Anyone had complications with Pterygium/Pinguecula Surgery?...I am scheduled for surgery in a few weeks. Having 2nd thoughts...But i dont wanna live this way either. Anyone that can help please do...so i dont chicken out. Thanks!

I think you should think positive and also know that it can take 3 mounths before you feel/look normal but I have heard that the first week could be hard. I have not had a surgery but i have seen pictures, and the person had a small ping and it looks so much better when the bump is gone!

I have had a pinguecula in my left eye for over a year now....nothing helps, I've seen 2 different opthamologists so far- 1 recommended doing nothing and just treating with eye drops (which I have been doing for over a year) and the other says I could do surgery. I reached out to Dr. Hovanesian with Harvard eye and I am a candidate for the surgery....very nervous though. I'm pregnant with my 2nd child so they won't do surgery on me until after the baby is delivered....with that being said I plan on doing the surgery next spring and look forward to it.

I understand your apprehension but as been's posted, I think that you need to try to be positive and I think that the surgery should be helpful, especially since it sounds like you're going to a pretty reputable place. Can you keep us posted on what you decide to do and how it goes?

I am scheduled for surgery w/Dr Hovanessian in 2 wks! Been dealing w/this Pterygium for 3 years...now in both eyes:( . Has diminished the quality of my life soooo much. Severely painful at times. Like i have glass in my eyes, or burning, stinging, red eyes.It's awful & then some. I am nevous, anxious, scared & looking forward to it all at the same time. I just hope all goes well w/surg/recovery. Anyone have an update on their recovery?...Would be nice to hear some positivity....:)Just want my eyes to look & feel wonderful like they used to. I just want my life back...

I'm glad to hear that you're going to surgery and I wish you a lot of luck! YOu will be okay and everything will go well. I am sure of it. Let us know how it goes, okay?

Thank u for your support....I will keep u all posted.....

how did your surgery go? I hope it went well please keep us posted

I had surgery for a Pterygium on Tuesday. Today is Thursday. I completely hated the procedure although that was mainly due to lack of information from my NHS doctor and the surgeons refusial to lightly sedate me with Valium or similar. It is horrible being away for the whole thing although the local anaesthetic and the bright lights used made everything very blurry anyway. Painwise, the surgery is pain free. The recovery isnt too bad. I demanded the good drugs and got a prescription for co-codymol rather than just having paracetemol, which helped. Its not even 48 hours on and I am only sporadically having a painkiller, and I can see fine, although my eye is red, bloodshot and tender. I keep thinking I can feel the stitches, although theyre disolvable so at least I wont need them removed. The procedure isn't that bad, the recovery is fine (take a week off of work), and there is only a 10% chance of it going back, totally worth it. Good luck.

Ooops I meant horrible being awake.

I had the surgery 16 months ago. I'm 25 yrs old. I was stressing cos I was scared but it was nothing. whatever they gave me made me very calm, I was awake the whole time and it was over before I knew it. I went home straight away, only took paracetamol. I had a few headaches but didnt need any stronger pain killer. Had it done on a wednesday, took the rest of the week off and was back at work monday. The stitches didnt bother me at all. It was quite pleasant.

I know this post is over a year ago now. How is your eye now? I am considering surgery on my Pterygium, as I hate it.

Best thing i ever did, i had them in both eyes jad one removed 2 years ago an having the other one removed in 2 weeks. There is no words to describe how they make you feel an the way they feel is horrible.