Hemmrhoidectomy done Feb. 1, 2008 by a General Surgeon. Three Internal Hemmrhoids. I am 38, have one child and gave birth naturally (not even a Tylenol) the pain from this surgery has been more painful than natural child birth. I would rather give birth three times in a row than to have to put up with the pain this surgery has caused me. It will be (4) months coming up since the surgery and I am still in terrible pain. I was told there would be pain, but that in 2 or 3 weeks I would be back in the swing of things....WHAT A JOKE!! I had the Milligan-Morgan Technique surgery which is where there are not sutures/stitches involved. They leave the wound open (butterfly cut) to heal. This is type of surgery is mostly done in the UK, but I just happened to get the General Surgeon in the US that likes this method. She said there is less of a chance of having anal Stenosis (narrowing of the anus) which may happen with the stitching due to the swelling pushing on the stitches causing scar tissue which in turn creates the narrowing.....ANYWAY... 2 1/2 weeks in to my ordeal (I survived the first Bowel Movement, which I am not sure how I did seeing as how I nearly fainted...) I called my Dr. to tell her that things didn't feel right, I was screaming, contorting, moaning just to make not even a pencil eraser size BM. They told me that they understood what I was going through and that this was all part of the healing process. I was exhausted (and that is an understatement) from all of the baths I was having to get in and out of just to help with the pain. Well, I will speed this story up for you:
Dr. didn't listen to me and I ended up in emergency, they gave me meds and sent me home.
Called Dr. again, they didn't listen to me again (we are 3 weeks in now) and I ended up in emergency again.
I explained to ER that I was taking, Colace/stool softener, laxatives, Metamucil, Milk of Magnesia, Dulcolax and still unable to have a BM. I also told them I was having a hard time urinating. They made me drink two large cups of liquid so that they could conduct a CT Scan w/dye so they could see what was going on. They gave me Dilodid while I waited (4) hours before I could get scanned. The Dr. came in and said "Well, your full of it"....He wanted me to drink a gallon of Golightly (the stuff you drink before a Colonoscopy), I said with all due respect, if I am taking everything under the sun to try and go, why do you think the Golightly will work? He paused for a moment and then left the room, 10 min. later he came back and said that I should go home drink Mineral Oil and that should get things moving. I ended up in the hospital for (4) days with a fecal impaction and my bladder was distended and they had to put in a catheter. This was really becoming a nightmare. Now the General Surgeon who did the surgery was back in the picture and instead of believing that I had a fecal impaction, she made me drink the Golightly anyway and I was even more miserable and still no BM. She finally agreed on day (3) in the hospital to do an X-Ray and saw that the dye that the ER inserted never even moved an inch through my system and I was indeed impacted. HELLO...I was trying to tell her that (2) weeks ago. So I had to have another procedure which caused more pain, more swelling, back to square one, after I got out of the hospital, I had to have the catheter in for a week. I missed a month of work (unpaid) and even when I finally did return to work, it was hell. I was still in so much pain. Pain, Blood...with every one. Sometimes the blood was a lot and sometimes really a lot, it was never a good day, it always hurt. It was becoming too much to bare, the pain was/is never ending and I needed some help. I went to my family Doc. and asked her to please refer me to a colon/rectal surgeon, not just the General Surgeon. She did, and just last week Friday 5/16/08, he did an exam under anathesia due to the sensativity of the area still being so extreme. He said that from the original surgery I was about 80% healed, but that I was having some narrowing of the anus and he did an anal dilator to help. Let me tell you, I feel worse off now than I did before I went in for the exam. The anal spasms that I am having are off the charts. I am in so much more pain and I have missed this entire week of work (unpaid) and I am just hoping I will be able to go to work next week. I feel like I have taken 10 steps back and none forward. Not even a bath seems to help at this stage of the game. So, would I ever have had this haemorrhoidectomy had I known the pain involved? HELL NO!!!!!! My advice to anyone...ANYONE considering this surgery....do your homework, you must really have tried every other remedy. Don't just let your General Surgeon suggest this surgery and then go for it. Think long and hard. Who knows what your experience will be, I have read where people are up and going in no time, I have read posts like mine. I have been in constant pain for (4) months and I have never gone a day without bleeding. It is really starting to take its toll on me. I have been depressed about this lately and really can't imagine life as it was..........I really can't. Everyday for months has been hell, has been pain and blood and pain and blood, spasming and more pain. I want to be better so bad, but it is so hard to think that one day things will be normal again when it's been so long, I am getting a bit depressed over this. I have been crying a lot and feeling so miserable, but nothing seems to help. Pain meds only do so much, but I am not big on taking the narcotics, plus I am allergic to most. They have me taking valium to relax the muscle and using numbing creams, but seriously, nothing is helping, it's the same pain everyday. I take Tylenol as well.
I really feel for all of you that have had this surgery and are in pain, it is truly the worst pain ever! What works for some will not work for others, Warm Baths vs Hot Baths, Ice Packs vs Heating Pad, Pain Meds that work for you and don't constipate and make you sick. What we all share in common is the pain, frustration, desperation of this surgery. I wish you all the best and hope that your recovery is a fast one.

it sound like what i have been through. Pretty much everything! I ended up in the ER as well. I wanted to die for the 1st 2 months and after that was no picnic either. It is now 7 months since my surgery and I still have pain and spasms. Never mind being able to have a BM! It is so narrow that everything sorta sits there because it is so narrow. I think from this I may have internal hemmrhoids again. I will know in a few wks. Tell u what....I will NEVER do that surgery again. NEVER!!! Morphine and tylenol together did nothing to touch that pain!

I just had it done and boy is it bad! but I will be OK I think. I had hoped for for a Lazor procedure, for it was a small external one the only thing it bothered me it was making my wiping clean a bit difficult. I had no bleeding no swelling no discomfort.The doctor told me all right but it had to be done in the hospital since he also found I had two other internal ones. But he did not say it would not be done by Lazor. It was, I believe, done surgically; neither did he point out the very painful consequences resulting. So instead of a walk in the park I ended up with a trip in hell. I believe this gross negligent intended or unintended on the doctors part and the hospitals too for not being straight with their patients for not to let the cat out of the bag to make us aware of the very prolonged and painful backside excruciating experience.