I am 19 and was just put on adderall by my doctor. First dose was today. Both him and my psychiatrist suggested either this or stratera. I have had both anorexia and from summer-present, bulimia nervosa. Also suffering from post traumatic stress (rape) from last year. Anxiety and slight depression are somewhat of a factor, but ADHD has been the main problem. I am wondering if anybody is in the same boat? Can the Adderall help control the eating impulsivity? Also, is anybody on combinations (anti-dep and ADHD meds)? Any suggestions of info would be much appreciated.

I am currently on adderall XR and my situation is very similar to the one you described. I have suffered from an eating disorder for 8yrs (mostly bulimia) and have suffered from depression for about the same time. I had been placed on many anti-depressant drugs and the doctors always said that once they could get my depression under control the eating disorder would go away also. After many different drugs, nothing worked and after disscussing with my doctor symptoms I had of adult add/adhd she placed me on adderall. It has been the best thing that ever happened to me! It allows me to focus on other things besides binge/purge and because it does curb your appetite it allowed me to think of other things than food for the first time in a long while! I do think the best cure for eating disorders/depression is figuring out why and where it came from (talking to a pshycologist/psychiatrist), but while working out those issues adderall saved my life!

I've heard [and read in the pamphlet] that anyone with an eating disorder should not take Adderall. other than probably COE. Most likely because it does suppress appetite and eating disordered people might be more likely to abuse it. I've had anorexia for about 4 years and I just don't mention it to my psychiatrist.
I'm not on anti-depressants but I am on Lamictal [for bipolar] and both medications are working fine...

I've been able to lose a significant amount of weight since I have been taking Adderall for ADD. It isn't just that it reduces your appetite. I find it has made me feel so much better about myself that I no longer eat to feel good, and I'm less stressed out, so goodbye stress-eating, and I find so many activities enjoyable now that I can focus on them that food-as-entertainment has kind of taken a back seat to these other pursuits. But the most surprising thing is that I feel that I can choose not to eat even when I do feel hungry, for example, if I know I'll be eating a big meal later, or I just want to continue losing weight. Maybe it's because I don't feel so emotionally dependent on food or maybe it's because I feel more in control of myself.

If you have ADD/ADHD then you already know how we beat ourselves up and punish ourselves, and this leads to depression and low self-esteem. Once you start to experience what it's like to have a brain that actually works the way it's supposed to, all that changes and you start to feel really empowered and able to make choices you never felt were possible before.

Hey, I suffered from a severe case of bulimia for 15 years. It totally controlled my life. My esophagus constantly hurt and my teeth were in horrible shape. I was so depressed. I saw shrinks on a weekly basis. I took Paxil and it helped a bit. I was diagnosed with ADD (I had it all my life) and prescribed Adderall. I have a life now!!! I have totally quit binging & purging. The thought of it is disgusting to me. I truly believe that the bulimia would have killed me. I am very productive at work. I can focus and work quickly instead of being in a constant fog trying to plan my next binge & purge session. I have been taking Adderall for about 8 years. I guess in all I have lost 3 pounds or so. I no longer fear my esophagus is going to rupture and when I go to the dentist I don't have tons of cavities! There are so many people that have a negative attitude towards Adderall. I am sure they have not been in such situations as I described earlier.

First of all, I was put on adderall and it actually is what CAUSED me to have an eating disorder. It changed my life, and not for the better like all you thiink it has. I did think it was better at the time of course, i had lost a lot of weight, it was easy to not eat, the more i took the more i lost. Now that I'm better I see how much it messed up my life and i'm still working at trying to accept my body. It hard. But you people who think adderall is good because you finally dont have to throw up anymore to get thin because now, with adderall, you can actually CONTROL yourselves when eating, YOUR CRAZY! I reccomend you get serious help because anorexia has the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric disorder! Get off adderall, get help, and recover.

I have also suffered from both anorexia and bulimia nervosa, and one thing I can say is that being on Adderall XR has helped me so much to focus on other things than just food. I can focus in school, at home, and especially with my 22 month old daughter, who is my world. However I have also lost weight in a short amount of time, which is a common side effect of the Adderall XR. Being as both my mother and doctor know my circumstances, I now have to come in once a month to the doctor's office to be weighed. This DOESN'T help in my recovery, because then I feel like I'm doing something wrong, that I don't deserve to be on the Adderall XR because of as side effect that, if under different circumstances than my own, wouldn't be such a problem. I thought I was more than just a number, that everyone could see that the Adderall XR does in fact help my concentration 100%. It shows in my school work, at home, at work...yet everyone only sees it as my way of not eating.

I had bulexia (anorexia with incidents of binge/purge) for 5 years and ended up in an inpatient facility at 19. My treatment there saved my life. They used a number of antidepressant drugs, but the main treatment method was therapy. I never did find a drug that helped me, and drugs were seen only as temporary to use until your treatment could fix the problem. Every girl in there would have loved to be put on adderal and it was absolutely out of the question. To put someone with severe body image problems on a drug that causes dramatic weight loss is extremely risky, no matter the concentration problems the woman may have. Likewise, turning a food addiction into a drug addiction is not a cure, it is a replacement.

I have a good friend that I have had to distance myself from greatly. She has been on adderal for 4 months and lost 40 pounds. She is obsessed with her weight. She reminds me so much of my dark days of anorexia, when the scale and the mirror controlled my life. I was empty in every way.

When I agreed to drop out of school and enter therapy it was because my eating disorder was so bad I either wanted to die or change. Now I have a full life! Filled with all the pleasures of life: food, love, friends, passion… there is no alternative for me! Please take a good look in the mirror, and decide if adderal is the miracle drug many of you are making it out to be. Every situation is different, but some of these posts are very alarming to me.

Best of luck.

I am a 21-year-old female. I have been bulimic for over a year, and before that I would consider myself to have been EDNOS (COE, fasting/restricting, no purging) for about 8 years. Bulimia really consumes my life.
I struggle every day trying to find myself and my meaning to live when all I can think about is my weight. I hate myself and who I am. I'm not skinny (5'7, 142 lbs) , I binge/purge 3-10 times a day, and when I'm not spending money on binge food, I'm buying drugs that will help me escape my own mind or my desire to b/p. I know my way of thinking is incredibly skewed. Sometimes my resting heart rate is 130 bpm and I get uncontrollable muscle spasms. My heart palpitates and I get dizzy frequently. It makes no difference to me because my thighs jiggle. I'm afraid to tell a doctor about my ED because I don't believe I'm thin enough to legitimately have one.
That being said, Adderall is the best thing that I've ever tried.

Yes, it helps me to not eat. That's the biggest bonus, I admit. But, it also makes me focused, in a much lighter mood, socially very pleasant, and motivated to be productive. I feel much less depressed, more confident, energetic, and I spend so much more time thinking about how to improve my day rather than just bashing myself for being fat/lazy/unattractive/etc.
Also, on Adderall I have no desire to do other uppers. Just this methamphetamine salt is enough to help me feel "up." I don't feel the need to do cocaine or other drugs. In fact, I'd prefer not to. I'm fine all day just on 20 ml.

I do not have insurance, so I must resort to the charity of my friends who have prescriptions. Yes, this is illegal, but it is nowhere near as dangerous for me to take Adderall as it is to continue my behavior that it so strongly helps me avoid. Also, since my mood is elevated, I am more inclined to exercise, and I actually do eat healthy foods when I'm on it. It does not make me starve myself since I don't feel the need to starve myself just to avoid a binge. I can eat a small nutritious meal, move on with my day, and lose weight in a much healthier way.

I will be admitted back on my mother's insurance plan this July. Is there a way I could be prescribed this, or would doctors consider me to be just a drug-seeker? Should I be denied this drug? I feel that Adderall puts me to a normal human mindset, just like it does for most people with ADHD. Should I not mention my ED when trying to be prescribed? My mental health is much more important to me than my physical health.

Hi, I read about your situation and I can relate a lot. I'm 27 and have been suffering with an eating disorder for 17 years. First it was anorexia and that turned into bulimia. I've been b/p for several years and it has consumed my whole life. I also used street drugs(uppers) to try and treat my bulimia but they ruined my life. I know I cant be on drugs forever b/c of my bulimia. I've been to several rehabs, pshychiatrist, and conslers. I've also tried so many meds I cant count to treat my bulimia and NOTHING worked or even helped. I discovered adderall and it stopped my b/p so I went to the doctor and got a prescription and since I've been on it I haven't engaged in my eating disorder. If it really helps you with your bulimia then see a doctor and tell him you have adhd and want to get back on adderall even though you've never been prescribed it but it seems to me that your taking it not to eat and to lose weight and you do not need to lose any weight. Your size is perfect, I'm the same height and weight as you( 5'7, 135 lbs). I'm worried that it will cause you to be anorexic. I dont know why you think you're overweight but just try to be careful not to starve yourself. If you ever want or need to talk about anything you can write me. I've been through a lot and totally understand what you're going through

I am in the exact same situation as you-I am on a combo of anti-depressants and Ritalin. Adderall and ritalin both control the urge to binge-they are a godsend to those who suffer from bulimia but are easily abused when one discovers the appetite suppressing properties of these drugs.

Damn I am sorry no joke. I have had an eating disorder since a little after I turned 9 years old and now I am 18, I honestly never thought I would make it to this point you know? But the whole time I've been 100% ana except for the select rare times when there is a family dinner or such and I automatically HAVE to purge some how some way. But I am already on adderall and have been since last July and it is legit a damn god sent no joke! Since then I've lost about 60 lbs! Gah it's amazing. Pluuuuus it tends to make you super duper hyper and that reeeeeeally helps when it comes to exercise it is jus all around the miracle pill those with adhd eating disorders! I am in NOOOOOOO way promoting eating disorders or anything because I WISH TO GOD I could go back to my 9 year old self andfind some way, any way possible to have allowed myself to love myself instead of the pure unadulterated HATRED I feel jus by looking into the mirror. It's NO way to live. But, I love my disease without it I am nothing this is by far the most effed up, distorted, turbulent, almost bipolar situation. however No one else understands that logic unless they themselves have experienced it. Please jus be careful okay? That's all I ask. Other than that if you EVERRRRR have any questions or concerns or jus need someone I'm here.

I'm not sure if you still check this post but I will reply with my response anyway. I have been hospitalized as well as put in adolescent lockdown faculties for substance abuse, PTSD, anorexia as well as depression. I have been on many many anti depressants but nothing helped. I also suffer from OCD. After many hospitalization as well as stays in treatment nothing helped me. But know I am also a very defiant teen. I have suffered through a lot in my life. I have ridiculously horrible concentration and disorganized thoughts. Because I am so defiant no one thought ADHD could be the problem. I would never give anyone the time of day to explain anything so who would know. I have been home since about December of 2012. I was eating still severally depressed oh and I also have problems with anxiety. Because I was clean from substances I wanted to con my way into prescription drugs. I convinced my guardian to get me an appointment with a psych to be tested for Adderall. As it turns out, I really do have ADD. When I was on a regular dose it helped. But then I loved that it was so easy not to eat and now I've had the worst relapse of my ED in my life. I conned my way into an abnormally high dose for my low weight. I weigh 89 pounds and I'm 5'4. It has increase my OCD and made my self esteem drop to an all time low. When I was on a regular dose my Depression was gone my anxiety was low and life was good. I was also seeing a councilor and for once being able to talk about how I really feel. It is a hell of an amazing drug. But it is also in control of my life right now, and that scares me. I'm sorry if I didn't help you. Have a good day

A have ADHD, and all (I mean ALL) my depression and anxiety was a result of my ADHD. I was treated with anti-depressants, (Effexor, then Prozac, then Lexapro). I ended up crying and sleeping or being angry and awake for days. When I was diagnosed with ADHD, I was put on adderall and gained 20 pounds in 2 months. (GOOD THING: i had been mia and ana for 15 years!!!) I'm 26 now and feel that the adderall saved my life; it made me understand that food is awesome and it's a waste of my time to worry about. I am a chef now; went to culinary school. I am still thin but look healthy, and definitely I'm happy! I cook and eat all day long! If you feel comfortable and have people that you can call on, please try quitting the anti-depressants, sleep aids, and (please don't!!!) laxatives you might be taking. Take magnesium and vegan iron supplements (better on bulimic belly), drink coconut water and orange juice, eat anti-inflammatory foods (curry powder/turmeric. cayenne, ginger, sweet potatoes - in fact, combine them all with some extra-virgin olive oil and bake in a 425 oven til they become delicious oven a fries!). Take care of yourself and read a book called 'Your life can be better: using strategies for adult adhd'. By Douglas A. Puryear MD. It really helps and the chapters are short for a reason ;-).

I am taking adderall for ADHD and it is helping my binge eating disorder as well.  A symptom of ADHD is a lack of impulse control and this is an enormous contributing factor to binges.  Food also can serve as self medication for all of my racing thoughts and feelings of being overwhelmed by everything.  I feel that the adderall allows me to address my real life rather than wasting time being side-tracked by my eating disorder.

Ironically, since beginning medicine I have cared far less about losing weight and have enjoyed three full meals a day...at the appropriate meal-time...for the first time in decades.

Just my two cents!