My father had gallbladder surgery one week ago. Everything was ok, but what now? I want to know what is the best care for post-op gallbladder. Are there some things that he should not do? Thanx

When it comes to food, your father can eat a regular diet including without any restrictions after surgery. Of course this will be limited by other illnesses he may have, like diabetes, heart disease and hypertension. Nausea and vomiting from anesthesia are common for 24 hours. Your father can do whatever he is comfortable doing once he is discharged. However, he can't over exert himself and lift more than 15-20 pounds. Because of anesthesia, his thought processes may take 24 to 48 hours to return to normal. It is normal to have pain after the operation. It is important to know that how much pain he experiences depends more on the individual than on the operation itself. Pain usually occurs in the abdomen, especially the right side and right flank. Because of the gas used to expand abdomen shoulder pain usually occurs for 24 to 48 hours. The incisions are covered with Band-Aids or gauze pads and it is normal for them to become saturated with blood during the first 24 hours. Don't be alarmed with this, simply change the Band-Aids or bandages as needed. He can take a shower 24 to 36 hours after surgery. Be sure that the incisions are dry after the shower, and then replace the Band-Aids or bandages.

I just had surgery done, a week now. I stink from the dried blood under the bandaids. There is one bandaid that still has blood thru it in the naval, I'm to see my sergeon next week, do I have to wait for him to take these bandaids off, as I've changed the gauze that covers them, with no blood.

Health Advisor
I also had dried blood stuck under the bandaids. I didn’t want to touch anything on my own. My husband helped me clean the blood that was visible but I let my doctor do the rest.
That was the only surgery I have ever had. I hated the way I felt after it. That awful pain. I hope all of you feel fine now.

I still feel sick to my stomach, and pain on the rigthandside. When i do eat, it hurts for about two hours, is this normal, will this go away soon. I've been operated now for ten days, still lots of gas. I did manage to take the bandaids off, and shower.

Health Advisor
Well, what you are experiencing are common post cholecystectomy symptoms. The funniest thing is that these symptoms are not related to the surgery at all, their cause is not known.

Is it the same kind of pain you felt before the surgery? Sometimes, it happens that it was not the gallstones that were causing the pre-op discomfort but something else. And that this something else is giving you troubles again. It could be more stones that had formed in the bile ducts or that parts of stones were left in the bile ducts during the surgery. They may become larger.

Have you heard of the post-cholecystectomy syndrome?

No I did not hear of post-cholecystectomy syndrome. I am to see my family doctor next week, and will mention the feelings, I may have to see a gastroligist now. I feel weel one day an the next not too well. My surgeon says for me to start doing things around the house (except lifting), I don't have the energy now to do these things. How long does one need to heal from the operation of the removal of the gallbladder, which they took all out, so no more stones will come back.

Health Advisor
Did u have an open or laparoscopic surgery? I had laparoscopic and later I heard that there is more risk of damaging the bile ducts like this because it is more difficult to "see" the bile duct. But they told me that the recovery is much quicker with laparoscopic.

Everything went well and two weeks after I started moving around the house, doing things I usually do.

I had laparoscopic surgery, I have hard time to eat, when I do, it hurts and irriates my missing gallbladder. I hope this end soon. People told me it takes up to 4-6 weeks to total recover, I'm only in to 10 days, and it seems like an eternaity. My stomach where they put the laparoscope (navel) below is all black and blue still.

I'm currently under going scans to check out the symptoms I've had since having my gall bladder removed. I had an ultra sound yesterday and am now booked in for an MRI as the ultra sound, whilst showing inflammation of the bile duct, didn't show anything conclusive. It looks likely that I still have some stones that are either passing now (chronic pain resulting in morphine being administered at home by an emergnecy doctor) or may be interfering with liver function (blood results show some abnormalities with liver function)

I just wanted to say that if you feel like you're still getting symptoms post op - you could well have stones which were left behind OR they may have reformed (this is possible if you don't change your diet to a low fat one) I've felt like a complete fraud for weeks now saying "this feels like my gall stones" and people saying, it cant be you've had it removed etc It's a real relief to finally have a consultant say "actually it could all be linked" Just thought this may help someone!

your supposed to take bandages off next day

I had my gall bladder removed on Friday at 8:00 a.m. I was home by 12:30 the same day and ate chicken noodle soup and frosty when I got home. I have not had any problem whatsoever except for pain in my belly button. I took vicatin for two days and then took tylenol for one day. This is Monday and I just received a call from the hospital and they sounded very surprised I felt this good. This has been a very good experience for me because I thought I was going to die when I had attacks. I ate lasagne last night and was a little wary, but it was wonderful and had absolutely no problems. My surgery only lasted less than 30 minutes. It is my guess I have had a gall bladder that wasn't functioning for a long time. I was scared to death and everything is just fine in such a short period of time. My experience has been good. I was scared to be put to sleep and that even turned out good. Good Luck.

my husband just had laser gall bladder surgery, and is in excruitiating pain but not in his stomach, it's in the rest of his body ie:back legs, neck. Nothing takes the pain away. He thinks he has a slipped disc in his back. I don't know how to help him. The only thing that makes him feel somewhat better is to stand, which he can only do for so long before becoming tired. Help, any suggestions would be wonderful.

I had my gallbladder removed 10 days ago laparoscopic ally. Before that I had visited this site in a nervous frenzy to try to find out what it would be like. After reading a few posts on this site, I feel I was made more nervous than I ought to have been. Here's my story:

I am 23 years old. I started having symptoms about 3 months ago. My symptoms basically were attacks of pain at night. I felt the pain in the middle of my upper abdomen and sometimes in the bottom of my shoulder. At first I thought it was heartburn or indigestion but taking Tums or Pepto-Bismol didn’t help. The attacks started happening more frequently and more severe and no matter what I did it would last for hours. I ended up sleeping in a chair a few times to "make it go away". I finally had had enough and sought out my doctor who sent me for a sonogram. The results of my sonogram showed I had a 3 centimeter gallstone. I was sent for a surgical consult and after getting a 2nd opinion I decided to have the operation done.

After surgery when I got home, for the first few days all I did was sleep. I occasionally ate. Some days I ate more than others. Some days I experienced pain after I ate something. Some days I had no appetite at all. On two days I threw up. But all in all I toughed it out and I'm feeling more like myself again.

Here are a few tips that took me a while to figure out:
1. Eat a low fat diet. Even though the doctor says you can return to eating whatever you want if you think about it logically you no longer store what breaks down the fat that you eat.
2. Stay away from gas producing foods such as applesauce and cranberry juice. It causes more discomfort and pain.
3. Coughing, laughing, crying, sneezing and burping will all hurt at first; it helped for me to hold a pillow or my hands firmly against my stomach.
4. Most importantly everyone heals differently so take this website more as an idea of what can happen.
5. Make sure when they discharge you from the hospital you get painkillers, I had an issue with this but made it through.

Good luck & Good Health

Had gallbladder surgey on Dec.22/06.. still feeling a little nausea and
headache... (no vomiting)

One day not too bad, the next day... not good... Am I still recovering???
I also have a bit of shortness of breath???

Has anyone else had these problems???