Hello everybody,

I have a pinguecula ...... everybody says it's not noticeable but it really bothers me ... apparently I have had it for the past 10 years (slowly grew) but only recently I started focusing on it more often, and it just bothers me mostly aesthetically ....

I started searching surgery options and in my searches I found out that them best surgery method would be the conj autograft ....
doc Gulani, from Miami, who pays a lot of money in marketing so probably many of you have heard of him before, does the conj autograft with amniotic membrane instead of stitches ...
On the other side a local eye doc (in NY, where I live), called Robert Latkany, from dryeyedoctor.com, does the Conj autograft procedure but with no amniotic membrane, instead he uses regular stitches because he says that the amniotic membrane has been associated to the mad cow disease and he wouldn't want to risk.

All this said, I heard that with the amniotic membrane procedure the recurrence rate is almost absent, although doc Latkany in NY said that with the autograft procedure with stitches the recurrence rate is less than 3% .... (and he put it in writing in an email he sent me, although Doc gulani wouldn't put it in writing as far as I know).

I wrote to a few people who had the procedure done with doc Gulani, and they were extremely happy with him, but knowing the doc and his immense thirst of fame I have always the feeling that he had paid those people to give positive reviews.

On the other hand I never heard of anybody having the surgery with doc. Latkany even though he said they do more pinguecula surgeries than most in all the northeast ....

Now, I really do not know what to do ..... should I fly to Miami and go to the marketing guru/doctor who I have heard and read of who uses the amniotic membrane that might cause the cow disease, or stick locally with a regular, more modest doc who has done this procedure before but uses regular stitches that usually tend to take longer to heal and from what I read has a higher chance of recurrence .....
This is a dilemma, any suggestion is appreciated.

Please also let me know if you ever heard of doc Robert Latkany.

Thanks!

Nobody ever heard of doc Robert Latkany?? c'mon :-(

Hi there,

I found your post while doing some search on the pyterigium removal surgery. I have been having the same experiences that you described. My eye is getting worse and I really want to get the surgery. I live in NY and cannot find anyone that does the no stich grafting surgery. I'm considering going to Jacksonville, FL to have Dr. Gulani do the surgery. Seeing someone locally obviously would be preferred but if Gulani comes with great referrals I am willing to travel to hm.

Did you end up getting the surgery? Who did you go to and what was your experience.

Any feedback you can provide would be great.

Thanks in advance!!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Hey! Did you get the surgery? I am seriously considering getting it done by mid-May. Let me know which Doctor you went to and how it went....I'm thinking of letting Dr. Gulani do the surgery, but I'm a little nervous.

Thank you

In response to your post, I could not help but take the time to write our personal experience with Dr. Gulani and the Gulani Vision Institute.

This is a surgeon that does not care for any fame and his patients are so impressed with his care and personal touch that they (as we) have taken personal endeavors to spread his name. Note, all patients that we spoke to have paid for the procedure (like we did), no deals or discounts so we may write nice things at all.

When we were researching our options; the only other practice that came up was Havard eye in California. Now this practice (Havard Eye) surely advertises heavily. What attracted us to Dr. Gulani was that we researched thru my sources and found out that all his work and reputation was Natural (meaning not paid for), also he had scientific publications and more importantly when we checked with surgeons we knew, practically every eye surgeon spoke highly of his skills and practice.

My friend had pinguecula surgery with Dr. Gulani and she like all of his patients is fascinated, both by her outcomes and with the care she received. She recently flew down for her follow up and has also shared her story for other patients and people like her who are suffering or end up with complications at the hands of surgeons who advertise all over.
The very next day after surgery she was made to walk up to a mirror. We were shell shocked with Happiness). It was like a miracle! (just like all his patients keep talking about)

Dr. Gulani not only does not pay any patient to say things, he does not advertise at all. We, his patients are forcing him to do so. We wish and pray that he does so many people can be helped.
It is the most unique practice in the world where one of the most elegant, innovative and talented eye surgeons in the world practices strictly by word of mouth and sees patients flying from the every corner of earth. He even fixes complications of other eye surgeons and is a second opinion destination for other top surgeons in universities in the USA as well as leading eye surgeons in the world.

The contrast I saw when I accompanied my friend was that we expected a cold, famous doctor who would maybe spend a minute with us and seal our fate; instead we met a person who is so concerned and personal in his care and spent all the time we needed with us.
We also know that he is famous for having patients fly back to their homes if they do not understand the seriousness of surgery.
While we kept mentioning all great things we had heard from his patients (they all paid for their procedures), he said that was fine but he would still want to educate us and proceeded with an exhaustive Q & A session.

His care hasn’t changed after surgery too. He calls you right back when you call and also gave his cell phone to us. He called even on the weekend and saw us on a Sunday by opening his office since we had a concern and were leaving that day (Sunday).

It is an experience to be experienced to have a doctor of this caliber and then to have him treat you as a friend. I saw while I was there at the institute, Lasik patients who had flown from across the country- New York, Texas, California and also across the globe- Russia and London.

I asked him actually that one of his patients did not respond to my email. He explained that they do not pay any patients and so each patient of course is doing it at their convenience. Many of his patients became inundated with emails from scores of patients form all over the planet and they had to change their emails for privacy reasons.
So strict is Dr. Gulani in his honesty that he requested these patients to post their follow ups on a regular basis if possible so other patients get a true representation and no hype (he said the same to us).

When you see him, you are greeted with respect and a warmth that is non- existent in today’s medical field.
The office is like a 7 star lobby, the staff is so welcoming and warm and the doctor himself spends endless time explaining the situation, possible surgical techniques and outcomes with emphasis on chances of recurrence as well as complications.

All this while all his patients and eye surgeons nationwide sing his praises and have nicknamed him to be the “da Vinci” of eye surgery.

You have to become a Gulani Vision patient to see how strongly you start feeling about the practice and the level of care. You can only wish that your other doctors would learn from him

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Here is a video I found on Youtube of the patient I witnessed while at the Gulani Vision Institute lobby (she was returning to Europe) after her surgery with Dr.Gulani and was in tears as she requested to have pictures with him while he was giving her and her husband his cell phone

Amniotic membrane graft for a pinguecula is plain nuts. It is a good procedure for significant pterygium . A primary pinguecula should be excised without autograft or amniotic membrane graft. Period!!!!!

Seriously, Dr Gulani pays his patients to advertise and spread the word. His from desk secretaries are always on youtube posting videos, and then making seperate accounts and posting comments on the videos. They do the same on all the forums, they make up accounts and post really long testimonials to suck ppl in. I know of three ppl that have had pterygium surgery with Dr Gulani that have had regrowths in less than a year.

Ask yourself and Dr Gulani, "Has he ever published research done on his pterygium removal method, and has he documented the reccurance rates?"....Do a google search, and the answer is NO.

Now do a search on "Pterygium Extended Removal Followed by Extended Removal" and there you will see documented research and it's reccurence rate which is 1%. Professor Lawrence Hirst is from Australia, and it may cost me alot to get my pterygium surgery done, but when I have the money, he'll be doing my surgery because for first shot is your best shot....The one thing I dont want is a reccurence.

Do alot of research, don't just do something like this on impulse. I haven't done my surgery yet because I don't have the money, but when I do it will be woth the right method and the right doctor.

I can assure you I am an actual unpaid patient posting this to offer someone like myself some hope.

About a month ago, I began searching the web for options hoping to find information about treatment for this condition that I could no longer live with. I found a chat forum like this, where I read about a girl like myself, who had undergone Dr. Gulani's no stitch amniotic graph surgery and was very happy with the results. I decided to schedule a consultation and prepare for surgery. I was surprised to learn that my United Healthcare Insurance would cover the procedure (although I would have postponed grad school to pay for it). And I had already resolved in my mind that any result would be better than what I was currently living with. Still, as badly as I wanted this, I knew it was major surgery and although I had found the BEST EYE SURGEON IN THE WORLD; the thought of this surgery was still a little scary. During the actual surgery, I was completely asleep and didn’t feel a single thing. I woke up with very little pain, but they gave me something for that. As I slept that night, I wondered what my eye looked like under that patch. In fact, I didn’t WANT to see it, fearing the worst and dreading removing the protection and comfort of the patch. However, Dr. Gulani called my hotel room that night to check on me which was very comforting. The next morning Dr. Gulani removed my patch while his office manager recorded on film. My vision was a little blurry, and I hesitated to approach the mirror, but I was AMAZED by what I saw!! Perfection!!!
I took the next several days off work to relax and baby my eye. There are about 4 different eye drops that need to be inserted every 4-6 hours, and I was still taking the pain meds as needed, but it wasn’t too bad at all! Besides, I enjoyed the time off. Every time I look in the mirror, I smile! I just went back for my 2-week follow up and it is healing so well! I plan to have the other eye corrected when Dr. Gulani returns from his European tour as he teaches other doctors around the world his world-renowned techniques. I am so happy with my decision and with the results. I would highly recommend Dr. Gulani if you are thinking about surgery for your condition. Go to Click on testimonials. Then click on pterygium/pinguecula treatment. You’ll see tons of testimonials, including my video. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

I totally agree with Jessica! I have been a patient of Dr. Gulani's a couple of times...and believe me...no one else will touch my eyes!

Dr. Gulani is so competent and self-assured, that to some folks it may seem like just "ego". But once you are his patient and have had surgery, you know that it is real confidence and a passion to help people see as perfectly as possible. We are not paid! But we are so happy with the results that we want to tell other people who need vision help of any kind.

I was sent to him by my regular eye doctor in Gainesville who was the first one who finally told me that I had pterygium and needed surgery....what a shock! It had already grown (both eyes) to a point where it was interferring with the cornea and having a real effect on my vision. Thank God I was sent to Dr. Gulani in Jacksonville...I cannot imagine having that surgery done with stitches! I too had the amniotic tissue graft. It has been 4 years now since that surgery and no signs of "mad cow" (give me a break!) or re-growth. By the way, he asked my permission to have other doctors there so they could observe and learn the technique. I also had cataracts growing and though Dr. Gulani would like to have followed up with laser to remove some corneal scarring, he encouraged me (the patient) to decide when to have the cataracts removed, followed by laser. I waited 3 more years, and had the cataract surgeries this summer (like I said, no one else is touching these eyes). I had the ReStor lenses instead of a mono vision lens to replace the removed lens. Then, a month later, had a laser procedure done which was tailored to my eyes, to remove some scarring and fix astigmatism....I can now see all distances....no glasses at all. I am one very "happy camper". Whoever is saying that patients are being paid to advertise for Gulani doesn't know very much, and probably doesn't really know exactly what the Dr. can do. I brought a friend in to see him who had a botched cataract surgery. Normally he can fix most of these problems and could have fixed hers, but she also had retina problems. He let her know that he would not do surgery unless he knew that the patient would benefit and would actually see better. In her case, if he corrected the "floating lens", as I call it, she still would not have improved vision. He won't do surgery just to "do surgery". My cousin from NY flew in to have his cataract surgery done by Gulani. His cataracts were at least 15 years old, very hard and dense. He is absolutely thrilled with the outcome and can see everything clearly now.
I plan on doing a YouTube video as my "word of mouth" way of getting info out about Gulani....paid? absolutely not! Just want to let others know how competent he is!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I've been doing a lot of research, and this gulani guy is just a salesman. he's in it for the money. 

How can you make that kind of libelous, slanderous claim about a Dr. without actually experiencing surgery under his expert care? You can do all the "research" you want, but until you have had a serious condition, been sent specifically to Dr. Gulani because of his expertise in doing the Pterygium surgery without stitches (using the membrane), then you really don't know. I have, and I do know first hand. There isn't anyone else I'd let do surgery like that on my eyes. Read my post right above yours....I'm an actual patient, not paid like some folks are saying we are. Eye surgery is nothing to play around with....I have seen patients' eyes ruined because of botched cataract surgery. I brought one friend who had that awful experience to see Dr. Gulani because everyone else she had been to told her it was a lost cause and they didn't want to deal with trying to repair the problem. Dr. Gulani, with both the patient and me in the room, showed us on the computer monitor exactly what the problem was. Could it be fixed.....yes! Others didn't want to touch it for fear of making it worse (maybe being sued???), but Dr. Gulani laid out exactly what he would do and why.

Scam. Two posts. signed up for the post and nothing since.

I've been reading his review. No. Dr. get's all perfect reviews and then a handful of terrible ratings. He's a scam. Tried to find actual government research to backup what his techniques. None and all articles and reviews are written by him. The only legitimate Dr. I have found is in Australia. Lawrence W. Hirst, MD, chief executive officer of Queensland Eye Institute in Brisbane, Wish I could afford to go there. I will definitely not be going to Dr. Gulani

Certainly your choice as to the Dr. you choose to do your surgery. My choice was Dr. Gulani, he did an excellent job with my eyes. My condition had gotten to the point of infringing on my retina, causing more vision problems. I guess there are more Doctors here in the states who are now doing that surgery without stitches, but at the time I had mine done, he was one of the very few. All I can say is that I'm very happy with my outcome and the choice I made.