I wanted to post a topic on this, as it was my greatest fear post haemorrhoidectomy: that they would reoccur. I was convinced that new ones had formed after my op, as a lot of the symptoms post op feel like haemorrhoids (soreness, itching). My surgeon did a full examination 3 months later and confirmed there were absolutely no new ones there. So there's a lot of paranoia after this operation! I've noticed a few others post on here really worried new ones had formed, but in most cases it seems to be swelling/skin tags.

There's not that much information on recurrence out there, which I guess means it's not very copmmon: has anyone experienced it? I've read that it happens only in 5% of cases and usually these can be treated with banding/injections rather than further surgery as I guess they're caught early as people are more aware.

My surgeon also explained that actual recurrence is impossible: you can never get the same haemorrhoids back. It would be completely new ones in new places and is a long term issue rather than a short term situation. And that by sticking to a high fibre diet and not straining, you dramatically reduce the chances.

Hi Chris, yes, it turns out that you are right and it's not possible to get the same hemorrhoids twice but it does mean that you need to be careful to ensure that you don't do the same things that you used to do to avoid getting them again. I know that a lot of people strain far more than they need to when they have a BM which is what causes the issue in the first place. I hope that you're doing well and recovering nicely. Does anyone else out there have any hemorrhoids after the surgery?

I'm 30 years old and have had 3 surgeries!!!! Now my Dr wants to remove a skin tag. Not ready for it but is painful and want it dealt with. So tired of this! Any suggestions?

Hi there I have just come back from the docs, and he has suugested another hemerhoidectomy ,I had one 18 months ago annd went through hell I lost a lot of blood and they had to go back in to stop the bleeding it took me a long tome to recover with severe pain then blood loss related issues when I finally got over all that I probably had about 6 good months now they seem to be back with a vengance I have a lot of anul stabbing pain and bleeding. Iexercise every day eat healthy am not overweight and have never been constipated in fact I am opposite please help I dont want the op again the doc says banding or injecting wont help!

Did you go through another surgery as your doctor suggested? I had PPH surgery about 2 months ago, which was a quite painful process/recovery. It caused a lot of pressure with BMs and resulted in a stage 1 thrombosis external. After waiting a month to see if it cleared up, I had another surgery to remove it. I am 2 weeks out of that and have that sharp stabbing pain during BMs. I fear reoccurrence like crazy. I am similarly a healthy person, exercise a lot and eat healthy. What has been you experience with the reoccurrence process? Any info would be great.

You think it's gone, but it's not. Recurrence of hemorrhoids after haemorrhoidectomy is quite an issue amongs sufferer. If you experience signs of them reccrring, alert your doctor immediately.

yes, I do have a thrombosed internal roid after a fairly good recovery from surgery 3.5 weeks ago.
I did some squatting and scrubbing work for too long and had one rear its ugly face. How common is this and how is it generally handled? could it possibly go away or should I consider being seen?

When I was 40 I had a hemorrhoidectomy. The post op was the most painful experience of my life. 26 years later and I am starting to have hemorrhoids again. I have been to my doctor and am treating myself with prescription cream. I do hope this us not leading to further surgery as I would never go through that again. I understand this is also a hereditary condition? My father suffered also. I stand all day on marble floor at work and I am sure this is not helping.

Hi, did u end up having surgery? I, too, had surgery for them 2 years ago. After surgery, i experienced pain with the skin tags & scar tissue. I had an office proedure done & let me tell ya, that was horrible but I didnt have any problems agter that till now. I just had a baby 3 months ago & boom, there they come again. I would hesitantly do it again to be pain free. This is awful. :(

I had hemorrhoidectomy 5 years ago and the post op was really painful. I remember the buckets of tears I cried because of pain before the doctor (who was with other patients) finally instructed the nurse to inject me a pain reliever. Apparently, the oral medicine I took didnt help much on relieving the pain. Ever since, Ive been cautious of the food I eat - I should have fruits everyday, drink lots of water, etc. But then 3 days ago, I had to strain when I went to the toilet. Days after that, I feel pain everytime I go to the toilet. Until yesterday, I saw blood. So i went to see a doctor only to realize I have hemorrhoids again and worse, anal fissures! The doc said its not impossible to have a reoccuring piles. But as long as it can be tamed by medication, nothing to worry about. Well, the sole fact that I have hemorrhoids again worries me! Im on the 2nd day taking antibiotics so hopefully, the hemorrhoids and fissures will be gone after a week.

I had hemriods cut out inside then colon stitched back up , out side ones removed also after failed banding , that was April 2015 , it was confirmed in August 2015 , I now had new ones. Long as they don't bleed they ok , last night I had a bleed , looks like I'm going back to see the surgery team , I have ibs so run like water so straining is not the issue , it's so frustrating

I have a skin tag also which is irritating and uncomfortable, my doctor said you do not have to have it removed because the skin tissue is still recovering. I had my surgery 2 years ago! Did you get your skin tag removed, if so how was the surgery.

I'm scheduled for surgery in a week, I am very reluctant about having it done. Now that I have read the reviews I'm definitely canceling the surgery, it seems that there's really nothing that helps the pain and discomfort. If anyone who has had surgery had a good experience and is now pain free please let me know. I appreciate the help.

Don't ever have the surgery if I can save anyone from the pain.

Do not cancel your surgery! It's human nature that most people will post the horror stories and not the success stories! I had the surgery 3 weeks ago, yes it was painful and uncomfortable but if you stay on top of your meds and laxatives, take them religiously as prescribed even when you don't feel pain and honestly, whilst unpleasant, it is manageable. I was back at work within 2 weeks and now I am almost completely healed, no pain at all, small amount of blood after BM's but that will clear up soon I'm sure. Best thing I've ever done after suffering with hemmorroids for years! No regrets. Go for it and good luck!