For a few years already, I suffer from high blood pressure, or hypertension. My doctor said we should try to cure cause of this problem. Until then, he recommended me to use hydrochlorothiazide. He said that is going to help me to lower my blood pressure. I would like to hear more about this medicine, how it helps with pressure.

Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic, which means it increases the amount of urine passed. That causes your body to lose water and salt, treating high blood pressure this way. Beside this effect, Hydrochlorothiazide reduces swelling and water retention caused by some other medical conditions, such as heart, liver, or kidney disease. Before you start with this medicine, your doctor should know if you suffer of any medical conditions, especially diabetes, pancreatitis, gout, liver disease or something like that. You should also tell you medical health provider about any other medicines you possible already use. I think here of any non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements or herbal products. Alcohol, smoking or illegal drugs are also able to interact with Hydrochlorothiazide, so you should report any of this to your doctor. Side effects that you should eventually report if you notice are blood in urine or stools. Beside this, diarrhea, dry mouth, mood changes, nausea, vomiting are some possible side effects you could notice while using this medicine. If everything goes well, you should anyway visit your doctor for regular checks on your progress during therapy with Hydrochlorothiazide.