Hello! My son is 1,5 years old now, and this morning a noticed that his foreskin is red. What can be a reason to this?

Hello there! There could be a couple of reasons of reddened foreskin in children. It means that the penis is irritated and the foreskin is doing its job of protecting the sensitive glans and urinary opening. Foreskin can become red when a child is exposed to the soiled diapers too much, due imbalance of skin bacteria, or even concentrated urine when a boy is not drinking enough water. To help healing, give your child to drink enough water, soak him in warm baths, and let him run without diapers for a while!

sidoti wrote:

My son is 1.5 years old now, and this morning a noticed that his foreskin is red. What can be a reason to this?

The advice from vogler is good. There could also be an overload of vitamin C (citric acid). See that he is not getting too much orange juice, for example. If the foreskin is already retractable, try retracting it for a prolonged period of time to get the irritated area away from the meatus (pee slit, or opening) at least until it has a chance to clear up. This can go a long way to removing the environment that holds moisture or secretions that can irritate the foreskin (inside or out) and the penis head inside it. But take care not to force the foreskin, if it is not easily and comfortably retractable yet. Free retractability may not occur until age 3 - 5 or in some cases later.

Just over 2 months ago our son had an infection in his penis. Not his foreskin. It was red, hot, swollen on the right side midway down his penis. He had a fever for 2 days and we got him aniti-biotics. We gave him several baths a day. We applied s****cream ( medicated diaper cream) The entire week he complained about it and evidently he was in pain. It affected his sleep quality (ours as well). It seemed to have gone away completely.

Yesterday I noticed his penis was more pink than usual. I cleaned him as usual with a scent free baby wipe and His reaction was "owy" (ouch).

He reacted differently when he was being carried on my hip or sat on my lap...he tried to yank his diaper off several times. Holding his diaper saying "ugh" - loosely translated "off?"

I am not sure what steps to take to 'cure' him of this problem. I've called my doctor to get a second prescription or topical cream but is there something else underlying that I'm not considering?

He does have an intact foreskin but it is not red...it's midway down to the right (exact same area as first infection) and the underneath that looks inflamed. The veins are more apparent as well. It is sensitive to the slighest touch. He is urinating normally. He is playing as normal but sensitive when he sits down and has a 'conversation' about it when I change his diaper. He is aware of the 'bobo'. Any suggestions?

We are dealing with the exact same situation right now. Our son's intact penis (24 months) seems to be infected on the right side, but the foreskin area seems fine. Does anyone have any answers?

Quote:

Maybe if you guys had circumsized your boys then it wouldn't have given bacteria and other nasty things a place to fester. Seems like keeping boys intact is much more complicated then all these people who are anti-circumcision want to admit. I think most of the anti-circimcision people are just making a fuss because they're tired of their boys being made fun of. Deep down, they know it's dirty!

Are you out of your mind???? Dirty???? What generation are you from and what is your issue with foreskin? There is NO medical reason for circumcision and little boys have been uncut for centuries. Occasionally you may have difficulty resulting in later circumcision but is not a common practice.

Psychologists believe sons should be the same as their fathers so as to lessen the confusion of being "different" then daddy. As for being made fun of? Only those ignorant would dream of making fun of a boy's penis and are obviously not mature enough to handle sexual organs.

Oh wait... I get it. Now I understand what your issue is. *shaking head* Should have known. You're not even worth it.

The fear, judgement, & ignorance you're spewing forth is really pitiful. First of all, baby boys are born with foreskins to KEEP OUT dirt, etc. from the head of the penis. My son is almost two years old & I am on disability & did not have the financial ability to have him circumcised even if I'd wanted to (although I didn't... it truly is traumatic for them) because DSHS classifies it a cosmetic procedure & doesn't cover it.

I hope that you don't have a child, or if you do, that they aren't a boy.

anonymous wrote:

Quote:

The foreskin gives bacteria and other nasty things a place to fester? Don't you mean wet and soiled diapers give yeast a place to fester? And wounds such as from forced retractions or, I don't know, say - circumcision, give a place for bacteria to fester? You have truly spoken out of ignorance and it's very sad.

great article on circumcision:

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

and also one on what can go wrong:

You don't amputate your hand on the chance you might cut a finger one day.
The same goes for the penis. Leave it alone. when something comes up....deal with it, just like you would with any other part of yourself.

dude. citric acid is not Vitamin C....Ascorbic acid is vitamin C

Wow so much ignorance! Its sad. We circumsied my son because my husband wanted our son to be the same as him. I didn't really see a reason for it but caved and regret it now. My son has had 3 or 4 issues with inflamed foreskin. I think either way you may have problems with the foreskin and adhesions.

Most circumcisions performed on boys during childhood and adolescence are unnecessary: they are the result of inadequate knowledge of anatomy, unawareness of alternatives, poor judgement or misdiagnosis of foreskin problems. In the rare instances where there is a genuinely pathological condition, circumcision is often prescribed when kinder, less ruthless, cheaper and non-injurious treatments, not involving amputation, are just as effective.
Male circumcision is traumatic, destructive, removes protective and erogenous tissue, and is therefore not in the best interest of the patient. Male post-neonatal circumcision is not medically justified except in rare circumstances, and only after all less invasive alternatives have been attempted (except for social / religious factors).

Circumcision makes since.  I am very thankful my parents made that deciscion.  My wife and I had no doubt our son would be circumcised too.  We are Christians, maybe that is the largest group, but I am also so glad my parents raised me in church.  God Bless!

Yeah because everyone knows only heathens don't circumcise their boys. Straight to hell with them!