My wife has some allergy problems. But it seems it is not the only problem she has. Also she has hearing problems. I have concluded that after her recent visit to the doctor. He has recommended her a medicine and she did not hear is it Clarinex or Claritin. Tell me please what is the difference between Clarinex and Claritin?

You should not be so harsh on her. She didnt hear well, so what? There is no big difference between those two medications anyway. Claritin major component is loratadine and Clarinex major component is desloratadine which is the active form of loratadine. It means that those two medications are basically the same and there is possibility that doctor told her that she can use either one of them. It seems that Clarinex is a little stronger.

Claritin (OTC) vs. Clarinex(prescription)

Clarinex is faster acting than Claritin, both are without drowsiness. Zyrtec(OTC) ads claim it works faster than Claritin(OTC) which may be true, but Clarinex is fast acting and Zyrtec doesn't make that claim against Clarinex. Most of my friends also tell me that Zyrtec causes drowsiness and don't want the "D" version in any case, as they don't want their blood pressure raised with pseudophed, which is in the "D" versions. Claritin or Clarinex without pseudophed, does not cause drowsiness. I switched from Benadryl, Zyrtec, or Allegra to Clarinex because it doesn't cause drowsiness. And, Clarinex(prescription) is a tax deductible medical expense, a bonus if you have lots of medical expenses.

First of all there is a difference between Clarinex and Claritin....Claritin is Loratidine but Clarinex is Des-Loratidine and while they may work the same for many people, for those with severe allergies and/or accompaning chronic respiratory problems such as asthma and chronic bronchitis, including those with high susceptiblity to pneumonia... Claritin/Loratidine has a side effect that this group of people are highly susceptible to, namely causing respiratory inflammation and lowering considerably their resistence to infections such as bronchitis or pneumonia...use of Claritin/Loratidine by this group can within a few days cause these problems, thus complicating and exacerbating the allergy and respiratory problems already going on. Clarinex/Des-Loratidine does not have this side effect and is far safer...they are NOT the same drug, they are similar but critically different in a very important and sensitive way....Most OTC's, other drugs like Sudafed, Singular, for example also have this same negative side effect...that many are sensitive to, and many probably don't even know it....

Claritin is an impure medication, I'm not sure what the ratio is but, some of the compounds in the medication are mirror images of the active compound (enantiomers) and can not be processed by the body, quit a few molecules in nature have mirror image moleculues, both with the exact same properties, however, in the body, our enzymes can only process one of the two enantiomers. So, with Claritin, a significant % of the medication is not utilized. There are ways to purify the compounds, which is what we see in Clarinex. When you get a prescription and buy Clarinex, you're paying for a purified version of the compound, that has a stronger effect on the body.

Clarinex & Claritin are definitely not the same.  Claritin is ineffective and once I started taking Clarinex my health improved miraculously. Clarinex, desloratidine, "talks" to Singulair and people like me with allergic rhinitis and asthma get the best of both worlds.  I have had to fight my insurance company to keep coverage.  Having a health insurance company that decided not provide coverage for any allergy medication once Claritin went over the counter has been hell.  The company cares more about its obscene profit margin that keeping patients healthy by treating the cause --  instead they decided it was cheaper to let patients get sick - go figure.  Allergies are debilitating and can be life threatening - I went into respiratory arrest years ago when I was taking one of the previous generation antihistamines.  Clarinex will be available as a generic in 2012 as Schering-Plough lost a law suit even though they had the patent until 2014.
During my latest battle with my insurance company to get coverage, I sent a prescription to Canada and the irony is that it costs less than my co-pay and is 80% cheaper than getting it from the U.S. pharmacy with no coverage.  Americans are being gouged by the pharmaceutical companies.  There's a bill before Congress to make it illegal to get legal meds from Canada. 

How did you fill a script for Clarinex in Canada? I just found out I am no longer covered by my insurance for Clarinx and they told me there is no generic for it. It costs-approx. $500 for a 3 month supply out of pocket I am told. Please respond as I am low on this med and do not want to take some alternate drug with possible side effects

How do I get my Clarinex D script filled in Canada? I'm having the same problem with my insurance. I'm miserable without it! Please help me with any information that you can. Tami

You can buys Aerius online. It's the same compound- desloratadine, and you can buy it for $34.67 for 30 tablets, that about $104 for 3 months.

how to fill a prescription in canada

Anwen wrote:

how to fill a presciption in canada

costco has 90 tablets of Desloetadine non drowsy 24 hour drug for 45.00 in canada (aerius)

I dont think he was being harsh. Maybe you're too sensitive? Sounds he was looking for the difference as it sounds he wasn't sure...?

Clarinex requires a prescription. If a patient gets a "recommendation" then it was likely for the over-the-counter form, which is Claritin. You cannot just go to the drugstore and buy Clarinex off the shelf.

It might be best if you include a link to reliable sources of information. WebMD says loratadine usually has no side effects, is gentle, and safe to take over the long term. However, if you have proof of documented side effects, please post to a source that has good credentials (not ehow or livestrong or other random websites that call themselves sources of accurate info). Thanks.