This post is an extension of the

Pinguecula Removal Surgery thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

Hi everyone!
I have been trying to fond out how much it will cost to have my pings removed with graph surgery but I couldn't find a price anywhere.
Anybody can give me an approximate price?Just an estimate of how much ti will cost me to get them removed?
Thanks a lot!
A.

Aliluna wrote:

Hi everyone!
Thanks a lot!
A.

Hi Aliluna,
There are several posts on the previous blog about cost of surgery and they are all in the $3000 range-maybe more, maybe less. It depends on your doctor and size of your pings. Some places offer payment plans as well or maybe you can put it on a credit card or take out a loan. I know some people were able to get their insurance to cover it so check with them. If your pings cause you serious irritation maybe your doctor can recommend that it is a medically necessary procedure. My surgery was about $3100 and a $400 plane ticket to fly there. They make you stay nearby so you can have a one week check-up after surgery. I am fortunate that my grandparents live about an hour away from the place. Make sure you do your research on the procedure and doctor you choose and that you have the graft procedure done. There is only a 1-2% recurrence rate with the graft procedure compared with a 50-60% recurrence rate with the old technique of literally scraping the ping off your eye and they both cost about the same amount of money. If you are in California or plan on having your surgery at Harvard Eye Clinic, which I did and is highly recommended by a lot of people, doctors are only allowed to charge you full price for one eye and half price for the second eye if you have them both operated on the same day-some Cali. law. Anyway, it has been over a month since my surgery at Harvard Eye Clinic and my eyes feel and look wonderful. They are not completely healed yet but they look better all the time. They are almost completely white again with no pings. The area where the graft was placed is a very pale, pale yellow and has some very light blood vessels present but they are not noticeable to other people. About three more weeks until the clinic said they will be completely healed and they seem right on with that estimate. I am so pleased with the results and highly recommend having the graft procedure done for anyone whose pings irritate them, not just for aesthetic reasons, at Harvard Eye Clinic. I will keep anyone posted who is interested about my recovery. It has been such a worthwhile experience having the surgery and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck, Meaghan

~ $2K/eye at Harvard Medical but they do have financing available. My surgery is scheduled for 3/19; both eyes.

Meaghan, Chris, Kayti. How are you ALL doing now? Will you provide a new update? Thanks so much. ps Only 2 weeks to go until my surgery date... yeah!

Thanks so much for your info, it's very helpful. I'll be sure to check with the insurance and the doctors.
Glad your eyes are looking better and better!
Aliluna

mblack314 wrote:

Aliluna wrote:

Hi everyone!
Thanks a lot!
A.

Hi Aliluna,

kymberly wrote:

Hey Kymberly,
Sorry I haven't replied for some time-I've been ill and had midterms. Anyway, my recovery is pretty much over except for a couple light red veins where the grafts were, but sometimes they are more noticeable than other times. I'm sure on one notices but me. People who know I've had the surgery say my eyes look great and I know they aren't just being nice because I feel the same way. I think my recovery has taken longer than it should have because I have been sick two different times now during the past month or so, which is taking a toll on my immune system. My eyes feel wonderful too. I still use my Thera Tears occasionally but not nearly as much as I had to before, even when on the computer or watching a movie. I'm so excited for you to have this surgery and can't wait to hear how your eyes feel so great! Do not get discouraged by how they look for about three weeks to a month after the surgery because after that they will look and feel wonderful. I was insecure about how my eyes looked during that time after the surgery but most people thought I had pink eye or a burst blood vessel, but I just told them that I had surgery for dry eyes, if I did not know them that well. Well, hope everything goes perfectly for your surgery and I'm sure you won't regret it. Good luck! Keep us posted. Sorry if this is slightly incoherent as I am still sick. Meaghan

Hi, I am a 21 yr old male and noticed a ping in one eye about 9 months ago. Now I can see 3 pingueculas, maybe 4. One on each side of my eye in both eyes. I worked outside everyday for a year and a half and played golf 5 days a week for about 2 years. I did not wear sunglasses when i played golf because it bothered me. So I think this is how i acquired my pingueculas. My eyes always have some kind of veins going through them and they always seem to be itchy and irritated. My lifestlye has changed dramatically sinced i noticed them. It's hard to go out with friends and go to social events cause I dont want people looking at my eyes. I wore contacts for 6 years and now I cant wear them without my eyes going bloodshot or getting irritated.

Every doctor i talk to tells me they arent serious and to just live life. It seems like they dont know a lot about it either. I tried a lot of drops and techniques but nothing really works. I am now putting a drop in my eye called Lotemax, this has worked the best. It doesnt work magic but it help prevent the ping from getting inflammated and reduces the redness and itchiness.

I am considering surgery at The Harvard Eye Center and would like to hear from people who have gone through it or have any other suggestions. I know i've only had my pings for a short time compared to some people but having a ping is not fun at all. It really is a handicap both physically and asthetically.
God Bless,
dale_loewen@yahoo.com

I am a 28 year old female and I have a ping in both of my eyes. My left eye is worse than my right. I am considering having them removed at Harvard Eye as well. I have also tried every eye drop on the market and can't seem to find one that works. My left eye is irritated more than it's not and my eyes are extremely dry. My doctor (Kaiser), like many I've read on here, tells me to just "watch" it and to use eye drops.

I have an appointment at Harvard Eye this Friday with Dr. Kim. If you read other posts earlier in this blog it seems to be the best place to go for the autograft procedure. I also would like to hear more about other people's experiences with it, but this blog really convinced me to explore my options with Harvard Eye. I know my insurance will not cover it, but if paying that much means my eyes will feel better and there is a very low chance of the pings coming back, I think it's worth a shot!

This blog has really helped me feel better knowing I'm not alone. I'm so tired of people making comments about my eye being red or asking me what's wrong with my eye. If only the insurance companies could spend a day in our shoes I think they'd realize that this really is a "health" issue and should be covered.

Hi Jenny and Dale and anyone else considering surgery,
I had surgery at Harvard Eye this January and highly recommend the surgery to everyone with pings. I had one on each eye nasal side for about ten years or more. Like you I went to many doctors and received little feedback about what to do besides eye drops which are only very temporary. The doctors were very inconsiderate of my discomfort and made me feel as though I were crazy. And the pings only get worse, never better. I even had LASIK in 2001 because I thought that would help with the dryness and irritation- it didn't. I love being able to see but it did not help with the pings. I suggest to the both of you to search this blog site for all of the pinguecula related posts and read them all. I have made many submissions on why to go through with the surgery and my progress to date and do not have time to keep repeating it. It has now been almost three months since my surgery and my eyes look and feel wonderful. I still experience some dryness but nothing like it was before the surgery. Also, go to Harvard Eye's website and learn about them and the procedure. Depending on your geographic location, there is also a very good doctor in Florida but I don't remember his name-just google conjuntival autograft Florida. I am very pleased with the results of my eyes and they are almost healed completely I would venture to say. So, to help with comfort and appearance until the time you have the surgery, a few suggestions- STOP using any redness relief drops, allergy relief drops etc. because this will only make the pings more irritated and your eyes feel drier. The first few days after you stop the drops your eyes will feel and probably look worse but trust me, it pays off after that time. Only use preservative-free natural tears- I prefer Thera Tears for nighttime, which I use all the time and I recap them and use them for several days because the cost adds up. DO NOT use steroid drops either because they are only temporary as well and actually degrade muscle tissue and can promote glaucoma. Also, always wear sunglasses- UV 400 if possible. If you have health insurance, I highly recommend, for those with dry eyes, to have your tear ducts permanently cauterized to help relieve dryness. This was the best thing I did for my eyes prior to my surgery at Harvard Eye. I DO NOT recommend tear duct plugs for people with nasal-side pings because every time you move your eye the pings rub against them and become inflamed and irritated. This also improves the appearance and helps them feel so much better. Also, take supplements prior to and after surgery to help with faster healing- Vitamins A, B, C, Coenzyme Q10, Evening primrose, Flax oil capsules, Lutein, Amino acids-arginine and guanine. Feel free to ask me anything you want and I hope this info. helps. Cheers, Meaghan

Hey Kymberly,
How did your surgery go and how are you doing? I hope everything went smoothly and your eyes are healing wonderfully. I'm sure they will get better every day. Well, look forward to hearing from you, Meaghan

Hey,
I have been thinking of cauterizing my tear ducts to treat my dry eyes. Tried punctal plugs but had to remove the one on my left eye because of irritation to my pings. Now my left eye is giving me a bit of a problem because it's getting drier. My doctor recommended FML drops on my "bad eye days" but I'm not sure about that.
I know some of you have had it done, I think Meaghan had, so before I get my pings removed I would like to try something elselike cauterization.
Anything that you can tell me about your experience would be very welcome.
Thanks!
Ali

Wow. I just read through this whooole blog, from the first thread to this one. This has really given me hope. I recently visited the famous Dr. H at Harvard Eye and my eye was RED. Like really red, but my pinguecula is small. Dr. H said he was not comfortable recommending surgery because though I had extreme redness, the Ping was small. So he gave me some Xibrom to relieve the inflammation (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory eye drop or NSAID). It is not dangerous to eye health I guess, like the steroids. So far it has really relieved the extreme inflammation, but my eye is still unsightly. Though it is manageable now, it is still very noticeable and sometimes gets redder than other times. I am wondering if he will end up recommending surgery even though my ping is so small. I am 23 yr old female and can't imagine living with these prominent veins forever. I am thinking of getting Transition lenses since I have really bad eye sight and can't live without my glasses (formerly wore contacts for 12 years, but stopped because of ping and inflammation, I miss my contacts so bad).

I was very worried about the long healing process because I will be starting a new job soon in a new city and really need to be social and make friends, but will have hideous eyes and be anti-social during recovery most likely. However, this site has given me hope because I just remind myself that after a month, I will not have to deal with these darn red eyes again! That is such a dream. It is weird how others who have white eyes can not even imagine how much red eyes take a toll on one's well-beng and self esteem. I've been going in and out of depression and have been avoiding friends due to my eyes. I am getting better now that my eyes are not as bad, but still self-conscious.

I am also wondering if getting Pings removed WILL remove the redness. I know everyone has said they did for them, but someone mentioned that the redness might remain? That would be devastating because that is why I would get the surgery at all

Jenny wrote:

This post is an extension of the

Pinguecula Removal Surgery thread.

Hi everyone

I had pinguecula on both side of my eyes for about 10 years now but it started bothered me the most in the past 5years. So I know exactly what all of you are going through. I have three small children and it's difficult for me to make a trip to Southern California. I I will try to ask my eye doctor if he know's any specialist that does autograft technique in the BayArea California? I desperately wanted my ping removed. But I am gland that there is hope.

Aliluna wrote:

Hi everyone!
Thanks a lot!
A.