This post is an extension of the

Your experience with YAZ birth control pills thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I am 32, 5’4’, and I weigh @ 133 lbs. I noticed that for the last four years, around the second and third week of my cycle, my patience was short, I was extremely irritated by everything, and I had anxiety issues. I would get so swollen; I literally looked 4 months pregnant, for two weeks. And I’m not fat. I was only truly normal the week of my cycle and a couple of days after. I did not want to take birth control pills due to all of the horror stories. I tried herbal remedies to fix my situation and they worked!!! I become comfortable with Vitex, the chaste berry plant to regulate my pituitary gland. I learned that my body was not producing the progesterone necessary for my body in the weeks before the cycle and that was a main reason why I felt the way I did. I took this stuff for 6 months. Unfortunately, according to European science, this stuff makes you fertile and my husband thinks he can keep tract of my cycle for his own unprotected pleasure. If I think I’m crazy now, let me have another baby!!!

I asked the doctor about Yaz birth control, and he seemed hesitant. He gave me samples and told me if I had problems, call and he’ll change them. I noticed that and waited six months before starting this pill. I felt comfortable starting the pill because I knew I had a problem with PMS or PMDD. I could isolate my craziness to my cycle, only. I researched this new “drospirenone” hormone and yea, this pill has only been around since 2006 and yes. I read all of these scary reviews. But my PMS was so bad, I had to do something.

I am almost finished with the first pack and other than being extremely nonchalant about everything, I feel OK. My breast finally filled my B cup bras, can’t complain there. I do spot from time to time, but that is if I am late a couple of hours late taking the pill. My sex drive might have decreased some. My appetite is under control. My mind is capable of being productive, but I do lack a little energy. After reading the reviews again, I’m glad someone mentioned being ready for bed at 9PM. I am out cold before dinner is ready. But I did not swell at all this month. I may have had a few depressing moments, but nothing serious. At least I’m not ready to move out, leave my family and get my own apartment as I felt every month before. So far, I’m OK and hopeful that this pill works.

I will keep a close eye on this pill in reaction to my body and if anything weird happens, I will stop taking the pill. I have severe PMS and I think I have a good reason to take it. I hope some one can benefit from this insight. I tried to explain as much as a could. Good Luck.

I started Yaz when I moved to college this year. I am 18, 5'4'', and now 140 lbs. I started with Yaz because I've had some problems with ovarian cysts before and it was supposed to help. This is my first experience with BC so I wasn't sure was was going to happen. When I started in August, I took the pill every morning when I woke up. I had pretty severe stomach pains after taking it every day and I was pretty much freaking out. I just felt sick all the time. My doc just told me to switch to taking them at night and see if it helped. It took about a week of taking it at night to solve my problems with pain. I've gained about 8 pounds in the 4 months I've been taking it, even though I try to exercise regularly.
During the past couple weeks or so I've had headaches behind my eyes pretty often. Some cystic acne has come up on my chin. My breasts are tender on some days and sometimes feel bloated. I haven't missed a pill so there's no way I'm pregnant.

Even though all these side effects have happened, the pill has made my periods shorter and I don't cramp at all. So I'm just going to keep taking it until my yearly appointment with the gyno. If my symptoms get any worse I might give the patch or nuvaring a try.

I have to say that this website is a life saver and I thank God for it!!! I just finished my first pack of Yaz. Let's just say that I have not felt myself to say the LEAST and have not known why until NOW!!! This medicine was not kind to me...I have had SEVERE panic attacks, constantly nervous and on edge (24 hours per day- no lie!), cannot eat, drained with no energy, however cannot sleep for long periods of time (less than 6 hours). Overall, the effects are that I have lost 10 pounds (by starvation!), I'm a nervous wreck and can't go to family functions, and my work is suffering severely. This is not how I wanted to spend my Christmas lying in bed too scared to leave my house but it's what happened to me. I agree that everyone will have different symptoms according to your body but my philosophy is that the less chemicals you put in your body the better you will be. All those chemicals are just not natural for our bodies and I think most will have at least some bad side effects. I was taking Orthotricycline-Lo and had no bad side effects from it and will be going back on that immediately...Sunday cannot come fast enough!!!

Seriously, I never reply to sites like this but my body's reaction to this was so bad I had to share it with others who may be spared from going through the same thing. When in doubt...don't! Unless you really have severe cramping or bleeding etc, which I did not, please do not take this stuff, it's sooooooo not worth it. I originally took it to ward off PMS symptoms and mood swings. What I got was way more than I bargained for. I'm just thankful to have a wonderful husband who has helped me through this month so graciously and a mother-in-law who tipped me off that it might be my new birthcontrol doing it. Hope this post helps someone else and saves them the trauma. God bless!

I see that this is getting a lot of negative feedback and I just want to remind those that are thinking of trying Yaz that people are much more likely to post a negative reply than a positive one because people feel and react to negativity much more than positivity.

Birth controls affect everyone differently and you can't assume that what happened to someone else will happen to you. You just have to try it out and if you experience negative side effects simply stop taking the birth control. Its that simple. No effects of Yaz are fatal or cause permanent damage. Just try for yourself and see.

I am a healthy 29-year-old and started on Yaz in mid November. The week of Christmas I had a small stroke. The doctor at the hospital ruled that it was from the birth control since I am young, healthy, and have no family history of stroke. While it may not have been from the Yaz, that is the only thing that has changed in recent months. Also, I had been on a different birth control pill for 4 1/2 years before having my baby and never had a problem.

I work with woman's health, I am a life coach/psychotherapist that deals with a lot of problems women have hormonally. I am about to switch to Yaz from Estrostep fe, so we'll see how it goes. In any case, I have some helpful tips, as I have many clients who take yaz:

Here are a few tips for BC that might help some of the gnarly side effects:

1. Take Yaz at night, maybe 1/2 hour before you go to bed. This is especially helpful during the first few weeks, because most women get nauseous on any BCP. If you take it at night, you will sleep through the nausea.

2. Yaz has a mild diuretic in it, which is why many women experience small weight loss on the pill. That's a plus for most, but don't forget that also means you need to replenish your water supply more than usually. Women who experience dry/blurry eyes, leg cramps, etc, need to drink more. Really aim for at least 6 glasses of water a day (or tea). Caffeine is going to make the peeing thing more pronounced.

3. Most women have a rough time the first month on any birth control pill. Breakthrough bleeding, moodiness, heavy period, cramping, is all totally normal. Taking a BCP is the equivelant of dropping 3x the normal hormones into your body chemically. It's going to do some funky things. Give it a little time. That being said, every woman reacts differently , so if after 3 months you are going nuts, it is time to switch.

I went on Yaz nearly one year ago. I had seen commercials about it previous to that so when my gyn recommended I try it I was up for the challenge. I asked questions before leaving the office but what I was told was that it was a newer pill supposed to help with acne, pms, and shorten heavy periods... other than that I got handed a pamphlet created for Yaz which of course since it was printed by the company stated that Yaz was the greatest things next to sliced bread.

My first month on the pill I had nausea but that is to be expected. I have never taken any type of birth control and not had some nausea to begin with.

It was after a couple months on the pill that things started to change in my life. I did not associate those chages to the pill because of the fact that I had been okay before then.

1. My skin turned bumpy, my actually occasional pimple did not appear but my skin became oily and bumpy.
2. I was having muscle aches.
3. My nausea never went away after the first couple months.
4. I started to get rashes (I used to get rashes on my body from the patch, not actually where I placed it but from the side effect of the hormones)
5. I started to get headaches.
6. I had NO appetite. I am already very thin but I would have to remind myself to eat.
7. No sexual appetite either.
8. Vaginal discharge up the wazoo

and for the last and worst
9. I became a psycho raging b***h. I was miserable. I cried all the time. Suddenly felt like I was depressed which I hadn't been since freshman year in high school. Couldn't deal with frustration.. I would lash out. I was constantly upset with my boyfriend and we began to talk about splitting up. (Which I thought was a good idea even though he was trying to make me happy despite my psychotic mood swings.) At one point I even started thinking about killing myself because everything just sucked.

Then about two months ago. I took my pill in the morning and looked at the packet and thought... maybe this... isn't helping any slight PMS I used to have. (You would think I would have figured that out before.)
So I told my boyfriend I wanted to try to be off the pill and we were going to have to use condoms for a bit. (Not that we were having much sex when I was on the pill.) I swear to you not one week later I was feeling better, smiling more, eating normally, my skin was not as oily, my current rash started fading, and after about a month my boyfriend and I started talking about our future TOGETHER instead of apart.

So I couldn't resist. I had to take a few more of my pills to see if it was actually YAZ or if I had been going through some stress crisis. I started taking YAZ about a week ago again and my symptoms started coming back. I got a rash on my stomach. I started arguing with my boyfriend and telling him he didn't love me.... the list goes on.

Then yesterday my boyfriend sees a commercial come on TV saying that if you are taking YAZ you have to be careful because it can cause serious internal issues like stroke. And that it is being studied for causing hormonal imbalance. I never even told him I went back on it.. for all he knew I was just crazy...

I am never taking this pill again.
I wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE.
If your doctor recommends it to you I suggest that if you have any side effects evena couple months in you just stop.

It's not worth it.

I went on Yaz about 6 months ago. It has been good and bad. I have tried a million other BCs because of ovarian cysts, which were never cured by any of them. My new OB suggested Yaz because all the other pills i went on made me CRAZY and she said she had the same experience, except with Yaz. So I tried it and at first I loved it. It almost made me more mellow and even-keel. I only gained a few pounds (which may or may not have been my non-angelic eating, but feels more like water weight than real weight), and my acne went away. But about a month or two after going on Yaz, I suddenly had a bad panic attack. I had never had one before, so I thought I was having a heart attack- I went the ER and they ran every heart test known to man but all was fine. After that I had many more panic attacks and am just very very anxious in general. It sort of comes and goes- even if I am not having a panic attack there are times when I am just freakin paranoid like someone is always about to jump out from behind something and kill me. Just skittish. I have always been a worrisome person, but never had physical symptoms like I do now. Panic attacks make you feel like you are definitley about to die! But I digress. So I just sort of learned what they felt like when they were coming on, and try to mentally control it and tell myself I am not dying its just a stupid panic attack. It helps somewhat but the point is, this is all brand new to me. I didn't put two and two together until the other night when I suddenly realized it was a month or two after going on Yaz that the panic attacks started right out of the blue. My doc had just said you know, your body changes, who knows why you suddenly got an anxiety disorder. But after reading a bunch of posts about Yaz, i can't imagine what else could be causing the panic attacks. I love not having acne, but this is so not worth. I made an appointment with my OB and I think I"ll go off it.

Oh- one more thing. This seems crazy but I didn't make this connection until reading about other women who reported these symptoms from Yaz, so maybe you have the same symptoms and didn't realize it- my legs started ITCHING like crazy! Literally i have gone through like 7 different kinds of soaps and lotions trying to figure it out. I think it is the yaz!

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm 25 and started yaz back in Dec 08 and am approaching the end of my third pack. After reading all of these posts, I think I will switch to another bcp soon. Pros: Yes, my breasts did get a little bigger (a nice plus), weight gain was minimal, my periods got shorter (eventually), and no menstral cramps at all (big plus). However, i've slowly been starting to feel not quite myself lately and been feeling a bit depressed. Since being on yaz, I have been SO tired, which is so unlike myself and sleeping excessively. Even my boyfriend notices it. On weekends, I don't feel like going out anywhere anymore and have been known to sleep sometimes up to 12 to 13 hrs a day since I've been on yaz (I feel like I can never get enough sleep anymore). I also noticed my sex drive has slowly diminished and I often had problems with natural lubrication and had to start using lubes (which I never had problems with prior to using yaz). Also, my left arm has been getting numb quite often (which only started happening since i've been on yaz) which I'm quite concerned about since I know that can be a possible sign of a stroke among other things. This was the main reason why I started researching more about yaz (wish I had done this in the first place). And don't talk about having frequent cramps in my legs, it's annoying. However, only being 3 months in, I just never thought to associate it with yaz. I just kept telling myself that I must be very tired or that maybe the cold weather was cramping up my legs (naive I know given this never happened during previous winters). But after reading all these posts, I'm coming to the conclusion that yaz may be best for those that experience bad mood swings, emotional imbalances, etc. associated with periods (PMDD) as these seem to be the people that yaz helps the most. However, this may not be the best option for those individuals (like myself) that don't have severe moodiness, are not usually depressed, etc. (no problems with PMDD) b/c yaz then seems to make these individuals more emotional, depressed, etc. Given the fact that some of the more serious side effects of yaz are possible stroke, blod clots, etc., as well as the fact that I'm starting to have numbness in my arm (and don't mention the excessive fatigue and depression) I think this will be my last pack of yaz. Hope this helps someone, b/c previous posts have sure helped me realize that I am not alone and need to change pills. My advice: do your research BEFORE starting yaz (something i should of done) and if you decide to try yaz, pay close attention to what your body is telling you; dont just blow it off and try to make up excuses for it like i did. Good luck to all of you :-)

Guest wrote:

Hmm...you need to do some more research. There ARE some SERIOUS possible side effects associated with yaz just like any other birth control pill that can be fatal such as possible stroke, blod clots, and heart attack. Any of these three if serious can kill you.

There are lawyers now interested in the cases of women having serious psychological effects from Yaz or Yasmin.

My side effects included:

-Severe anxiety
-Panic attacks
-Loss of appetite
-Persistent rapid heart rate
-Ear fullness and pain

Please contact me for information regarding how to get ahold of the law firm that is handling this case.

I've been on Yaz for a month now, and I've just started the inactive pills. Anxiously awaiting my period, only because I'm a newbie and I'm freaking :? So far its been wonderful, I have very few complaints. My symptoms have only really been slight moodiness, peeing pretty often (thanks to the person who said Yaz has a slight diuretic in it - i was so confused as to why I was urinating more often than normal), and hour-long migraines about once to twice a week. Also some breast tenderness and a little swelling, which doesn't bother me too much. All in all I love it!

The reason I searched this post was to look for when I should get my period - glad to see it'll most likely be around this Saturday (I'm a Sunday starter) and probably go into next week.

Also, I have pretty severe PMS, with horrific cramps (the kind that make you wake up at 3 and stay awake til the sun rises - also the kind that make you throw up from such severe agony :( ) so I'm hoping those PMS symptoms will chill a little bit when I start my first period on Yaz. Thanks to everyone who posted, every single post was a great help!

One last thing - in the forum before this one (the one that was closed for too many posts) someone asked for the original price of Yaz? I'm 17 and my parents don't know I'm on birth control, so I have to keep it off the insurance and pay for it with my own money. Last complaint about it ..... its $64.95. :shock: Yeah.. I know. Burns a crater in my wallet.. but I deal. Thanks again! :)

Oh Thank you for this thread...!!! Yes, I read the pamphlet - yes I asked the doc questions... I looked it up on Web MD - NOTHING has hit home like this! I AM NOT CRAZY!! %-)
I'm 49 and have been on Yaz for 2 years now.
2 years or so ago I had asked the doc about mood swings... I had had some anxiety but now am thinking it was pre-menopausal and stress related... he put me on Yaz, saying it helps women with anxiety and mood swings! He also gave me Xanax for my anxiety...
Then I started noticing that it was sort of regluar with my "schedule" - start of the month, OK, then worse and worse, then decreasing.
I feel so relieved! The heart flutters, severe anxiety, the "fight or flight" response any time the kids had to be scolded... everything. I even went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack!
Just recently I was overwhelmed with the concept that it was Yaz! :-|
The only way I found this was looking for potassium overloads, and then put in potassium and Yax and found this~
Before, I kept searching the Internet, looking for side effects - these we (that have bad reactions) are having are SO down-played it isn't funny. >:(
I think this is good for those having a LOT of mood differentials BEFORE going on Yaz - those of us with mild symptoms DO NOT need it! I am quitting it immediately!
THANK YOU again! :-D

The woman that posted the thread about the lawsuit you did not leave your information on how to contact you and Im new to this site. I have also had these severe symptoms with yaz and am no longer taking it. I would love to contact you and help the lawsuit if i can. these guys deserve to pay.
thanks