Hi. I`ve reading something about circumsicion and I think it is ok. I am a catholic, and catholics don`t prescribe circumcision, but I have nothing against it. How do you feel about circumscision?

Hi. I am a Jewish and I know circumcision is fundamental to Judaism. I had my Brit milah when I was only eight days old. I had no choice, and even if I had I would do the same. Did you know circumcision is customary among Coptic, Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox church members? I am glad I was only 8 days old. It is probably painful. I would be very afraid to do it now. Experts disagree about whether circumcision is overall a beneficial or harmful procedure, all the time. I think it is beneficial.

you only gotta do a search for foreskin and see how much trouble it is to see that circumcision is a good thing. inconvenient and embarrassing as it is to get it done in your teens/adulthood, it's still better than having a sore, smelly foreskin. it was the best thing i ever did, having it done at 19.

I agree with Guest.
But you'd be surprised how many Catholics have told me that the reason they are circumcised is because they are Catholic. Yet they can't explain why Mexico and even Italy, seat of the pope, and both of them predominantly Catholic, are largely uncircumcising countries, and so are most in Latin America. There's even a Yahoo group called Catholics Opposing Circumcision, as if they are defying or attempting to change some church rule. How does this stuff get started?

About that question on the Catholic position on circumcision:
Because the church long recognized the circumcision of Christ as a religious feast day, many were under the impression that the procedure was church policy for all members.
Not so, apparently, although it has been church hospital policy in certain times and places, just as it has been at non church hospitals. Therein lies the misconception, I suspect.
But there have long been social, heritage, cultural and economic factors at work too. Catholics have often been better educated and/or afluent, and have experienced a higher circumcision rate than the general population.
That brings me to a more recent question, which I post here in search of an answer for my group. My own observations aside, one goes through school in only one generation, so it is not representative of the larger picture.
Friends have told me that every Catholic boy they ever knew was cut. One told me that he was born in a Catholic hospital where all boys were cut. One poster in these forums or groups said that he went to an all boys Catholic school where all were, except for one foreign born.
If you've had any such experience or observation please post it. It would be more useful if you specify an age group and general location too. Thanks.