Has anyone had a hemoirroidectomy with a lot less painfull recovery as im due one this month had hemorrroid banding which didnt work was in the worst pain ever for 9 days

Am ok just really scared my operation is in two days

Spurs4ever, I'm 6 days post-op. Just posted my experience a few moments ago. I've had a good experience so far, if you have the time, read through my post and I'll be happy to answer any questions. Everyone is different, but I've had a pain-free recovery thus far.

Can't remember How to log in or read plop post my minds blank even forgot password

I apologize for hijacking your post and I can't seem to figure out how to include parenthetical breaks. Anyway, here's my post and I hope it helps your anxiety. God knows I was frightened to death a few days before my procedure.
----

LONG POST DISCLAIMER!

Hi everyone. I’ve been reading this site for months, got some good info, and thought I would give back. Some of the horror stories spooked me, and I seriously thought about cancelling my surgery numerous times, but ended up going through with it. Hopefully if you’re on the fence, my story will encourage you. For the record, I’m 5 days post-op.
I’m a 45 year old male, in relatively good shape, and I suffer from hemorrhoids. Writing that makes me feel like I’m in some 12-step program. I’ve had this condition for about 20 years, been through the non-surgical alternatives, and finally found a good doctor that would listen to me, so I signed up for a hemorrhoidectomy. I had one prolapsed ‘roid and another smaller external. The plan was to excise both of them. He was very clear about this being a big deal and not something to take lightly. He told me the recovery was fairly long and it would be painful. I was on the fence for about 6 months, but ended up signing up for the surgery.

The best advice I can give is this: FIND YOURSELF A GOOD DOCTOR, STAY ON TOP OF YOUR CONDITION, AND DON’T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER. I’ve been through a number of doctors with this condition, and I wish I hadn’t let my previous doctors make me feel foolish or embarrassed when I had questions and concerns. If I had taken my own advice, I wouldn’t have gotten to this point and I wouldn’t be sitting (lying) here today, posting the story of my hemorrhoidectomy. Anyway, enough lecturing, here’s my story.

Started prepping my diet 4 days prior, switched to no meat and ate only vegetables, breads, pasta, and soft foods. Showed up at the outpatient center for my procedure on 1/31 at 6 AM. They were very professional, walked me through what was about to happen, and started the IV. One moment I’m lying in a bed with an IV in my hand, the next moment I wake up in another room with a throbbing pain in my backside. I was hurting, so they gave me a strong dose of something (morphine?). A couple hours later, I’m on the way home. Drank lots of water and Gatorade, and finally peed about 2:30 that afternoon. The doctor prescribed a big bottle of Percocet (oxycodone) and I spent the first day in a fog, apparently chatty and repeating myself, according to my wife. Didn’t sleep more than 20 minutes at a time that night, spasms would hit me regularly. They were fairly uncomfortable, but not what I would call painful. No pain after initially waking up, though.

Day 2, I woke up and started my recovery. Still foggy headed, but no pain. Started my daily regimen of Metamucil, Miralax, Gas X, and a tablet stool softener. Ate some soup and crackers and laid around the house. I was taking 2 Percocets every 4 hours and staying well hydrated (peeing every 30 minutes or so). Went to the pharmacy to pick up some Maxi pads (nothing more humbling than being a man and staring at the variety of feminine products to pick what you may need), some gauze, Milk of Magnesia, and Gas X. Went to bed feeling pretty good, no pain yet.

Day 3, my daughter had a basketball game, so I went to it. Had to stand, but feeling good. Probably the drugs. By the way, there’s some good smartphone apps that will keep you on your medication schedule. Came home, laid around the house, sent my wife and daughter to the beach for the weekend. I was determined to get that first bowel movement out of the way, so I took a couple spoonfuls of Milk of Magnesia and laid out all my supplies. Ran the water in the tub and waited. Paced a hole in the floor for an hour. From reading the stories here, I was prepared for the most painful experience of my life. After an hour, it was Game Time! Sat down, breathed deeply, and … had a bowel movement that can best be described as soft serve ice cream. No pain, no burning. Just sat there for a few minutes, waiting for the pain that didn’t show up. Cleaned up with some wet wipes and hopped in the tub. Took a shower, dressed, and my parents came over for a visit. I was feeling good, so I talked them into taking me to the grocery store, where I picked up some more Gatorade (I may contact Gatorade about endorsement possibilities), then I went to a Japanese take-out (if you’re into writing, this is an example of Chekhov’s Gun) where I ordered a rice and vegetable entrée and grabbed a couple of the white sauce packets.

Stopped at a local store on the way home to pick up some new pajamas (I want to look sporty during my recovery). Ate the food (it was awesome having a good meal, I ate the whole plate!). Feeling good. My parents hung around for an hour, then they left. I was watching Netflix (a must have during your recovery!) and giggling to myself as I started passing gas for the first time post-op. Then I felt the urge. Made my way to the bathroom, unbeknownst to me that I was in for a wild ride. For the next 18 hours, I was locked into a cycle of diarrhea. So much for my fear of pooping. Probably had about 15 bowel movements. I’m blaming the big meal and the sauces, and just a little FYI: the white sauce has horseradish in it. Since I was alone, I quit taking my pain meds, for fear that I may have to drive myself to the ER if I started bleeding heavily. But I didn’t, and while I was extremely uncomfortable, I can’t say that I was in severe pain.

Finally regained control of myself about mid day on Day 4. That afternoon and night, I had horrible bloating and gas buildup, and the spasms were frequent and quite uncomfortable. I think most of my spasms have been coming from gas buildup. Anyway, Day 4 consisted of a lot of bloating and gas, and when I got the courage up to pass gas, I would have to change my gauze and clean myself up. Not something I like to admit, but we’re among friends here, right? My wife came home that afternoon and I started back on my pain meds, because I was having a little pain and burning back there. I didn’t take the meds regularly while I slept, because I wanted to drive my daughter to school the next morning.

Day 5, I awoke and dressed to take my daughter to school. But I got struck by spasms just before we left, so I asked my wife to take her. I ran to the bathroom and barely got my pants down before I had a volcanic eruption. A little painful, but nothing I couldn’t handle. Afterwards, I had a great day. Watched Netflix and started taking meds again. Stopped my medicating at bedtime.

Day 6, I woke up early and had my first “normal” bowel movement post-op. It was bulkier than the rest, so it hurt for the first time (scale of 1-10, I’d give it a 5). I drove for the first time and took my daughter to school. Stopped by the grocery store and picked up more Gatorade and soup. Then I came home, took a couple of Percocets, and started writing.

After my calamity on Day 3 and 4, I stopped taking stool softeners and Miralax and just taking a glass of Metamucil in the morning and at night. I most likely could stop taking the Percocets altogether, but after not taking them for 12 hours, I’ve found that I’m getting a little sore, so right now my routine is to take them during the day and skipping the night meds.

If you’re still reading along, I guess my message is this: everyone is different and will respond to this procedure differently. But every procedure does not turn into a horror movie. If you are a chronic sufferer of this condition like me, consider the surgery. While I still have a ways to go (I scheduled 2 weeks off work, but plan to go back sooner if I continue to recover at this rate), and I may be looking at some bad days and setbacks ahead of me, I would go back and get this surgery again if it can offer me a permanent fix to my condition.

For me, this experience has been more psychological than physical. I’ll admit, over the past 5 days I’ve had moments where I’ve wondered if I’ll ever be back to normal again, but I’ve been handling that by setting goals each day. Today’s goal is to have a beer with my wife when she gets home from work, and my long-term goal is to have a cheeseburger on Day 9.

I’ll be home all week, so if you have any questions I’ll be happy to try and answer them. If nothing else, I can give you some reviews on the best shows on Netflix. Thanks again to all of you who have posted your experiences. Reading these stories helped me prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

my fear is recovery not the opp as i had banding done last year continuous pain for 9 days couldnt even sleep mine are internal about 3 or 4 which i bleed from they do come out only when i go toilet or cough

thanks am in the uk and think we get diff meds

Had my opp day 9 of recovery now

I had my hemorrhoidectomy on Oct. 9, 2012, to remove external and internal hemorrhoids. Internal banding for one hemorrhoid, but he cut out two major clusters of external hemorrhoids. some stitches and some open wounds. It was extremely painful during recovery but it was absolutely worth it. First 2 weeks are are truly awful then weeks 3-4 get more tolerable. Was back at work at 3.5 weeks, but hard to sit, not enough energy and a lot of time in the restroom.  But I am so much better for the surgery. No more hemorrhoids, no more bleeding, and way more energy. Some periodic itching, and I still need to avoid getting constipated. Cottonelle wipes are still a great invention, before and after surgery.  I still use stool softeners some days, particularly if meal is harder to digest. I do have 2 small remaining skin tags, and  go back to see my surgeon tomorrow to see when he will deal with those.  if hemorrhoids are ruling your life like mine were, then go get the surgery. But you must find really experienced colorectal surgeon. Hang in there.

I had surgery double heimirroidectomy should of had 3 removed but coz size surgeon would only remove 2 wants me to have later surgery can't really say if I will they left the extra one outside but swelling going daily and it's starting to go back up had no after care and not having any check up till 2 months following surgery I'm now on day 11 of recovery