Yesterday I had pinguecula removal surgery in both eyes at Harvard Eye Clinic. Dr. Hovanesian was the surgeon and Dr. Gannon gave me sedatives via IV. I don't remember much from the surgery itself except toward the end, or at least I think it was the end. I remember feeling my eyelashes once and heard a few words. The next thing I remember is being asked a question directly and answering with "are you talking to me?". So I felt no pain during surgery thanks to Dr. Gannon and of course Dr. Hovanesian.

My husband drove me home and I slept the entire way - no hunger at all even though I had not eaten since midnight prior (about 20 hours no food but also no hunger). I was prescribed 4 pills for pain (yes! that is all) and have taken them all. So, when you have both eyes done at the same time only 1 eye gets patched and only 1 eye gets fully numbed (called a partial or full block). Basically the left side of my head was completely numb - you could literally stick a pin in my head and I would not have felt it. Same goes for my face and nose. The right side had a partial block and I could feel it by the time I got home. I did not feel the fully blocked side of my face for over 20 hours after surgery. Now I do feel it. It is 7:15pm the day after the surgery and I now have all of my feeling back.

My left eye was worse (ping was bigger) and it is also more uncomfortable right now. It feels like something is in there that I can't get out (eyelash stuck in there but not as painful). The right eye feels almost normal. However, the right eye has a fully bloody outside corner which is weird because the pings were near my nose. I guess that is from the tools used during surgery.

My eyes were both sealed shut when I woke up today. This was expected. A warm washcloth helped remove the gunk but I was nervous to touch my eyes. I did not feel anything on my left eye AT ALL until afternoon, as mentioned before, but still, I didn't want to mess with the grafts.

Both eyes are bruised and swollen. My family says it looks like I got into a car accident and then a brawl.

As for the pings, they are gone, but the eyes are very red right now and it is nearly impossible to see a benefit yet. But I cannot deny that those little yellow beasts are indeed now gone. It is unbelievable.

I have a headache, the kind that starts behind your eyes and feels like bruises. When I move my eyes from side-to-side it feels like my eyeballs are bruised.

All in all, I look pretty beat up right now but have very little pain now and had zero pain during the surgery. Already I feel it was worth it!

ps It makes me dizzy to type this... more later.

How are your eyes doing now?..I am too going to schedule surgery w/Dr H.....

Hi. I am having surgery soon w/Dr Hovanessian. How are your eyes doing now?...

I am also going to have a surgery like that but in Europe. How big or small were your pings before surgery? Your right eye had a bloody outside corner? but not your left eye? I am really scared that the side of my eye where i do not have a ping will look ugly after surgery.

I am doing this surgery mostly because it is very annoying haveing this in my eyes. The feeling all the time that there is something in my eyes. I hate it! the way it looks too, so ugly!

Regarding Recovery Day 1: I would love to hear how your eyes are doing thus far.....I have surgery scheduled for September w/the same Dr u went to. Any info of what to expect helps out so much. I appreciate u posting your experience. It gives me courage..Thank u for that. PS cant wait til u post again.....Thanks!!!!!:-)

Hi I'm interested in how low did you feel that something is wrong with your eyes before you were diagnosed with pinguecula. I don't have this problems, but I do have bad vision. And I'm interesting in some pre-surgery stories. What kind of problems you had?

WOULD LOVE TO HEAR AN UPDATE OF YOUR RECOVERY....hOPE ALL IS WELL. i AM SURPRISED U HAVENT POSTED AGAIN...HOPE U DO SOON...

If you have pinguecula you do not have any problems with your VISION like you have, but you could have a big problem too see things because always blinking, driving is a lillte bit risky and things like that. If you have pterygium you could have vision problem because it will grow over the cornea. Are you going to have a surgery?

Hi Sandra,
No I don't have pinguecula, and I'm not having surgery. But I would like to gather as much information as I can about eye problems and conditions. I have glasses and I have to where them constantly. I would like to get rid of them.
So the main problem then is blinking. I understand why driving is difficult. When are you going to have your surgery?

I have Pterygium in both eyes..since 2006 & am having surgery in a few months. It's the same type of surgery for pinguecula. I am trying to find the courage...but am scared:(

Hi Sandra...i am having surgery in september...I have Pterygium...u are right ..its painful & annoying & sooo ugly..i cant stand feeling like something is in my eyes all the time. When are u having surgery?

RECOVERY OF PING. SURGERY:...ITS BEEN OBVER A MONTH & U HAVENT POSTED AGIAN.:-( HAVE BEEN WONDERING IF YOUR EYES ARE OK. WOULD LOVE TO HEAR AN UPDATE!!!!

Guest: U still around?...would love to hear an update :-)

Sandra....i am scheduled for surgery in 3wks. Have u had surgery yet?

Been waiting for an update...for months now. Where did ya go?...u disappeared:(