I have PCOS and I have abnormal hair growth all over my body. I have dealt with this since puberty. I've been on several types of birth control all which made the growth worse. Recently I had a baby and my OB/GYN put me on Yaz. I have been on it for almost 2 months. The other day as I got out of the shower I noticed on my stomach area that the hair was falling out and on other areas of my body. Could the Yaz be doing this and should I be concerned? Not that I'm complaining but if there is going to be a problem I'd like to know.

well, i went on yaz to try to counteract the other dozen pills i was on that were making me tired... and i loved it and raved about it and paid $42 a month for it. that's love. THEN i noticed i was losing a ton of hair and my hairline was slightly receeding. NEVER had I had thin hair or lost a lot. I switched off of yaz, despite that my doctors thought i was crazy, and it's MUCH better. they say yaz is good for hair loss problems but sorry, I've read a lot (after the fact!) where many people complain of the same exact thing. maybe it's good if you want to loose it, but I definately think YAZ is the cause...

I loved Yaz at first.
I dropped 8 lbs of water weight, my skin cleared up, I felt great!
Then my hair started falling out. It was/ is devastating.
I talked to my GYN who also takes Yaz.
She raved that it made her hair even healthier. She refused to believe me.

I pulled myself off three months ago. I have seen some improvement, but it still sheds more than normal.
I hate knowing other people experience this.
Although it is nice to know that it was not all in my head.
Good Luck.

I am so happy to know that other women are experiencing the same thing as I am and i'm not crazy! My OBGYN also didn't believe me that YAZ was causing hair loss, but i've always had super super thick hair, and now you can see my scalp in places since taking YAZ. We should all band together and sue YAZ for failing to disclose the high frequency of so horrible a side effect!!!

Hello All!
I have been on YAZ for a cycle and a half and I have noticed im starting to lose hair where my bangs are. My hair is not falling out more than ususal but I have noticed it getting thinner at the top. I have also been feeling very depressed, moody and snappy. This all started the 1st week on the pill. After reading numerous postings on the net stating that YAZ is the cause for my hair loss and depression I decided to stop cold turkey today. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM YAZ! it ruined my last 2 months and i will have it NO MORE! good luck all

I've been on Yaz for 4 years and my hairline is also receiding, i recently just started reading up on it and i am convinced that it is Yaz to blame. is there a good alternative pill that wouldn't do that???

I'm only 22 years old. I've been taking Yaz for about 3 years... and I'm losing my hair. It's very noticeable now... did anyone regain hair after going off Yaz I dont want to look like this for the rest of my life. I've been extremely depressed and lost.

I was on YAZ for 4 years & in that time I lost a lot of hair. I didn't link it to taking YAZ though. I went off off it
in October & my hair is finally starting to come back. The reason I went off the YAZ though is far worse than hair loss ~
it caused my eyes severe dryness & since I wear contacts I repeatedly got corneal ulcers. At first the ulcers appeared once a year,
then twice a year & then it started happening once a month. My eye doctor wanted to do a PRK surgery & luckily I put it off.
I called my OB & asked him when he put me on the YAZ ~ turned out it was 1 month before my first corneal ulcer. I immediately went
off YAZ & all BC completely and haven't had a recurrence since. It may contain a diuretic or something, I'm not sure.
Further, after the dry eyes cleared up, I was sent to a retina specialist who said I showed signs of
an 'impending' blood clot in my eye. He asked me if I was taking BC & I told him I had just gone off because of the dry eyes. He told
me that I should never use BC again as it is linked to vascular problems in women.

PS ~ I also started taking vitamins that are supposed to be good for hair growth: Regenemax & MSM & another one, can't remember
the name right now ...

Good luck!!

I took YAZ for 1.5 months in August-September of 2009. By the end of November I started losing TONS of hair! I had my hormones, thyroid and CBC checked. It turns out I was severely anemic with a ferritin level of 5. Low ferritin has also shown to cause hair loss. But I think for me it was a combination of both. It's now 6 months after taking my last YAZ pill and 4 months after this hair loss began and I'm still losing tons of hair. Even though the shedding hasn't stopped, I started to see re-growth by the end of January. But it seems like I'm losing soooooo much more than what's growing in. I'm scared to go bald. Has anyone fully recovered from this awful YAZ shed? How long does it take to go back to normal? I'm terrified!

Hello!

I can't believe this pill can do so much harm! I was on Ortho Tricyclen Lo for 10 years straight. I had absolutely NO side effects during and after going off that pill. I took YAZ for less than 2 months and now I'm having all these problems.

When did you stop taking YAZ and when did you notice your hair going back to normal? Has the dryness with your eyes dissappeared?

I hope you're doing well.

Thanks!

Pilar

I am having the opposite effects from Yaz. I went off the pill in November because I just wasn't feeling "myself". Ever since then, I have had problems with flashes of lights in the corners of my eye, which are now finally just starting to go away. My hair has been gradually falling out since being OFF this pill, and I never have had any problems with hair loss before. I used to have beautiful thick hair, and now I'm scared I might go bald. Has anyone else had this problem, losing hair AFTER going off Yaz? I'm going to my doctor this week for blood work and to see if there is a possible vitamin deficiency. They will probably think I'm crazy after I tell them I think it has to do with going off Yaz.

Yes, I'm experiencing the same thing (my posts are right before yours). I went off the pill in September and the shedding started in November. My shedding has slowly been decreasing (I think and hoping) and I've has re-growth since January. Right now I have lost about 40% of my hair but since I had a lot of thick hair, it's not noticable to most. I have A LOT of little hairs growing in all over my head, and I'm hoping they continue to grow to be thick and strong and that this shedding stops. My OB/GYN totally denied that BCP, or YAZ would cause any hair loss or shedding. She said my shedding was probably seasonal. But losing 250+ hairs just in the shower is not normal seasonal shedding! I later saw an Endocrinologist which she did say that going off the pill can cause temporary hair loss called Telogen Effluvium (this type of hair loss can also be caused my a vitamin or mineral deficiency). She said it's like the kind of hair loss that some women experience after giving birth. It usually occurs 1-3 months after giving birth and it can last up to 6 months. I guess it's caused by the drop in hormones. I've been off the pill now for 6 months and I'm hoping that my hormones will balance themselves out. Not only am I experiencing hair loss, but also breakouts....and I was only on YAZ for 1.5 months! Before that my hair was beautiful and thick and my skin was a little oily with 1-3 pimples per month.

Hey so I had been on yaz for about 3 months and I experienced HORRIBLE shedding, my doctor said the same that all of you guys have been saying apparently. It was supposed to make my hair thicker, and breasts bigger. I didnt have an increase in breast size, the only thing that happened was a bunch of tiny painful cists grew which appeared shortly after taking YAZ! Plus, ive experienced awful hair loss.

LADIES, HERE IS THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION YOUVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR:
YES. Your hair will grow back. Its been a year, a WHOLE year and I finally am starting to see my hair go back to normal. So I think if you stay awy from bc (which can mess up your thyroid, indirectly messing with you hair) eat healthy, exercise (blood flow to the scalp is vital) and apply weekly castor oil scalp treatments (THEY HELP ALOT!!) your hair will eventually start growing again and your system will even out. Its hard, really hard to loose hair I know. I had great thick long hair which I had to cut because the hair shedding started to make my once long gorgeous locks just look weird.

Please everyone try your best, overall, TIME is the key. be patient and stay away from YAZ

I wish I could say the same for me.  It's been almost 4 years that I am off Yaz.   My hair continues to thin, and every 6 months, I go into a Telogen Effluvium phase.  Before Yaz, I had no idea what that meant.  Unfortunately, I am now very familliar with it.  It basically means that your hair falls out by the handful for a period of time.  I've become depressed and given up hope.  I have no choice now but to look into extensions or a wig.  This is not only killing me emotionally, but financially as well.  Thanks, Bayer, for stealing so many women's confidence, happiness, femininity, sanity.  Thank you for this traumatic distraction to our lives, our families, our kids, work, everything. 

I went on Yaz about 2 years ago, and although it seemd like the best contraceptive pill i had been on, no weight gain, small increase in breast size and clear skin...it was not. I went off it as I did not need it for contraceptive reasons however as i suffer from Hidradenitis suppurativa (cyst type ingorwn hair like boils in gorin area due to hormones) i was told by my doctor that yes Yaz was helping, as my condition was worse when i got off it. So i went back on yaz and have been now for 2 month & at work today noticed a large chunk of hair that was noticably missing. My hair has been fallin out for the last 2 months now, from what i can remember, in handfulls in the shower and when i brush. I am absolutely shatterred and have researched hair loss and Yaz! Yes a side effect is hair loss while taking it, but also after you go off it, not to mention the other life thereatening side effects from Yaz. Now i need to find out from my dermatologist how severe this is and whether the Yaz side effect of hair loss has actually triggered alopecia or telogen effluvium (both cause hair loss)