Hello! It has been three months since my bunion surgery, but the thing is that my foot is still swollen and it hurts sometimes. I went to a shop yesterday to get new shoes but I couldn’t fit into my old size, I even tried bigger but the foot still hurts. Is there anything I could do? All replies are welcome!

Hi there! I had the similar problem after my bunion surgery. My foot was all swollen and red. I complained to my doc but she told me that was ok, and that it takes a few months for things to get in order. I continued with my physical therapy and things went to their place after a while. I hope everything turns out fine for you!

I'm about 5 weeks post-op. I just bought shoes today, in desperation. I bought men's sneakers in wide because my foot is still swollen too. The other foot is swimming in the shoe but I have pulled the velcro as tight as possible. I'm back to the doctor today for a followup. What hurts the most is the ankle on my other foot from hopping around on crutches. Otherwise, my foot is healing nicely. Good luck.

I'm 5 weeks post op from bunion surgery. My foot still has swelling and I'm in a surgical boot for 3 more weeks. My Dr. told me not to worry about doing range of motion exercises at this point and that the flexibility will come once I'm back walking in sneakers. My back is all messed up though from not walking correctly for so long and placing much of my weight on my right side so my left foot can heal. I don't see any posts about back pain following bunion surgery unfortunately but I'm hoping I can manage for the next 3 weeks with this surgical shoe that doesn't allow me to walk correctly. Seeing a chiropractor now.

Has your flexibility come back or at least started to? My ortho surgeon also said not to worry about loosing flexibility and that it would all come back once I started walking in shoes. I have heard to do physical therapy but he is actually not recommending it.

I am a 35 yr old women that works on her feet. I have been ask "why don't I change careers? As for my Podiatrist, he has suggested such a change, but understand the importance as I work with/for individuals which I find peace and happiness. I am anxious of the pain have being have been informed it is VERY, VERY painful the first 3-5 days. My question is what would be the items I could buy ( Wedge pillow, secret cushion for walking boot etc.) I will be up and moving the 2cnd day, but will still have to rest for hrs too.
I have a second question: What do I REALLY need to expect post op? I want to know painful truth. I want to purchase the items and things that may make recovery and staying comfortable as smooth as possible.
I hope you can understand the heightened concern as I don not want to the same experience as my mom.

Thank you!

I have had my bunion removed 5 months ago and im still in pain now i asked my doctor and he said it can take a few months to heal but im not convinced - surely it should be better by now :-(

I had a bunionectomy with oosteotomy on my left foot 4 weeks ago. Honestly the worst is the first couple of days when the swelling it at it's worst. After that it's just more inconvenient more than anything. Having to wear that unattractive shoe & limited mobility is what seems to take the longest. I drove after 2 weeks with a stick shift & had a little pain buy not unbearable. It's not nearly as bad as I thought! Good luck!

Hey all. I had a bunion removed on my left foot 8 days ago now.
The pain for the first few days was quite bad for me so I did take a regular course of painkillers but after those few days I stopped taking them so often. I only have to take them usually an hour before I go to bed. This is only because it can be quite uncomfortable sleeping. I'm still wearing my shoe which is actually quite use full considering I have a pot on for 3 weeks. I have been trying to put weight on my heel which was suggested by my physiotherapist but it can get quite painful after walking a little on it. I am still using both my crutches but am trying to just use one more often. Any time I am not mobile I try to raise my foot. My swelling is almost 100% gone and now I just have slight bruising. I have also been taking homeopathic medicines Arnica and Ruta Grav to be more precise which I think has aided in reducing my swelling and pain. Would like to know how soon everyone was putting weight on their heels or even walking because I am worried I am not using my foot as much as I should be. I am able to move my toes slightly, even my big toe.. to my surprise, but I think the only thing stopping me is the pot lol.

I'm 3 weeks post op for bunion and hammertoe. I had absolutely mo pain as my doctor uses a pain pump which was bandaged onto my calf. It pumped meds to the surgical site for the 1st couple days. I am having problems with swelling of the foot and need to hop in the recliner and put it up from time to time. I think I'll get to lose the boot this Friday when I go for my 1 month appt. I was concerned about my lack of motion in the big toe, but he assured me it will return.

Hi all,

I am thinking about having the tailor's bunion surgery.  I need it done on both feet and I am wondering about the recovery time.  I have a 3 year old and with summer coming up I want to be able to go on walks with him to the park, swim and play with him.  I know I will have help and will be able to rest as needed, but how long is the recovery really.  Will I be able to enjoy my summer with my son.  I am hoping that I can do the surgery sooner, rather than later.  I am just a little nervous about it.

It has been three months for me and still in pain!

Danila, you posted over a year ago. You're probably fine by now. I am at week 6 post op, and my foot is swollen and reddish (probably due to some swelling). It's less swollen than in the beginning.

Kathleen Its been close to 5 months for me since bunion surgery and I still have pain,swelling and stiffness.It hurts more than the bunion on other foot.At three months at toe joint was all swollen and red Dr thought it might be the pin that was put in place to hold bone.Had that removed and still did'nt help.He originally told it would be 6 weeks before it would heal.WRONG,well now he says that it could take 6 months to a year for it to heal.

Mine was also swollen for 4 or 5 months at times. I could not buy any shoes that worked out well. I am at 11 1/2 months, still very poor joint flexibility. I get pain from being on my feet for more than a couple hours, so can't get used to that. I can't work.