I am 33 years old and unfortunately started having problems with allergy and runny nose. I guess I could see this coming years ago, but still I never wanted to react before because the symptoms were always very mild. Now, I have to take meds and I have started with Flonase and Zyrtec. How long does it take for these drugs to work?

These two medications are a bit different from each other. Flonase is basically an oral inhaler that is used for asthma and allergies. Sometimes it is used instead of steroids in asthma treatment. Zyrtec is an antihistamine also used for allergies. As for the time before the positive effects kick in, we are talking about only couple of days. If nothing happens, you should talk to your doctor again.

Hello there,

Allergies are very complicated to treat, even when the doctors know what is causing them. If your doctor has done all the necessary tests and he prescribed Flonase and Zyrtec than he probably think they will start to work in no time. If in 48 hours nothing changes you need to revisit your doctor again. Reasons for medications not working can be quite different and sometimes our organism is refusing certain meds.

I was trying 10 different antihistamines before I have found the one that works just fine for my allergy. Also, it is very important to avoid triggers of allergies. If you know what is causing you to sneeze and cry than don’t go near it.