Hi, my brother is 32 years old and he has met girl whose mother has mental disorder. She was several times in the hospital and she is constantly under medication. I don't want that same destiny find my brother so I would like to know what mental disorders are hereditary. Thank you very much.

Several decades ago opinion was that some mental illnesses are strictly hereditary. However recently such attitude is left and mental illness are based on predispositions. It depends on many factors if someone would develop some mental illness so practically there is no mental illness which is fully hereditary. enviroment plays very important role in developing mental disorders.

Your brother has to understand that many mental illnesses are hereditary or have some hereditary components. Also important thing is that this mental illness doesn’t have to be noticed in his girlfriend and there is a good chance that she won’t ever have it. Some mental illnesses tend to expose themselves later in someone life but you can never be sure when will they occur if they occur at the first place. Did she tell him what kind of illness does her mother have? Problem with mental illnesses is that you can never be sure if you have one or don’t. So if he is planning to stay with here he will have to take a chance.

My mom is bi polar and has advanced in stages throughout my life....my dad well were not sure exactly what's wrong with him he refused any medical treatment.... and has been admitted into a mental institution for threatning to blow up a police dept when I was pregnant..he was released but I'm unsure why all I know is he refused the medicine and was forced to pay for the treatment sometimes I feel like I may have a depression disorder but I still have control does this mean its too late or am I already crazy or am I even crazy at all is this just a mind game from my experiences

crazy people dont ask if they are crazy. you must be alright. if you are depressed go to a doctor and discuss your feelings.

One brother and one sister. Brother is intelligent a senior software engineer but his sister is suffering from mental disorder from birth is this heriditory . Will her brother can have this problem in future or his childrenson ? Kindly reply and guide us. Thank you Nitin