This post is an extension of the

pinguecula removal scars thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

Hello all. My name is Mike. Just as everyone here I have been diagnosed with pingueculums/pingueculas in both of my eyes. I am for sure going to have surgery performed to remove them hopefully from Dr. Hovanesian or Dr. Kent. My question is concerning the cost and insurance. My insurance said they will not cover the pinguecula removal and would cover the cost only if it is a pterygium. They claim it is a "cosmetic" problem. Those of us with pingueculas know it is much more than that! Anyway, my insurance told me I could send in an appeal for my problem and they would review my appeal in front of a board of directors to see if they would make any considerations on covering the cost of the surgery. Has anyone sent in an appeal before? If so what are some tips to get the insurance co. to cover the cost of the surgery? Thanks.

I read this post about the surgery and I'm very happy to finally find out that there is a cure. Doctors are cruel many times and don't understand that not only is uncomfortable but is a self steem issue having your eyes with this. I'm 30 years old and been with a penguecula for about 4-5 years and I'm sick and tired of people asking me if I'm tired, if I didn't get enough sleep or even if I've been taking DRUGS.....It's a hassle!

Please post doctors who perform this surgery and how much does it cost.

Thanks

E

Yes I agree with everything you said. I work at a bank and perform over 200 transactions per day. Seeing this many people I most definitely get others asking me about the redness in my eyes. There are 3 main doctors that perform pinguecula removal surgery with the new auto graft procedure (which is what you want). Dr. Hovanesian in Laguna Hills California, Dr. Kent in Colorado, and Dr. Guliani in Florida. I live in Utah and my surgery with Dr. Hovanesian is in 1 week!!! The cost is about $6,600 total for both eyes. I am still appealing my insurance company to see if they can pay. Go to harvardeye.com and check out the PBS special on ping removal's. It is an amazing video.

Wow, $6600 hundred for both eyes is really good. I called Dr. Gulani and spoke to him directly about the procedure. He sounds like such a great and caring Doctor who is an expert on this issue, however, he quoted me a price of $4600 plus $1000-$2000 for anesthesia per eye per pinguecula. Now mind you I have 2 pings in each eye so that is 4. I just cannot afford it right now. I hope that I can afford it in the future because my eyes are so dry that I wake up twice in the middle of the night to instill eye drops. Sometimes my when I look in the mirror my pings are so big that it looks like the whole white part of my eyes are yellow. Not to mention I have these huge thick red veins running to them. I have become very depressed about this issue.

I just noticed that I have a Ping on my eye a couple days ago after my right eye had been feeling very dry lately. Im only 20 years old and I'm scared that I'll have this for the rest of my life and it will get worse. Ive always had a few vessels in my eyes, because Ive been wearing contacts since I was 13. I hate the Ping because my eye has even more redness in the inner corner and it feels very dry. Does anyone know of any eye drops that can reduce redness because the Ping itself doesn't look that bad.

I also have a small pingueculum, but it is not very noticeable, and my doctor says that removing it with surgery could result in my eye looking worse. When inflamed the ping fills with blood and becomes a bright red dot on the white of my eye. I also have visible blood vessels on the outer side of my eye not related to the pinguecula. My doctor has suggested cauterizing them to seal off the blood flow. Has anyone had this procedure either with or without a pingueculum and what was the result?? Thanks

Hi all,

I'm 36 and having a pinguecula in both eyes for more than a year now. I really hate them! I'm thinking of an operation, and maybe having it done in the USA (I'm from Europe), as they migth have better techniques?

The prices are very high though! Here in Holland, one clinic has it done for 1100 euro per eye. They use membrane and can use glue instead of stitches, although the doctor says sometimes glue can cause problems (with bigger growths).

But as in America much more is written about it (on fora like these), and specialists sometimes really are better, I still wonder if I should turn to the States. If I dare to have this operation... I still have my doubts and I'm kind of scared. Maybe it will only make things worse in the end?!

I also met this person who says that a pinguecula can become less when you (eat the right stuff and) take certain vitamins. But until so far, I've never found someone with a pinguecula that became less or went away. Has anyone heared stories about these spots/growths becoming less visible?

For now, I'm taking a multivitamin, lots of vitamin C, lutein/zeaxanthine, alfa-lipon acid and omega's. I guess it won't help, but I have to try something.

I really hate these growths! They make me self aware and depressed. Does anyone have tips (you can mail me at _[removed]_)? And what are the best places to turn to in the USA, Harvard Eye and dr. Gulani in Florida?

Regards,
Evelijne

Hi Evelinje,

Have you talked to the doctors in Holland that is removing pinguecula? What do they say?
I live in Sweden but it feels like I live in the deep jungle somwhere where there is no cure for this ugly thing. It sounds to me too that it is really expensive in the USA to do this surgery. I have talked to a doctor in Sweden and she is useing transplant from the eyelid and glue don´t know if it is the best technique. There is not many doctors doing this surgery so it was very nice to see that there might be someone just 3 hours by plane that might do this too.

I would really love to here what you know abot this. what I know the pinguecula NEVER goes away nomatter what you do (sorry) but it can get a little bit smaler.

When I found out I had this s thing, the doctor told me. It´s nothing dangerous. It´s not cancer (I know it is not cancer, it is ugly). I told him to take a knife and just cut, I do not want that thing.
I have also red veins in my eyes that I love to do something about too. Anyone in Europe that knows a good Doctor?

Hi Sandra,

I spoke to three (eye)doctors here in Holland. Two young doctors told me I didn't want an operation, that it would become ugly, and that my growths aren't very visisble right now. But I really dislike them!! The third doctor is running a commercial eye hospital here in Holland. They can perform the operation. They won't give you anything on paper about the results though (nobody does). They use membrane (so not a transplant from your own eye) and stitches or glue, depending on how big the pinguecula is. I guess it's a good method, especially with the glue (but that's not always possible, the doctor said).

There are more (normal, not commercial) hospitals here in Holland that will do an operation like, but: only when your sight gets in danger, like with a pterygium. So that's why I went to this commercial hospital; they listen to your problem and take it seriously. I'm still not too sure though about the operation and the results (and to which doctor I can best go, preferaby in Europe).

What about the results? I guess that when your pinguecula is big, an operation might be a (real) improvement. But when you have smaller spots, an operation won't make the look of your eyes much better? I guess you will always see something after the operation, like a tiny scar or the place where the transplant was. But that's what I'm curious about also... Well, it can also differ from person to person (the healing), I heared.

How big are your pingueculae? And how did you get them, you think? Sunlight isn't a very probable cause in my case. It is a bad problem!! You wrote: the pingueculae won't go away, but they can become smaller. Really?? When they would become smaller, that would be cool already.

Regards,
Evelijn

Hi Sandra,

There are more (normal, not commercial) hospitals here in Holland that will do an operation like that, but: only when your sight gets in danger, like with a pterygium. So that's why I went to this commercial hospital; they listen to your problem and take it seriously. I'm still not too sure though about the operation and the results (and to which doctor I can best go, preferaby in Europe).

**edited by moderator**

Regards,
Evelijn

Hi Sandra (and others),

The commercial hospital (NIIOS) in Holland I wrote about is this one: niios.nl
They will do the operation, but they won't guarantee anything about the results. Most of the time, the operation won't be visible for an outsider, the doctor said (so you do will see it yourself). Every person is different though (the one might be luckier than the other). I also mailed with a doctor in Belgium, who states there will be no scars visible. It's not a big surgery. But still: it is your eye. And what if it comes back (worse)? One girl mailed me by whom the red veins had returned after almost a year (she had the operation in the USA), before that her eye looked very good. Another girl just had a pterygium operation here in Holland (in a 'normal' hospital, not the commercial one, where they use a transplant from your own eye and glue) and is doing ok, the scar is hardly visible (but it/the transplant is visible for herself).

Well, I don't know. In this spring weather (especially) I get pretty upset looking at myself, with these weird eyes with those yellowish (and blinking) growths - the yellow and the blinking is the worst. It looks unkind and unhealthy! I can't believe it will be there for always and always... (and probably only will get worse)!
If you want to mail me feel free at: Evelijne[at]live.nl
My thought is also: I don't know where I got the pingueculae from, so as long as I don't know the cause (and do something about that): won't the pingueculae return?? I'm also affraid of that. Sunlight hasn't been the cause in my case. My eyes do hurt (an are a bit irritated) frequently... I haven't got a clue what it is. I only know my body isn't in the best shape (I get sick quite fast and stuff like that, and the ferritine in my blood is really low, but the doctors state I'm okay as my ion/hemoglobine is okay).

Regards,
Evelijne

Hi Evelijne,

Yes, the pinguecula could get a little smaller but an eyedoctor has to prescribe the ointment for you. If your pings are irriteted and inflamed. Mine got a little smaller. I think My pingueculum are big ones but other says they are small so I am not sure the dr will remove them but i am going crazy about this ugly things and I have now got some ugly veins. I did not have before.

I do not think I got the pings from the sun, I did have a laser surgery and after that my ugly things came. I was very dry after surgery.

I have been reading a lot about this and found out a doctor in Australia doing only Ptrygium/pinguecula surgery and he puts the stiches under the eyelid. Thats the way I want to do it I think. But I can not go to Australia it is to far...

I will send you an email it is nice to have someone to talk to about this.

Take care,

Hi Sandra!
There's a doctor in Australia doing only pterygium/pinguecula surgery and putting the stiches under the eyelid? How does he do that? The growths are in the middle of my eye...
Where in Australia is this doctor located? Do you have a website? I've been there once for some months (long ago), so it would be cool to go back and immediately have my eyes done (a nice kind of holiday...). Haha, ofcourse I'm not going to do that (fast), but if it would turn out to be the very, very best option I would consider it.
But isn't it better when someone uses glue and no stitches? Until so far I get the impression that glue is better, it makes the result better, I think...

The eyedoctor gave me ointment last year, when both eyes had started developing a pinguecula. Before that I was with my doctor, with one small pinguecula, but he gave me nothing and said the bulb would disappear. But a few months later, my other eye also started developing a pinguecula... My eyes were very dry, the eyedoctor I then saw said. I had to clean the eyelids and use some ointment. I once asked my doctor for ointment without preservatives (as my eyes weren't responding well to the ointment), but he said that was a bit bull sh*t. That it didn't make much of a difference. I thought that was a bit weird.

Well, I think he thinks I'm making too much of a deal about it. The growths aren't big (and I'm not dying). Still: who would not hate it when something like this happened to their eyes?!! Besides that it's the fear of it only getting worse. Another thin red vein is developing, and I think a third small pinguecula migth be developing (oh no).

Others think my growths are (very) small and I think you mainly see them yourself. Well, others migth or will see something, but won't be so disturbed about it. They tend to look at the colour of your eye, not at the white... but for me it's hard to see the colour, as I only see these spots when I see myself! Right now I'm also starting to examin the eyes of other people, and I must say: at my work there are some people with these growths too. Some old persons, but also a few younger persons. So we (really) are not alone. I haven't talked about the pingueculae with those persons, by the way, as I want to pretend that they don't exits at work... (but in the toilet at work, the look of myself is the worst in the world, it's something with the light, the growths are really, reallly visible then!!).

Regards,
Evelijne

Hi Evelijne,

I really hope others will look at the coulor of my eye, but I am only looking at the ugly things on the white part. Day light is not a good light. Night is the best time and no lights on. I have a few red veins aswell and thats also not so very cute, when you always have had white eyes. (oh, how i miss my white clear eyes)
Where do you work? I do not know anyone with pinguecula. I have heard that it could be genetic. Do your parenst have this aswell? My mum and dad is so lucky, they do not have it.

The Doctor in Australia might be useing glue aswell. I think he always takes a bigger graft even if you have a small pinguecula. What I have read some people gets veins in the eyes when they have a smaller graft. He calls it the P.E.R.F.E.K. T method, that sounds almost to god to be true, But I think his way is the right way. His name is Dr Lawrence Hirst and he is somwhere in queensland, Australia. I think he works at a place called vision centre aswell. I do not remember where it is that you can see pictures before and after surgery but maybe it will come up if you google his name and write P.E.R.F.E.K.T.

Do you have very dry eyes? I don´t only where the ping is at. Do you feel your pinguecula i do and it is really annoying.

I have too ask you somtehing but i will send you an email about that.

Take care,