I am 19 years old and got a tonsillectomy 8 days ago and have not ONCE had to use my pain killers. the pain i felt before with chronic strep throat and tonsillitis was 10 times worse. the worst part of the whole experience is having to drink so much water and not being able to eat what you want. i drank 24 oz of water PER HOUR. night 1-day 6 i set an alarm EACH HOUR to wake myself up to drink that 24 oz and if i missed any amount of time sleeping, i'd make up for it gradually throughout the day. you people scared me half to DEATH on these boards, i thought i was going to have to endure torture. i am not sure why i had such a different experience with my tonsillectomy but one thing i do know is do not listen to these horror stories!

I am pretty sure that your experience was a lot easier for you since you drank so much water and also based on your age. A lot of other people here who have had a tonsillectomy have had to do it at an older age and surgery recovery takes longer, so please bear that in mind. I'm glad to hear it's going well for you. Do you have any other tips for us?

Hey everyone. I am 20 years old and just got a tonsillectomy 2 weeks ago. I agree with the first post to some extent. After reading all the horror stories going into the surgery, I was totally freaked out and expected the worst. But to my surprise, it really wasn't as bad as what some other people had made it out to be, for me atleast. Basically, the first day I was in very little pain. It was difficult to swallow, but I made sure I drank lots and lots of gatorade and water. I'm talking like 7 bottles of ICE cold water. I think that helped a lot more than anything because it kept my throat hydrated and kept the swelling and bleeding down. I also forced myself to eat the first day. I ate jello, applesauce, chicken and stars soup, sherbert ice cream and some diced pears. Oh yeah, and don't forget to take your pain meds on time. I was given liquid Lortab and it did enough to keep the edge off the pain, which was enough. The first night of sleep was nonexistant because my throat was swollen and everytime I fell asleep, I would wake myself up because I would snore, and I dont snore normally. After the first night though, I was able to sleep no problem. The second day was the same as the first. The third and fourth day were the worst for me painwise. On the 3rd day, I realized the pain med. was making me nauseous and I ended up vomiting a total of around 5 times that night. After that I cut the dose in half and that helped a lot. 5th day was a turning point for me, as I was able to eat a sandwich from panera bread, hallelujah! Dont get me wrong, it wasnt easy trying to swallow it, but I made myself do it anyway. Days 6-8, I still mostly ate soft foods like macaroni and cheese, but I made sure I ate plenty of it so I wasn't starving. I also was able to eat some pizza if I chewed it up really well. Bananas are good too. After day 8, it was smooth sailing. It was like I woke up one day and my throat felt fine. It didn't hurt to swallow at all. Overall, I think the moral of the story is just to be patient and let your body take it's time to heal. Everyone is different, but just keep a positive attitude. Oh yeah, and drink lots and lots and lots and lots of water/gatorade, no joke. That helped tremendously. And make sure you don't starve yourself. Eat the foods you are able to, and eat lots of it.

~Cassie~

I'm 13 so I guess I have kind of an advantage wit age, but my disadvantage is...well, I freak out very easily. The phlem in my throat freaked me out and I worked myself up and made it worse (couldn't breathe). I now avoid things like yogurt and oudding as the worsen that matter.
Anyways, my concern is bleeding. I got the surgery Monday morning and it is now late Wednesday night. I was wondering when the scab will come off and how it will come off. I've read some pretty bad horror stories. And I also read not to eat oast as it will scratch off the scab early and cause bleeding. If I start to bleed I will freak out. Dx And make it worse.

PLEASE REPLY

Hi there, it's been about a month since you last posted and I want to hear if your recovery from tonsil surgery went as welll as you initially reported. I now some people have a pretty nice period where they feel no pain and then start to feel pain in their second week so I'd like to know if that was the case for you as well. Let me know! Thanks.

After one week, or a day before even one week, I went out and had solid food. It still hurt a little but form that point on I started eating normally again. Nothing ever came back, maybe a little dryness sometimes, but now it's all behind me. I only ever had bleeding once or twice and it wasn't too bad. All in all, a good recovery.

You're really lucky that your recovery went so smoothly, but it isn't fair for you to say that no one should listen to the rest of us. It's actually a pretty stupid thing to say.

All of us had these real experiences, so we're just trying to help out everyone else. They are not "horror stories" - it actually happened to us. Things are different for everyone and the advice I got at this site really helped me.

Well, I think that the point that he's making is not that people shouldn't listen to experiences--it's just that some people have posted some very melodramatic experiences and claim that you should never ever undergo the surgery. I don't know if he's even around to defend himself anymore, but it was a lot worse before where a lot of people were claiming that the surgery is awful. But it is right, it is good to try to share experiences. How long ago did you get your surgery done?

I'm on day 6 of my recovery right now.

Hi Kitri, how's your recovery going? Day 6 is usually when things get easier! I haven't had my tonsils out but my dad did and he's totally fine now. But that first week was awful.

Hey guys,

20 years old and am going in for a tonsillectomy tomorrow(the 30th). Don't laugh but I'm literally scared to death- first surgery and doctor has put this off for a long time due to "severe complication possibilities" due to my age. :$ I know this is going to sound stupid but I was so excited to finally get them out when I went into the appointment/consultation I didn't ask many questions. Do you feel anything DURING the procedure? When afterwards were you up to going out ... like to the gym? (<--- Big concern for me) I tend to get worked up about these sorts of things wh/ is great afterwards because it's no where as bad as I assumed, HOWEVER, it does stress me out and prevent sleeping. If someone could get back to me that would be awesome.

Thank you so much for posting your stories,
Erin

Hi, I disagree with the first poster, because I am now on my 8th day of recovery. And the pain is almost so unbearable as to me nearly crying when i wake up in the morning, and quickly following me waking up, i force down my pain meds, having the max dose that I can, and the pain still doesnt completely go away. I am only 16, and I got the surgery in hope to help my sleep apnia, and to stop my tonsils enlarging bi-annualy, which at that time stopped me from breathing very well, and let out a whistling sound when i did breath. My experiance though:

Day 1: After the surgery, i let the hospital around 11 AM (didnt stay the night), and when i got home I crawled into bed, and didnt really have the meds they put me on in the hospital do anything to me, but the pain was minor, at least I see it is minor now, it was decently bad then, before I had gone through the pain i am now. But, I was talking on the first day, but I didnt realize that would bite me in the @$$ in later days.

Day 2: It still didnt hurt too bad, a little less than the day before. I was kickin back and enjoying life, thinking 2 weeks out of school with this minor pain, wonder why i didnt try to get this done even sooner. I had been eating Ice Cream, Sherbert, Drinking some water (I should have been drinking much much more.) But, the best thing so far, is Jello. It isnt a dairy product- Its slippery and just slides down your throat. I HIGHLY recommend Jell-o.

Day 3: Pain was getting a little worse mainly in the mornings, but i was on my meds the rest of the day, so I don't know how bad the pain would have been without them. Tried to eat some "solid" foods this day. Ate Pasta, which was covered in butter, that seems like it was going down fine, but then again it also seemed like a rock going down after going two days without eating anything with more substance than Ice Cream.

Day 4: Pain when waking up in the morning is becoming a lot worse, up to this day, I still hadnt had a full nights sleep, waking up every few hours or so. Eating more solid foods, I thought things were going well, I thought I was on a quick road to recovery. Although, I started having heat flashes, I believe caused by my medication.

Day 5: I got a full nights sleep finally, And I think this operation helped cure my sleep apnia. I felt like I got an actual full night of sleep, which amazed me. However, the awakeness was quickly stopped by my medication, putting me nearly to sleep. The pain was average still, maybe a 6/10 not too bad.

Day 6: THE PAIN!. I got a full night of sleep, but wish i had woken up frequently in order to take my pain medication. At this point, I decided to revert back only to the things they told me to eat, no solid things anymore, it hurt too much to risk it now. I tried to eat small amounts of chicken though, due to my mom urging me to try. I couldnt eat it, one bite and i was done. Not that it was too tough to eat, I just had no apetite.

Day 7: I started to find that something was stuck in my throat, or food that hadnt been swallowed. In multiple attempts to swallow it, I realized that it was my Uvula, swollen, and in the way of anything I was trying to swallow. I actually spent awhile trying to swallow my own uvula before I realized what it was. But, through the annoyance, I managed to go to sleep that day.

Day 8(Today): I woke up this morning, in the most excruciating pain, I havent yet been able to talk, without feeling like my throat was ripping apart. But, I have been downing water like there is no tommorrow, and after my pain meds it is decently painful. But, so far, the pain has subsided thanksto my meds.

Thats all I have to say so far, but I will fill more in if I remember to as the days progress.

I had the most amazing recovery i could ever ask for.
i agree, my tonsil infections were much worse and painful then my recovery from the tonsilectomy...
im on day 5, and im already eating solid foods again, yay.
my tonsil infections would have me on the floor crying and pulling my hair begging for pain killers at the hospital(which for that, they would not give me pain killers), but they will gladly give me pain killers after surgery, kinda funny.
ya these stories scared the living c**p out of me before surgery, my mama was mad that i was even looking this up lol
but surgery was great, recovery is great (im hoping it stays great lol).
if you guys wanna feel real pain, try kidney stones ;-)
that kinda pain really makes you want to kill yourself.

Im on day nine and havent barely. Anything in 9 days and pain is still severe

I guess the surgery goes different for everyone, but I'm 16 and had tonsillitis so many times they took my tonsils. I thought that was the worst pain I'd ever be in, I was wrong.
Day 1: I woke up in level 4 pain. I'd bitten my tongue so hard there were tracks in it and my throat felt small, sharp pains. I did not sleep at all that night, and drank plenty of water.
Day 2: I hadn't slept the night before but I was sleeping through out the day. Jello became my best friend, I prefer sugar free lime because it won't dry your throat. Pain was increasing to a 5. I slept 4 hours this night
Day 3: I napped throughout the morning again. Felt close to no pain and tried talking again, later this would be a mistake. I took a liking to vanilla shakes bc it helped a lot with the swelling when blended thoroughly. I slept 9 hours that night.
Day 4: This was the first wave of excruciating pain. My throat swelled against my eardrums and any light/sound was unbearable. I was in tears. Ice cream shake and pain meds helped me fall asleep, when I woke up I took more pain meds, this was the point I realized how much pain medicine I needed. Slept 8 hours
Day 5: I felt resilient, I could talk no problem, ate pasta, which was more amazing than I remembered and rolls, even more amazing. That night was easy to sleep after my meds, I was fine.
Day 6: I woke up in a lot of pain (7) but my medicine helped this day. Around 9pm I was in my own personal hell. My eardrums felt they were being pinched, my scabs bled some, I cried myself to sleep around 1am. My ibuprofen wasn't working for me anymore.
Day 7: My mother took me to the hospital, any sound made me cry in pain, light made me dizzy, drinking water burned my throat. They prescribed heavier pain medication and I was able to sleep. Pain level today was a 10. I'm only eating jello and water today. And can't talk even with the codiene meds.

My recovery hasn't been easy at all, but everyone has it different. Some people are more resilient than others and you're lucky if that's you. No one is wrong it's just their experience.