One of my friends had an accident on skiing. She survived terrible fall where she hurt her neck. There is a certain fracture on her cervical disc. I don’t know exactly which one. Anyway now her motions are very difficult and painful, so from the shots of last MRI doctor suggested cervical spinal fusion surgery. He tends to put bone graft in her. I am very worried about her. Is that necessary? I don’t understand completely what it means. I would like to hear some explanation.

One of my acquaintances had cervical spinal fusion surgery last year. They needed bone graft too to achieve a spinal fusion. They actually fused one vertebra to another. His own bone will grow into and around the bone graft and incorporate the graft bone as its own and this way single bone surface is created. This eliminates motion at the fused joint. Decreasing the motion of the painful cervical disc the pain is also decreased. There are different types of bone graft used for this procedure as the levels of the fusion. I think that will estimate what is best for her from The MRI shots.