I have a grandmother that suffers from hypertension for many years already. During her treatment, I always liked to read about medicines she has. This time, her doctor prescribed her HCTZ, and I want to hear exact name of this medicine. She is old, and she just knows this, as her doctor told her, but I want to hear more about it. What is the most important thing she should know about her newly prescribed drug?

HCTZ is a Hydrochlorothiazide, used as diuretic, or water pill. It increases the amount of water and salt person lose in the urine and decreases edema. This occurs because of swelling or fluid retention. Some people are not able to take HCTZ and irbesartan, or they might require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment. This happens if they have any of some special conditions, such as diabetes, gout, pancreatitis, high levels of cholesterol or triglycerides in blood, etc. Your grandmother should take HCTZ exactly as directed by her doctor. If she does not understand these directions, ask her pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to her. It is recommended to take each dose with a full glass of water. It is important to know she should stop taking HCTZ contact doctor if lightheadedness or fainting occurs. If she experiences any of the side effects, such as an allergic reaction, that refers to difficulty breathing, closing of throat, swelling of lips, tongue, or face and hives, then fast heartbeats, and little or no urine, she should stop taking this medication and call doctor immediately