Are there any mental health experts here? I have been looking into different forms of depression lately, and I need to know the difference between depressive and catatonic stupor. I suspect my husband is suffering from something along these lines. Any advice or explanation would be really great. Thank you for reading.

These two often go together and hand in hand. People who suffer from catatonic depression often stay put in the some position for many hours at the time, and fail to respond to those around them. Their facial expressions are blank and they seem withdrawn into themselves. Does that help you any?

Hallo,
If I am not mistaking the catatonic behavior is associated with neurogenic motor immobility where this is most often manifested by stupor. You will most likely lose motor skills or even constant hyperactive motor activity. On the other hand depression is a disorder where you will feel sad, blue, unhappy or miserable. The fact is that most of us feel like this from time to time. Do you know what might be causing your depression? How long have you been feeling this way? Are you taking any medication to treat this condition? The good thing would be to see a doctor and try to determine what is really causing all your problems and try to find help to get rid of this.

Have you actually read the post or anything about depression?

@Edeline,
afaik, a depressive stupor can be a mild form of a stupor, caused by a severe depressive episode. The patient will withdraw, say to the bedroom and just lie in bed for an extended period of time, hardly moving. This is usually accompanied with slower movement, speech and cognitive functions.

A catatonic stupor may have different reasons and render the patient rigid (more or less immobilised instead of slower movement), unable to speak or even react to more than basic stimuli.