Hello, I am 47 years old and I need to know about the possibility of the connection between heredity and depressive disorders. Is there any? My mother is 71 years old and has been suffering from depression ever since she has entered her menopause, which was years ago. Should I be cautious?

Well, depression disorders do include hereditary component in its etiology, but it is not the most important factor. So, there is a chance that you might get the same disorder, but that is not definite. And even if you do, there are many meds today that will help you deal effectively with that condition. Your mother has been dealing with it for a long time, right?

Hi Sarajane,

According to Positive Psychologist (Martin E.P Seligman Ph.D) roughly 50 percent of almost every personality trait turns out to be attributed to genetic inheritance. Having said that, these traits can be changeable - especially traits such as pessimism and fearfulness. It is my understanding that you will not necessarily inherit a depressive disorder; however, staying aware and concious of your thoughts and feelings is a good idea.

Wishing you all the best,
Cassie
Happy Life Space