I have been in contact with Harvard Eye Clinic in CA about pinguecula removal. They claim they do a no stitch surgery where they take a graft from health part of eye, remove the pinguecula and place grafted in pinguecula site. I was wondering about scarring due to this process. I am a 30 year old male law student and I have had pinguecula on nasal side for 5 years. It is constantly red and rather noticible. Any thoughts. Thanks Nicholas.

Is the procedure the same for a pterygium just like the pinguecula. I too am looking to get my pterygium removed in the summer of 07(at Harvard eye clinic in CA) and want to know if anyone has had this done. Feedback from the procedure would be nice.

I too am looking at Harvard eye clinic for the removal of a pterygium. It is very difficult to find any before and after remarks/pictures. Does this work? Has anyone had this done there or anywhere else.
I too am a student and I read a ton and it is always red and irritated - i can't put drops in my eyes for the rest of my life. Has anyone had this done?

Hello, I am a 24 yr old female and I have had a pinguecula in both eyes for a few years now. My eyes are also very dry, which I feel is partially due to the pinguecula because my problem started getting worse when the pingueculum did. However, the opthamologist I was seeing seems to disagree and not really care about all the agony this is causing me. He told me it would just come back and make my eye more dry. For the past year or so my eyes have been almost constantly irritated and the pingueculum are getting worse and worse. I have 2 plugs in each eye to try to increase the moisture, which has helped somewhat, but my eyes are still always irritated, imflamed, and tired. After seeing this doctor for a few months, paying $500 for plugs and putting drops in my eyes about every hour, I decided to do some research myself. On 3/28, I will be having the larger pinguecula removed at Harvard Eye Institute. The doctor there told me he thought it would make my eyes less dry and that with the graft procedure the reccurence rate is 1%. Im scared because I have doctors telling me different things, but I am confident that the doctors at Harvard Eye know what they are doing. All I know is that I cant go on any longer with my eyes in this condition. The downfall is that because it hasnt grown onto the cornea, its not covered by insurance, so I have to pay $2200, which I am financing. At this point, I'll pay anything. I agree with a lot of people on here that most doctors think that its only cosmetic, but I feel that if they had to deal with this, they would think otherwise (I even told the last dr that and he seemed offended). Anyway, I hope all goes well and I will keep anyone updated thats interested. %-) %-)

Please keep me posted!

Its been about a week and a half since my surgery and I would say that I am very happy with my results so far. My eye has healed very fast and went from very red and a bruised cheek the first morning to a more pinkish color only in the corner and the bruise almost gone. I dont think its typical to heal this fast, maybe because Im young. Even though my eye is still irritated slightly because its healing, I am so happy I had the procedure done. It is so nice to not have to worry about my pinguecula become inflamed and itchy. If anyone has any questions, Id be happy to answer them, I know its hard to find follow up info on here because everyone disappears :-)

Hi katy. Are you still around? How long has it been since your surgery and how are the results? I'm sick and tired of my red eyes...I look stoned most of the time.

Help?

Hello Katie, my name is Selina and I am also considering getting the pinguecula in both my eyes removed. I also have dry eyes and it is driving me cracy. I will be getting the plugs you refer to in your letter to try and help my condition this week. Could you please especify what the graft system is, do they take a graft from a healthy part of your eye or is it some other kind of artificial tissue. My eye doctor said that sometimes you do not need stitches anyway, and I have read so much about the pinguecula coming back worse than before that I do not want the operation to be carried out unless Im sure he is using the latest techniques. Could you please keep us all posted on your progress, I know there are many of us out there going through hell t make this decision. I am very curious to know how your eye is after several weeks or months. Thank you so much!!

Selina

Kayti
I am so glad that you are doing good. Keep the updates coming! I am in the midst of preparing to schedule the surgery for my pterygium but was wanting to see some before and after photos of a successful surgery.

On a side note:
I haven't connected with anyone that has had a pterygium removed successfully and wants to share! So if you are reading this please share your good/bad encounters with the procedure.

Thank you,

Hello everyone,

It has been 3 weeks since my surgery and my eye is so much more comfortable! You can barely even tell that I had anything done to my eye, and I am so pleased that I am scheduling to have the other eye done soon. The procedure that I had done was where they take a healthy part of your eye and graft it onto the piece that they remove. The newest technology is where they use a glue instead of stitches, which is what I had done. Not too many doctors are using this yet because its not FDA approved for the eye, but it is for other parts of the body. I do not have any after pictures, and if I did I would not know how to share them with everyone, but I can tell you it was bad before, very red all the time and now there is a small yellowish patch with a tiny bit of redness, all of which should blend in with time.

I have been following your email string with much interest and am very glad to hear of your success and happyness with the results. I have the exact same problem and can completely relate. I am now encouraged to move forward. I just need to find someone in the NYC area that has the knowledge and skills to do this operation. PLease keep us posted and good luck.

Rob

n

Kayti' I am 38 years old and will scheduling a pinguecula removal in the next few days at Harvard eye. Can you please post some before and after photos. I have lived with this for 20 years and am tired of having red sensitive eyes. can't wait to see photos. good luck

I dont know how to post photos on here but I have found some online, if you go to google images and type in pterygium autograft the first result shows 3 images, the first image is before, second is one week after, third is a few months I think. My eye looked much better after the first week and after only 3 weeks it looks very similar to the final pic. Hope this helps!

Hi Kayti,

I am so pleased that your eye surgery went well for you, thanks for sharing your experience as it is hard to find a patients perspective on the . I have to get the same procedure done too. I was wondering how long it took you to recover from the op? Did you have to have time off work?

Thx,

Liz

kayti,

congrates on ping removal. now the big question. Do you see any signs that your ping is returning? Iwas told by an eye dr. here in TX.that it would return, and possibly worse than before. Please answer honestly, as I will soon be scheduling an appointment at harvard eye for ping removal.... thanks