic granuloma start growing in the corner of your eye after pinguecula/pterygium surgery?? My ophthamologist said to keep taking steroids and hope it goes away..if not, I could get it excised (cut off), but it may grow back. Has anyone had success removing one?

Thanks!

Dear Eyetroubl, Granuloma is a known but not a very common complication of pterygium surgery or in fact any surgery that involve cutting the conjunctiva. Many cases resolve spoantaneously with the use of topical steroids ( drops ) , steroid injections around the lesion or surgery. I think that its unlikely to come back as complete healing of the conjunctiva follows normally. the pterygium itself , although, may reccur and again this depends on the way the surgery was done i.e. autograft , MMC or 5FU injection or even radiotherapy at the time of the surgery. 

I did in my right eye and its fine now three years later. Now the same thing happen in my left eye and he is waiting 4 months to get it excised. how long after your Pterygium did you have your Granuloma removed.