I could really use some help with my mother. Ever since her second husband died, she has been withdrawn and it seems like she cannot get out of depression. She is 56 years old and I am so afraid that something more serious might happen, that her state might get worse and turn into some personality disorder. Is that possible?

Well, usually, personality disorders are triggered by some trauma in life, but that usually happens in younger age, although it is possible for someone to subdue to personality issues later in life. I guess you should try to help her as much as you can, talk to her, try to comfort her, this is really a bad period for her.

And if you see that there might be some danger for her mental health, you should get her some professional help. Hmm, perhaps you should do that right away. But you have to suggest her carefully; she might not react positively to your proposition. There are meds she could use also, anti depressants for example, but it would be better if those are prescribed by a doctor.

And the best thing would be if she does not start with any medicament therapy. There are many psychotherapeutic treatments that might help her a lot, without any drugs. And you should play a big part in that treatment. You are her family, the one she can turn to now, in these grave moments for her.

Your mom won't develop a personality disorder. It's genetic or starts at a very young age and usually rears it's head at a fairly young age.

Starting with psychotherapy is a really good idea. Reactive depression is depression caused by something external ie your step dad's death. Therapy helps that kind of depression alot.

Hope your mom feels better soon.