I'm new to posting on this board but have been reading posts for a little while now on this board. I am a 41 year old male that has dealt with Hs (hemorrhoids) for the past 9-10 years. They came about as a result of of major back surgery, in which I am 100% healed and a gall bladder removal one year later (2005-06). The use of pain meds and meds such as Cholestid have caused issues besides the fact that I am genetically predisposed to Hs. I am 1 week post op hemorrhoidectomy in which I had several internal and external Hs. No body sugar coated their explanation of surgery and the pain afterwards, however I am getting better each day except for the pain that I experience with bowel movements. I know everybody's experience is different but how long can I expect this excruciating pain? I use Miralax once a day and Metamucil 1 or 2 times a day. I drank mineral oil two nights this week but I don't like the leaking that results so I have stopped its use. I take Ibuprofen for pain in between using oxycodone or Hydrocodone when I really need it (after bowel movements for sure). Any tips or positive feedback?

I am at 4 and half weeks post-op. I did not have the pain that others experienced (I got lucky I guess since I was just uncomfortable some of the time thanks to the meds I was given but no pain at all for the most part) but maybe I can give you a few hints.

I keep my stool very soft by taking 2 Docusate Sodium gel caps daily, one in the morning and one at dinner time. I also was taking Lactulose twice a day until last week. I am now taking it at night with a full dose of Miralax.

I only had pain (level 2 at most) at the beginning of a bm. Breathing in ad out and trying to focus on something else helped. No straining allowed. Then, as ordered by my doctor, I hopped into a tub filled with about 6 inches of warm water. I usually sat there for about a half hour. 

As to meds, I was given Tramacet and told to take 1 or 2 every six hours. I quickly figured out that I would run out in a couple of days if I took 2 so I managed to stretch them out for a week. I was also told that I could take Ibuprofen every 8 hours for the first 3 days but no longer than that. That combo worked really well for me and I felt no pain at all. I made the mistake on day 4 to try to cut back on the Tramacet and got a little more sore so be sure to keep up on your meds and try not to cut back too early. After a week, I went on extra strength Tylenol for the next couple of weeks and after the 3rd week post-op, I was off all meds.

Another thing that worked really well for me were gel ice packs. I got little round ones that I kept rotating. Wrap them up so that the cold seeps through instead of being directly on your skin.

Aside from that, eating lots of soups and fiber rich foods, drinking lots of water, walking and not lifting anything heavy (although I forgot the other day and I got a bit sore for a few hours) seemed to really speed my recovery along. I think I am pretty well healed aside from some tenderness. I haven't had any bleeding or discharge for a week now so things are pretty good. 

I hope that something here helps.

Thanks for the response. Any advice helps.

Update on my own question. I had surgery on Jan 30, 2014. Bowel movements have been painful and my question was "when will the pain stop?" Well, on Feb 9, 2014 I finally had a movement wih no pain during the movement however had dull continuous pain for 4-5 hours afterwards. Today, Feb 10, 2015, I was able to have a movement with no pain once again but still had that continuous pain afterwards (dull, stabbing) for a good 3 hours afterwards. I have learned that you must continue to take in fiber and use Metamucil to soften stools however do not overdo the miralax and/or mineral oil. You do not want watery stools. You need your stools to have some bulk in order to keep your surgically repaired area dilated. Watery, non bulky stools will cause your rectum/anus to become stenotic and narrow. I want to forever forget the pain and difficulty that I had going to the bathroom. I was feeling that things would never get better. For those of you living the borrow right now... It does get better. Don't give up.

Oh my goodness you are very lucky... My pain scale was a 10.. I'm on my 4th day after surgery. I am a 4x breast cancer patient , I just hope I can ride in 5 days to my cancer doc. This is the worst surgery I have ever had! Advil does better than the Norcos... Thanks for your info! I hope I'm better soon!

I'm 5 days post hemorrhoidectomy.... Level 3_4 I'm in so much pain! I feel like I would rather go through child birth again. At least it's over after you push the baby out! Everyday I get to look forward to the immense pain a BM brings! The recovery three to four hours later are intense as well! I find soaking in a bath before a BM will soften the anal area, making it more comfortable. Soaking after is equally as important. In the morning and before bed soak as well. For icing the area I bought the hemmorwedge. There are two in a package. I got them off of Amazon for around $10-$12.... Super affordable! They fit in between your cheeks comfortably. A must for pain relieve! I go through several pads a day, due to blood seepage. I'm looking forward to that ending soon. I take a stool softener once a day... And eat sensibly. I am mentally and physically exhausted from this very painful experience. I hope I can return to normalcy before I lose my mind! NM

I also just wanted to add the importance of an amazing support system. My husband and kids have been wonderful. I couldn't go through this without them! My in laws and parents have been very helpful as well. A hemorrhoidectomy triggers a lot of emotions.... You need compassion and reassurance that it will get better. Someone to help you through this emotional rollercoaster!