I had a hemorrhoidectomy a month ago. Painfull, yes. I am still having a lot of drainage, not blood but something esle. The Dr. just says to put gauze pads up there to absorb the fluid. What is the drainage and why does it continue, most of all when will it stop?

I am going into surgery next week 3/27/07 and I was hoping that you might be able to share your experience...I posted earlier today. Thank you very much.

John

PS...I believe some of the drainage is liquid from the intestine due to the fact that the opening to the anus is not fully healed. My doc told me this due to drainage I get due to a bad "seal" of this liquid due to the hemorrhoids. Hope that helps a litle. Get well soon.

did you ever figure out what the drainage was...having the same problem 16 days ago

For me, the drainage didn't stop 100% until exactly the 8 week mark. It gradually diminishes over time but it's a very long and frustrating process. I felt fine (pain wise) after the first 5-6 weeks, but it was the daily drainage that got old. I don't think you need to put gauze up there, just wear a sanitary pad. Towards the end I only wore a pad during the day at work and would come home, clean up and be fine the rest of the evening.

Myassisonfire,
What is the drainage supposed to look/feel like? Just yellowish discharge. Cause, it's been 5 weeks (as of today) for me and I get a little bit of drainage, but also some "skidmarks" on the pads (I do have to have pads there almost all the time)...it looks like a little fecal matter almost. It's yellowish/brownish with some brownish spots.

Is this normal?

Glad to hear you're doing good, btw. You've helped me a lot through the initial process of recovery - hats off!

Ya, I'd say from around the 4-5 week mark it's just trace amounts of yellowish drainage. Kinda looks like puss. It seemed to last forever and didn't really get any better until it stopped all together after 8 weeks. For me it was only the drainage at that point that was still lingering. I had no pain or other issues.

All you can do is continue to take at least one bath a day and keep the area clean. It will stop, but probably not for a few weeks if you're like me.

I know this post was from a year ago and I'm having the same issue I'm about to go on my 5th week post op and the drainage comes out more every time I have a bowel movement then eventually a little less and then again more after a bowel movement. I just lost hope in this and I don't see it improving at all, any related stories or aftermath would help I feel so discouraged in having this surgery