After a lot of thinking I decided to undergo a bunion surgery. In the end, I had to make that decision because I was in a lot of pain. I think I found a good surgeon. Atleast he looked confident and as if he knew what he was talking about, so this calmed me down and made less anxious. I am interested in how long can the recovery last. Thank you

It’s been 6 months after my surgery and I can say I finally feel well. I still experience some swelling and pain if I walk long but I expect that to subside as well. However, the beginning of the recovery wasn’t as marry.
I was about to rest a lot and I am quite a restless person. I kept legs elevated and put ice on them to reduce the swelling. I was using crutches while walking and it still hurt. A month after the surgery I started therapy. The physical therapies was excellent but it still hurt and swelled when I walked. Months went by and the pain slowly subsided. I expect it to be over in a couple of months’ time. Good luck with your surgery!

HAD A BUNIONECTOMY AND HAD MY HAMMER TOE REPAIR THREE WEEKS AGO. IT WASN'T PAINFUL BUT THE RECOVERY TIME IS LONGER THAN I THOUGHT. WENT BACK TO WORK BUT MY FOOT IS STILL SWOLLEN AND I PUT IT UP AFTER I GET HOME FROM WORK. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THIS WAS NORMAL AND I PROBABLY WOULD BE WEARING MY SURGICAL SHOE FOR A LEAST A MONTH. BUT OTHERWISE FOR ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH BUNIONS AND ARE UNSURE OF THE SURGERY; IT'S NOT THAT BAD EXCEPT THE "BEING OFF YOUR FEET" RECOVERY PERIOD. I AM NOT A "SITTER" SO IT KIND OF DROVE ME CRAZY.

I just had medium to serious bunion surgery (metatarsal osteotomy) July 25th and I am quite pleased with my recovery so far. Even though it was just done a few days ago, I haven't received any real pain. Very little, I was wondering if the procedure my doctor said she was going to perform was actually done!
I saw my foot yesterday, ( I am very squeamish)and I saw my foot. I do have a long cut from the middle of my metatarsal to above my big toe. It is all stitched up but not as horrible looking as I expected. I will have a scar but hopefully not too pronounced. If it is only a white line Im fine with that.
Back to pain, I took four of the codine pills over a period of three days, two of them I probably didnt really need.. My doctor said I was through the worst by now. She said everything looked fine. Recovery will be at least 6 weeks
to three months before I am back to regular unswollen feet. Swelling, recovery time , procedures, doctors all decide on true healing. After 4 to six weeks I should be wearing larger then normal shoes till swelling stays down.

It has now been exactly 3 weeks after bunion surgery and I feel great. I went in for a check up and they said I can now wash my foot and start bending my big toe. :-) I was trying to limp on my foot a little more the last week or so and, without all the gauze bandages and ace bandage , I can actually walk practically normal. My toes were raised higher then my big toe in the bandages and were about two inches of the floor. All the wrapping separated them from my big toe so my big toe stayed in proper stiff alignment while healing. I was kinda walking on the outer edge of my foot.So now my other toes have to start laying flatter and start "grabbing" the floor. All in all, minimal discomfort. Barely used any of my pain pills except on the third though 6th days. I really probably didnt need it then either. I took it expecting the worse. When I tried to deal with the pain without help I felt only sparatic quick shouting pain or muscle spasms. It felt like someone took my foot and squeezed it tight then let go. Pain scale 0 to 10, I would say maybe a 2 or 3.

i had bunion surgery (left foot) 3 1/2 weeks ago and it wasn't as bad as i had thought (initially wanted to do both feet but Dr said i would be bed ridden for at least one month!!!). i was able to get rid of my crutches by the fourth day. i think the worst part was being couped up at home for 2 weeks !!! was able to go out for a short period of time during the 2nd week. foot still gets swollen sometimes but duration is much shorter and can almost walk w/o a limp ~ but still stuck wearing my Birkenstock sandals - none of my regular shoes fit (except flip-flops - can't wear those to work!!). am quite pleased w/ the result & my recovery. the 2 scars aren't bad but the longer one on the side of my foot seems to be healing much slower. will probably get my other foot done next spring.

Wendy

I had Bunion and Hammertoe surgery (right toe) on Aug.22,2007.
The Dr. put 2 screws in the big toe and a pin in the hammertoe. I was in a splint for 2 weeks, a 1st cast for 2 wks and then a final cast for 4 weeks. I am now using a walking soft shoe with velcro closures. My toes are straight and I don't have pain any longer. The foot and toes are still swollen and slightly discolored, especially when my foot is down. The dr. said that it would take about 3 months to fully heal. I believe that having the right Orthopedic surgeon makes the difference. I asked others who have had surgery by my dr. and got good feedback. I would do it again.

I had one bunion done 10 days ago. I had it done under local - it was not unpleasant (I got a mild sedative pill in advance s well, and wore headphones!), and I have had practically no pain with it, thuogh I took the painkillers the day after in case. I stopped using crutches less than 48 hours after, for the short household journeys. It has had a redressing and sems to be healing nicely. The only thing that bothers me is a sensation across the top of the first big toe joint , and the others too, of a constriction - feels like a piece of wire crossing, or wood - sometimes seems worse than others, but it's always there. have other people noticed that? I had an Xray with the check up but didn't see the consultant again afterwards, so don't know whether the pins were fine - the small screws(2) looked OK but the long pin did look slanted. It doesn't really hurt though - just uncomfortable, and I wonder if it's OK. I hope so because next Thursday I am having the other foot done. I am a rock climber and generally quite fit and I think this must help for a foot operation. I am 50 though!

How cool to find this page with other bunion surgery patients testimonials!
I'm now 2.5 weeks past surgery. Honestly, pain has been minimal, just hot sparks from time to time. On a 0-10 scale, I rate my pain 1.5. Also the middle of my foot cramps sometimes because I've been walking around a little bit and I've been placing all my weight on my heel and the side of my foot to protect my big toe.

My doctor wants me to stay off my feet for a full 3 weeks...this has been torture, and I like I mentioned, I've actually been liming around a bit without my crutches. I go stir crazy if I'm not up moving around for long periods of time. I just can't wait until I can wear a shoe again and get back to walking and jogging. I think the smartest thing I did was waiting until winter time to do this because if it was spring or summer, this situation would be all the more unbearable.

i just found this board while i was searching for bunion surgery.

i can't believe that i am saying this but..i think i have a bunion.

i am not sure but..the location seems to be the telltale sign..i suppose.

i am only 22 and i had assumed it was a corn..or something. my mother always warned me not to wear painful shoes or a corn might develop. i really don't understand why this has happened because i do not put pressure on my toes, i usually wear my favourite pair of mary janes (flat, no heel) and i have seen this small bump starting since i've been wearing these shoes. the shoes have never been painful which is why i like them so much and wear them almost everyday (the wear has made them become pretty wide). the bump is not painful but i am afraid it will get worse which is why i think i should act now. the bad thing is that i have been unemployed for awhile and i don't have insurance right now (not sure if insurance would cover this) so i don't think i should have surgery done right when i find a new job.

one other thing is that i tend to walk a lot (maybe a mile or two a day) and i'm worried that this will worsen the bump. i know that people might say that if it is not causing pain i should not have it removed, but i strongly believe in nipping things in the bud, and prevention..

if anyone has any suggestions, i would greatly appreciate it.

I am now 12 days post bunion. Like others on this site I have found it extremely painful , frustrating due to immobility and high in anxiety.
I am worried that this will never return to normal and I wish I had just put up with the bunion.
Sitting with the foot up is all very well - I can cope with that - but the pain and stiffness is almost unbearable - the painkillers hardly touch the edge of it.
I have the wound check next week and I am not looking forward to it - the skin feels sore and raw underneath the bandages. Did anyone else feel like this? Many people give good reports - I read all the bad ones and think there are just as many !!
I can't see myself back at work in the next 4 weeks unless miracles do happen!!!!!!! AM I just being a pessimist? Did you feel like this and was pleasantly surprised? or I am just being impatient (as the husband suggests). Thanks to anyone who replies.
To the young girl who thinks she has buniions I would say - wear sensible shoes - look after your feet and avoid the bunion op until absolutely necessary.

Hi Folks,
I had bunion surgery on my right foot 4 days ago (Lapidus/McBride), I will need to be non weight bearing for 6 to 8 weeks. I have a roll-about I can put my knee on, and it already comes in handy, or shall I say, footy.

As far as pain, I have had practically none after the surgery. The only weird snesation I had the second day was a brief "burning" on my heel. The Dr. explained to me that it had something to do with the ankle blocker. I heeded the Doctor'sl advice and took Vicodin every 6 hours for the first 72 hrs after surgery.Then I switched to 400mg Ibuprofen instead, and reduced that to 200mg this morning. I also iced my foot during the first 48 hours and about thrice a day since.The key is, I did not wait for the onset of pain!
I am planning to gradually reduce the pain medication and extend the intervals in between gradually for the next few days.
I had my first post op today, and everything looks good.
Hope, this helps somebody!

Hello to all!
I am 39 and have had bunions on both feet since I can remember. They have been painful but as a single mother of 3 children I never can seem to find time for surgery. I took my 15 year old in last year for an ingrown toenail and his doctor saw my feet and gave me a full consult right there!
It took me a full year to actually think about it and a dozen more times pulling the car over because the pain in my right foot was so bad.
I am going in for surgery on August 1st and am scared to death. I have never undergone any kind of surgery and am terrified I will not be able to deal with the pain. After reading your blogs it helps, seems you have all had great luck and little pain. I took the month of August off work and wonder if this will be enough, yet as a single mom I can't afford to take anymore"( I am glad to hear you all did so well! Wish me luck.

LOLITA-DOLL- I'm no doctor but it does sound like you may have a bunion forming. I'm 33 and have had a bunion since the age of 22 due to having ill-fitting tennis shoes as a student and being too poor to replace them. I never thought anything like that would happen so I was horrified to see a bunion form. Its not big or noticeable but its there. I very rarely wear heels so I think that helps a lot- I am always in flatties as I do a lot of walking. The past 11 years I don't think there has been significant change. Every now and again it throbs a little but its not prohibitive. I would suggest you wear wide fitting shoes and be careful of what style of shoes you buy. Make sure that there are no seams around the bunion area as they may begin to rub after a few wears even though they may have been fine in the store. From what I have read here I wouldn't contemplate surgery until absolutely necessary- ie when you are in a lot of pain.

Guest Posted: 07/26/08 - 11:06 Post subject: bunion surgery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello to all!

Guest Posted: 07/21/08 - 18:48 Post subject: post bunion pain and anxiety

Hi Folks,

Hope, this helps somebody!

Guest Posted: 07/17/08 - 09:31 Post subject: post bunion pain and anxiety