I'm due to have a sphincterotomy next week. I already have so much pain passing BMs due to a chronic anal fissure (>1 year). The surgery really scares me. What if it is worse afer? I have been on diltiazem ointment for about 3 weeks. I have noticed some improvements, I don't have to have a bath after every BM. The meds have stoped the spasming and most of the bleeding. I have 2 large skin tags, which mat also be removed during surgery. I have a BM once a day and they aren't hard. I have never been constipated. I had a lot of suppositories for pain after a c-section delivery which may have casued. I had hemmorhois during pregnancy but not now. I'm so scared, I thinking of cancelling the surgery. I lead a very active lifestyle and I don't want ongoing post-op pain to get in the way of that. What shoudl I do.

what is the cost of a Sphincterotolmy? i have been considering surgery after 8 months with an anal fissure and torture after i have a BM

hi. i just had a sphincterotomy after dealing with anal fissures - let me tell you- the best decision i ever made. i had post op moderate pain the first day and after that- not much. if you think the post op pain will be WORSE than the popping glass shards after a BM- you might want to think again. There is a high success rate and it is the end of the nightmare.

It has been six days since I had a sphincterotomy. I cannot believe how good I feel! The post-surgery pain is much preferable to the pain caused by the fissure. I took percocet for two days after the operation but by day three, I was just using regular Advil. The first bowel movement I had after the surgery was painful but it only lasted as long as the bowel movement itself, none of the après-toilet agony I was used to. Yesterday I went to the toilet pain-free for the first time in seven months. The joy!! I wish I had had the surgery months ago rather than the time I spent in extreme pain while trying non-surgical treatments. Anyone facing the prospect of this surgery should not be afraid!

6 days after my fissure surgery and the pain is aweful!!!!!!!!!!!! Some people write how great they feel, I'm in constant pain... What gives.

It is day 4 after my surgery. And I am in agony!moving is torture bm is excrusiating. I'm hoping it ends soon.

This is day 4 after surgery and I feel GREAT!!!!!!!!! Have had a BM and it's NOTHING compared to before surgery!!! DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had anal fissure surgery (spincterotomy) on 4/8/11.  On 4/17/11, I feel just a tad better.  Constant pain and bleeding and when i apply the ointment, it feels as though there is a lot of swelling,lumps and bumps on the outside.  I do 3 sitz baths a day,take 2 percocet and advil every 4 hour, it's horrible and that doesn't even count the BM pain of excruciating pain, burning, screaming and balling like a baby.  Any insight?

im having a sphincterotomy next week im scared! ive heard different outcomes so really i think it depends on the person and their tolerance to pain and how their body reacts i thought about cancelling as well but ive been suffering for almost a year with this and it's time to get my life back because an anal fissure is no joke! i hope it goes smoothly

Hey guys new to this but just want to say I'm 22 and had the sphinterotomy surgery just 3 days ago and still now I feel like c**p. The pain is so bad I've been taking the Meds the dr prescribed they work for a few than wear off. I had my first BM the day of surgery when I got home o and was it bad. I haven't had another BM but I haven't been eating either. Ive noticed that its hard to urinate because the pain is so bad. I can barely walk and I still feel so sore. What should I do?

Hi everyone I come on to have a read of the forum because I had op 5 weeks ago, last 3 days I have been bleeding AGAIN!!!!, my pain after op was good but I was able to compare it to the pain which I had from a hemroid op which I had in November, now that was the worst pain I have ever had. I seemed to get the fissures after that op because I became so constipated, which I still don't understand why that happened as I was watching what I was eating and drinking what the doc told me too. I am just so over all this, doctor told me bleeding would stop by week 6 its now week 5 and it seems worse. I go back to see the doctor in April, I wonder what op he will tell me I have to have next. Good luck everyone I hope your all feeling somewhat better.