I am a diabetic and I have suffered on and off for several years; this last episode has lasted several months with some degree of improvement and tolerable pain/discomfort. My question is .....is the surgery worth it? I have read this site since May and it seems most people are unhappy. I would love to hear from ones who are glad they had the surgery. 8-|

I, too, am diabetic and have suffered from hemorrhoids for about ten years. A month or two ago I had a new one appear. This past Saturday I had a bowel movement and my anus was a mess. On Monday, I went to my family doctor. He tried to get me into surgery that day. It ended up being the next morning before the surgeon could see me, but he said my case was too severe for an in-office procedure, so he scheduled me for the operating room at the hospital on Wednesday morning. He did tell me it would be very painful, and that there was no way around it as there were so many nerve endings in that area.

Like you, I didn't have much information and I went on the internet on Tuesday night to find out what I could... I became extremely frightened and contemplated postponing the surgery so I could take more time off and get some family members here to help me for a few days (I live alone several hours away).

I went ahead with the surgery.

I went in for surgery about 8:00am. I was awake in recovery by about 11:00am. Recovering from the anesthesia kept me groggy, but the pain immediately afterwards was maybe half of what I thought it might be. (Granted, I have never had any type of surgery before or broken or bone, and after reading those accounts online I was expecting a LOT of pain.)

By about 1:30pm, I was more off the general anesthesia, so the nurse gave me two Percocet. By 2:00pm, I was feeling exceptionally well (maybe 20% of the pain I expected), and was told I could go home as soon as I peed.

At 6:00pm, when my Percocet was wearing off, the nurse offered me two more, but I just took one. I still hadn't peed, even though I'd consumed about 100 oz. of diet soda by that point. I was getting a bit concerned, as the deadline for me to pee was 7:00pm to avoid getting a catheter.

Well, they extended the catheter deadline for me. By about 8:00pm I started having significant spasms (though still only about 30% of expected pain). The nurse told me this was a sign that the local anesthesia was almost out of my system and that this was good as it meant I might be able to pee soon.

She was right. I peed (just a little) about 9:00pm and was sent home. A friend picked me up. We went by the pharmacy for my meds (Percocet, stool softener, Metamucil), picked up another friend to drive my car home for me, and I was home by 10:00pm.

I took two Percocet, hoping I might be able to sleep, but was still amazed how little pain I felt. I was able to scrub my tub (in case I needed a sitz bath) and then went to bed. I woke up every couple of hours because I had to pee so often. My urination started slow, but by early morning I was peeing normally. I took two more Percocet at 2:00am (and also some ibuprofen in between). At 6:00am, I just took one Percocet, and that was my last one.

I continue to be amazed by how little pain I feel. In fact, the second day I was made more uncomfortable by sore stomach muscles (from getting up and down carefully so often) and sore chest muscles (from coughing up phlegm from the dry throat caused by the general anesthesia).

Last night, I started passing gas, but it was absolutely painless. I also had a small bowel movement, and found it basically painless.

Today, I returned to the Dr.'s office (I drove myself). He was held up in surgery, so I had to sit in the waiting room for over two hours. That was the most uncomfortable I've been since I got out of the procedure, but I should have taken a pillow to sit on.

I was so amazed at my recovery, I thought surely I had a laser procedure (which can be shorter recovery). No, I did not. I have stitches. The doctor said the staple procedure can involve less pain, but that one of my hemorrhoids was placed so that I was not a candidate. He said I had one very nasty one removed, and another one not quite as bad.

He did seem surprised by how great I looked and felt, so I guess I'm not the usual case. He said I could return to work on Monday, and that I could eat whatever I wanted (as long as I kept drinking water and taking my fiber), and even that I could exercise (though I don't think I'm quite ready for that).

I just wanted to be sure you knew that most of the people who are posting on these sites are here because they are having a bad experience--the ones with good experiences don't really need to look for information or help. I would imagine that most experiences are somewhere between those (the worst) and mine (the best).

Perhaps my greatest delight was showering this morning, washing my rectum and being amazed at how normal it felt for the first time in years.

My experience would lead me to advise that you should not hesitate about having this surgery. With the exception of the couple of hours immediately after surgery, the pain/discomfort has been not much worse than what I suffered through with the hemorrhoids.

I did no special diet prior to surgery. The only thing I did that may have helped was some meditation and creative visualization for a healthy procedure and a pain-free recovery.

I hope the best for you, whatever decision you make.

Thank you so much for this info; did you have the pph or something else? Also was your surgeon a colon/rectal surgeon or general surgeon?

I really appreciate your detailed account of your experience and I hope your recovery continues to be speedy.

My recovery was going so well, I thought surely I had gotten laser surgery without knowing it. I asked my surgeon about it, and he said that it was not laser surgery, and that my case was too severe to be a candidate for the staple surgery. I had two hemorrhoids. One was older and not as severe. The newer one was apparently quite bad and is why I was sent to surgery so quickly.

My surgeon is a general surgeon.

Also, I had my first BM this morning, and it was no worse than my experiences with the hemorrhoids prior to the surgery--in fact, it was a great deal easier than I ever might have expected.

Good luck to you.

I should add that I had my worst day so far.

I got up this morning (5th day after surgery), had a BM about 9:00am, and headed into work. I started having intestinal cramps. They became pretty painful, though sporadic. I did manage to teach my class, but I went to lie down in my office afterward. It seemed to help, but the cramps didn't go away. At noon I had another larger BM. It helped, but the cramps kept coming. I came home, had a warm sitting bath. It helped a little, but by 1:00pm I was really hurting. I almost passed out from the pain of the cramps, but my surgery area was fine. I had two more BMs, one a few minutes after the other, both rather large movements. I was not experiencing any pain in the rectal area, but was still in pain from intestinal cramps. At about 1:30, I had the worst cramps so far. I sat on the toilet and had diarrhea. Once I was done with the diarrhea (it wasn't long, and it was not painful) I just laid on the bathroom floor for a few minutes. I was worn out.

But I guess I was done. I was fine after that and another warm sitting bath. I guess I had just backed up a lot of material that wasn't passing--probably just from the shock of the surgery. I was worn out and had to lie down for a while, but I feel fine again. I plan to be back at work again tomorrow.

That was my worst few hours. Hopefully my body has gone through an adjustment now and the cramps won't come that badly again. I'm reducing my stool softener dose since I had diarrhea.

Still though, have had a very positive experience with this procedure.

I am just amazed at your recovery!! But glad to know that there is hope. I teach 4th grade and am hoping to make it till June so I will have a few weeks to recover.

Good luck and may you experience a speedy and complete recovery.

Just wondering how your recovery is doing now?

Thanks for this... considering surgery and trying to really research to see if it is worth it.

Had my surgery on May 22,2017. The Dr. Said I would be back to work in two week lol. The first three days were hell . Only on day three I had a BM it was painful, passing gas was just​ as bad.six days later I was able​ to have a good BM, and the only way I was able to go was to take 600mg of ibuprofen to reduce the swelling inside to pass BM. I would sit on a towel which help the pressure on the stool press two hot towel against my butt checks and push. That was the only way I had Good BMs. I know the ibuprofen help I could feed the swelling going down, boy I must say I will not be going back to work in two weeks, maybe three. Take a ward bath after each BM ,put neosporin on the stitch and take stool softener every day along with milk of Magnesia. But take off woke til you are able to sit down.

Thank you so very much

Wow! Thank you for posting this. You have given me hope.! I habe surgery in two days and in extremely nervous because it's hard to find a positive story online.
Again. Thankyou so so so so much. You have no idea how much this helps