It has now been 8 weeks since I had surgery for removal of Morton's Neuroma in my right foot. I am still experiencing a lot of pain and cramping in my toes. The doctor said the surgery was successful and that I also had some arthritis in one of my toes that he did a "capsul" extraction on while he was in there. This toe is giving me more trouble than anything. The area where the Neuroma's were seems to be better but I feel I have traded one problem for another !!! Has anyone had any similar experiences? Any comments on the time frame? I thought maybe I was just rushing the healing process but it sure seems I should be further along by now. Any comments will be welcome as I am very frustrated and down about it !!! Thanks- Cheryl

I would never go through this again. I had bi-lateral neuroma surgery 6 months ago. My feet are numb constantly and there is an achiness that is undescribeable. I went from lancing pain to this overwhelming numbness. I sometimes wonder if it was Peripheral Neuropathy and not morton's neuroma. The opinions were mixed on the diagnosis. I went with something that was a "cure". Since there is no cure for PN.

i

Hi my name is Tekla,

I have Morton's Neuroma in both of my feet in two places each. Last year I had surgery on my left foot. After therapy and injections didn't work for me. I was so hoping surgery was going to change my life and I wasn't going to have to deal with pain any more in my foot. I was wrong. I deal with more pain now than ever. Not only do I still feel like I am walking on marbles I can't feel 3 of my toes and my foot is still so sore. It feels bruised on top and bottom. I continued injections after surgery for pain after dr. thought maybe stump neuroma. I wish I had answers and I wish I could just go for a long walk with my husband and kids. I want to just do every day normal things without the pain. Is that possible? I just turned 30 and I have feet of a 90 year old woman.

If anyone was any suggestions and can help please let me know. I have plenty of wide toe box shoes and inserts. They are a little help but not much.

Thanks, TC

I was interested in the experience others had with regard to MN. I am a bit discouraged by what I have found so far. I am 4 days past surgery to remove NM from left foot. Because of prior use of powerful pain medicines to relieve pain associated with major back surgery I have high tolerance to the use of these medicines now. I am essentially dealing with pain from MN surgery with nothing more than an ice pack. I have not received info from surgeon about what to expect down the road. The responses on this website are not encouraging. I was hoping someone would write about a good experience. There must be some. I can empathize with those of you who are having problems following removal of NM. Would be nice if those reporting problems now would soon begin to find improvement. It sounds like recovery times are NOT SHORT. My URL is _[removed]_ If anyone cares to exchange thoughts/experiences. :'(

Dear Tekla,
I have a Morton's neuroma also in my left foot and have been dealing with the pain for 2 1/2 years. I am in my thirties and have kids and a husband that I would just love to go on walks with, too. Finally, I can! I'm wondering what kind of inserts you are using. I used many from the stores and even had Kaiser custom make them for me and none worked. I finally went to a place called Foot Solutions in San Jose (or maybe it's Campbell) in California. Anyway, they made a custom orthotic for me using a machine that you stand on and it figures out the orthotic perfectly. I think the key for a neuroma is to have metatarsal support. With these orthotics, I no longer have pain and can walk for hours. I even did Disneyland! Some shoe stores that specialize in orthotics can make them for you. It is expensive, though. About $175 for a pair of orthotics. But to me, it was worth it! I probably spent that on all the different other inserts I tried!

This is in reply to Tekla. Have you tried having custom orthotics made? I had some made by Kaiser and they didn't work. I went to a shoe store called Foot Solutions in San Jose, Ca. and they made custom orthotics using a machine that you stand on. Now I can walk for hours with no pain. I think the key is metatarsal support as well as arch support. Some shoe stores that specialize in orthotics can make them for you. I tried many of the other inserts and nothing worked until this. Good luck!

Hello, I've been hurting from Morton's neuroma for about 4 mos, and trying everything I can because I don't want surgery. In th elast week I started laser therapy IN ADDTION to icing 3 x per day, rest and inserts and pads wehn I absolutely have to walk. I try to use the wheelchair around the house and shopping. 8 days of laser is working wonders. I was going to a Nucca Chiropractor for treatment and he let me bring a hand held laser home. I used it 2-3 x per day for 8 minutes on each foot after icing both feet for 10 minutes. I'm so ecstatic I purchased the machine so I can keep it up. I no longer feel the knot in one foot, but still feel it in the other. Also, I got some new balance extra wide shoes and am making a point to stop leaning on my feet differently to compensate which was starting to cause new problems. So, when I do walk, I try to walk correctly. If you haven't tried laser therapy TRY IT !!!

I had bilateral neuroma surgery almost a year ago. I'm sure that I have something other than neuromas now. I was originally diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy...even though many of the tests didn't comfirm it. After surgery, I know still get achiness....bad numbness...do to the nerves being removed...and only comfortable in Birks....tight socks...or dress shoes are horrible. My podiatrist told me that I would only experience slight numbness in exchange for the lancing pain I was getting. Well....I feel my crappy feet 24/7. It is NOT fun. I used to be very athletic....now....I am so depressed.

Hello to all.

I am a bit worried after reading all your posts! I am 20 years old and play loads of different sports, after thinking that I had two broken toes for about a year I went to the Doctor who then sent me to the orthopeadic specialist. Few days later I had an ultrasound scan to show 2 neuromas in between my 2/3 and 3/4 meta tarsels. Yesterday I had the 3/4 neuroma removed as it was 12mm big! I am a competitive runner and play football to a high standard.

Has anyone had any success at all following this removal?!

I will keep posted on recovery.

Wizzy

I had the surgery exactly 4 weeks ago. So far, recovery is coming along very well. I'm walking with only an ACE bandage now and just taking prescription Ibuprofen and xtra strength Tylenol. The pain from the surgery has almost completely faded. As a long distance runner, it was a very frightening decision to do this, but the pain from the neuroma after races was horrible. All the more conservative methods failed. In approximately 2 weeks I should be back to running and life will be wonderful again. I think with a good surgeon, there's no reason to worry about having this procedure done. Yes, it's going to hurt for a time afterwards, but it's only temporary. All in all, it's a very common procedure and if anyone has been advised to do it, I'd say go for it. :-D

I can empathize with each of you with your feelings, experiences dealing with the traumas post op for the failure of reflief of Mortan's Neuromas. I am almost four months out from a surgery on both feet for Neuromas and a fascia release. I now experience shooting pains in my toes, rather like an electrical shock being administered, to toes not even near the surgical sight. I have a limp even though I wear the orthotics in my shoes. I was told by the Podiatrist that it would take up to 6 months for these symptoms to ease up. Prior to surgery, I was told two-three months to heal.
I fear that I am ruined from taking part in my usual, normal activities: walking my dog, caring for my yard & home, taking any trips and yes, even returning to my enjoyment of dancing. I have been in pain for over a year prior to surgery; thought surgery was the correct cure.
I should have looked into finding an expert in Orthopedics at a teaching hospital instead of a Podiatrist. I hope some of you did go to a reputable Orthopedic Center for your problems, but, I bet you also went to a Podiatrist. I've heard horror stories from other patients locally (fifty mile radius) who made a similar choice for their surgery. They, too, are handicapped now. There are a few good surgeons out there, but they are of the minority.
I, too, just want to be free of pain and to resume my once very active, fun life. How I wish I had never opted for surgery. I'm now in a heavy, 22 inch boot that keeps my foot from flexing (ordered by an Orthopedic specialist for foot problems). It is killing my back to even lift the ten pound boot to walk. Yes, the swelling is down but my foot still hurts at the site of surgery and in my toes. Anybody else given this torture device post-op?
I have no positive answers for any of you; I am sorry! I am a Nurse and am so disappointed and yes, angry, that I was not given an expert diagnosis and end up with such a negative surgery result. I still feel like I'm walking on a hard rock at the surgery site; I know I will have to have it redone. Sad commentary on the Medical Community, isn't it?
Let me know if any of you ladies finally have relief from your surgery; there must be hope for all of us who have suffered unnecessarily at the hands of these inept surgeons. I will pray for each of you to recover.
All the Best,
Pam

Stacybutton-can you tell me what laser you are using that is helping? I'd like to know the model number, etc, so I can look into getting one as well.

thank you,

:D

Disappointing to learn of so many unhappy subjects following neuroma surgery. I (so far ) seemto be one of the more fortunate ones. I had surgery on both feet 5 days ago after having had cortisone shots twice in both feet. It did absolutely nothing for me but mine may have been to far advanced. I was able to walk out of surgery with no discomfort because my feet were numb. When the numbness wore off, it was painful that nite and the next day. I took antiflamatories but they messed up my stomach so I discontinued all. I had no swelling because I kept my feet elevated even at nite. I even danced a bit 2 days later against advice but seem to have suffered no ill effects. I am more careful now because I don't want to delay a speedy recovery. I want to dance Argentine tango again as soon as possible!!! I'm having withdrawal!As my doctor said, everyone is different. I am thin, on my feet 14 to 18 hours a day, which includes dancing sometimes 4 to 5 nites a week. overall I'm healthy and heal quickly. Good luck !

Hello, I am 3 days post op of my neuroma surgery. So far so good right now. Have experienced very little discomfort and only took prescription pain med for the first day. I have slight swelling and have been able to put slight pressure on the foot. My neuroma was moderately large and my surgeon made the comment several times that I definitely made the right choice by having surgery. I had tried several cortisone injections, wide toe box shoes, and anything else you can think of without having any positive results. For those of you out there suffering, don't be scared to death to have surgery. Just make sure you have a good surgeon. I am very confident that I'll have positive results, in fact, I can already tell a difference. I'm looking forward to getting back to jogging very soon. Good luck to all!