Okay - Two weeks ago I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid appear. Oh my goodness, I thought I was going to pass out in the grocery line. I don't know where it came from but poof, there it was. I ended up in urgent care, they "lanced it". Well that didn't work, I was in more pain after than before. I ended up back with GP and he confirmed that it "re-thrombosed" - if there can be such an awful thing.

They sent me right over to general surgery. The surgeon took one look and said, yep, I will just remove the entire vein and hemorrhoid. I am much more aggressive than who you saw in urgent care. I was also told to just take the Thursday and Friday off of work. At this point I was still thinking "easy peasy" - I had not read these forums yet.

The procedure:
Besides taping my butt cheeks apart, and the lidocaine, it was painless. I was sent home with Vicodin and told to smear antibiotic cream on the area and take baths after each BM. But I could go back to work next week. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH- Joke was definitely on me.

Arriving at home:
I hadn't taken a pain med and all of a sudden the lidocaine wore off. I was seeing stars, I thought I was dying, or wished I was dead. I wished that I could have my entire colon removed and never have another bowel movement in my life.! The worst. Then 2 hours later, the marcaine wore off and I really thought I was having an out of body experience as the pain was over the top.
ADVICE: START PAIN REGIMEN AS SOON AS YOU LEAVE THE CLINIC. USE IBUPROFEN IN ADJUNCT AS IT REALLY HELPS WITH THE SWELLING. I took 1/2 percocet, three hours later 600 mg ibuprofen, three hours later another 1/2 percocet. Set your alarm and do it. You may need more of the heavy meds, but stay on top of the doses so you can somewhat control the pain.

Day 1-4: These days were all a blur, I was suffering from pain, bowel movements, drugs and FEAR. I did not sleep much and I thought that something had gone wrong in the surgery and that this type of pain was off the 1-10 charts. Ouch. Until I read this forum!
ADVICE: Lots of smoothies, soups, Colace and a Laxative. I made the mistake of taking two laxitives per day as I was too fearful of becoming constipated.  BM were quite horrific. Each one though becoming less horrific that the one before. Plan on at least 2.5 weeks off of work.

Day 5-6: A bit better, not really though but I was on top of the pain meds so that helped. Only lying on my side, in and out of hot sitz baths with sea salt. ADVICE: HOT BATHS ARE A GODSEND. ADD SEA SALT.

Day 7-12:
Quit the percocet on day 7, weaned myself off little by little on day 5 and six. It made me feel so crazy. I didn't need that on top of everything else. I still cry every day even though I think things are getting better. SLOW RECOVERY. Little by little. Two steps forward, one step back. Reading lots, few movies here and there, not lifting heavy things, praying to God that this will go away. Only taking 1 laxative now, at night with Colace. I almost want to stop taking my morning stool softener as I feel I need to start moving my bowel movements back to their regular consistency. But I am not sure? Any suggestions? Still sad every day, I feel defeated. There is still pain after BM. Odd pain, itchy pain, and almost feels like there something up inside me.
Very little blood with each bowel movement. A few drops.
ADVICE: Get a poop stool or stepping stool so you can have your legs in the correct position for having a bowel movement. I use use a little stepping stool, but this squatty potty seems great. http://squattypotty.com/

I will update as the recovery drags on. I do feel so much better from a week ago, but there is still the fear of having a bowel movement, pain after BM,  itchy bum, frequency to urinate a lot after a bowel movement, worried about work. Does or did anyone else have this? I keep counting my blessings as that is all I can do at this point. I can't go back. I wish everybody/anybody who has had this surgery the best in their healing. Sending healing to all of you!

Hi libertion! Just want to thank you for the post. I'm on my 8th day after the surgery and I'm going true the same symptoms as you. My story is a bit different. In the 1st week while taking strong pain killers I felt OK but for the last two days it seems to get more painful than ever, especially after the the BM, I just can't get the pain under control for several hours. Yesterday it was very itchy but today is just unbearable pain. Any suggestions? Thank you again

Buy Calmoseptine ointment. If you can't get that, buy Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Mix it with 20% benzocaine ointment for boils. These are over the counter, will not hurt you and will bring instant relief. I am just over 2 weeks out and I apply every time I think about it and especially after BM. I wipe with sensitive wipes (no aloe, nothing, bc it makes it worse), then apply the mixture liberaly. I am having no pain or itching at all, except when I forget my cream. Good luck.

Oh! Almost forgot. I apply a generous dollop of the straight benzo before pooping and it helps. Not a great deal, but some. I also take the laxative/stool softeners. I have backed down so I have only 1 BM a day, but keeping the poop like toothpaste is key. I put a positive surgery story up if you are interested.

I cannot believe you had to go back for surgery no 2. Good luck to anyone out there having this surgery. 2 weeks post op I swore I would NEVER go through this surgery again even though I think I am now in the home straight of recovery 17 days post op. I had 3 hemorrhoids removed after original banding did NOTHING other than cause a thrombosed hemorrhoid which was shocking. Had to go to a different surgeon for the surgery as the original blamed me for the banding not working and he was suggesting more banding and THEN surgery. No thanks! Very distressing. I refused to leave the hospital before my first BM. Glad that I stayed as I do not think anyone but the excellent nursing staff could have dealt with my anguish and intense pain. They knew exactly what painkillers to give me. Had my first BM 2nd day and I thought I died a little during it.... Have feared BMs ever since. Still bleeding a little with BMs now and am hoping this stops one day as I have dealt with bleeding hems for nearly 20 years and am REALLY over it. What I seem to have now acquired is the INSANE ITCHING I thought I didn't need any more painkillers but I am back on the the panadol for this. Also using olive oil directly on the site for RELIEF! Any ideas out there for the ITCH from hell? :?

Hi ElaineB where did you buy the flushable sensitive no aloe wipes I really need some Please reply as soon as possible
Thank you

I am where u are right now im 6 day after sugery and i count all my blessings it is very painful even to cough to hard and thank you for letting me know im not the only one that is feeling this bad