Hello! My mother is 63 years old and she developed swollen feet and ankles. I am very scared because I don’t understand what could have provoked this. It suddenly happened. She was ok in the morning, and at about 7pm they got swollen. She is overweight and spends most of her time at home. Is this dangerous?

Hello! I study medicine and I know this is a very common problem actually especially in older and overweight people. It is fluid buildup in the tissues, which results in swelling. If your mother doesn’t have any other symptoms, then you should make sure she is put on low-salt diet, get her support stockings, place her in bed where she will lift her feet above heart. She also needs to walk at least one hour a day. In case she experiences any other problems, with breathing for example, she should see a doctor right away.

My grandmother is experienceing the same problems, she has done everything that you mentioned expect for placing her feet elevated. This inturn causes acid reflux, what now? Thanks

My 89 year old grandmother has fluid build up on her elbows, knees and her ankles were recently very swollen. Her daughter rubbed her feet and raised them up until they were somewhat normal. With elbows, my Mom said that when you touch it, it leaves a "finger" mark on her skin. Any advice as to why this is happening? I've been reading that a lack of water can sometimes be the culprit but can you think of something else?

IM WRITTING ABOUT MY MOTHER HER FEET ARE SWELLED REAL BAD SHE WILL NOT BE SEEN BY A DOCTOR EVER ANY SUGGESTIONS

I am a retired nurse and I understand that many people do not want to see a doctor but I am encouraging them to go as this fluid build up could be serious as is seen in congestive heart failure. I am not saying that IS the problem --ONLY that it could be or some other serious problem.

My mum is now 84 years old. Since the unexpected death of my brother 2 years ago, her youngest son, everything seems to be falling apart.
She has heart palpatations & has been put on Wolverine? not oo sure how to spell & now her arches are causing her a problem & her ankles are swelling up.
She has a shadow on her lung which has been checked but has many chest infections. Her doctor is good but she does not know about the swelling. Can you advise?

HELLO i do not study medicine,this is all caused by CANDIDA which big pharmas dont want you to know.

My mother is 72 and has had congestive heart failure and has been in and out of the hospital several times. She won't listen to me and go see a doctore about her feet. They are swallen so bad they are shinny. I am worried this is another sign of the conjestive heart failure. How do I make her understand. She first walk at all, she goes from her bed to her chair or to her PC. I am scared she is going to die soon.

Some older people lose their desire to drink water so one thing that could help is frezzer ice pops from walmart for 4.00; fruit jucie like cranberry jucie; lemonade and teas. These can help with getting those fluids in. Even perfied water with a small amout of li.e juice and hunny. The stange thing is the more fuild we drink the excess goes and helps the organs. Body weight divided by two are the oz of water we need. Some exersise when possible. All of this ask the doctor first. Its hard for some people to eiter remember their meditations or they feel find one day but that one day missing the water pill ect. The person feels the results the next day or the day after then go back and forth like a yo-yo. I home that helps