Hello, folks. I have a sore throat and I am thinking of taking amoxicillin. However, I take antihistamine since I have experienced allergic rhinitis. I wonder whether I can take these two different types of medication at the same time. What do you know about this? I would appreciate if you shared it with me.

Hello. Amoxicillin is an antibiotic. It belongs to a group of penicillin and it has a wide range of efficiency. Antihistamines are medications that are used for treating different kind of allergic reactions and conditions. As far as I know, there are no obstacles that would prohibit mixing of these two medications. Just don’t use alcohol while on meds. You should also avoid driving a motor vehicle while on antihistamines. For more details, contact your doctor or pharmacist. I hope I’ve helped. Bye!

I didn't realize how old this post was until just now but I am going to continue my reply anyways. Maybe you will see it and it will help prevent any poor decisions in the future, or maybe someone else who stumbles upon this will see it, who knows.

First of all, the sore throat is most likely a side effect of the rhinitis due to post nasal drip and things of that nature. If it is a sinus infection, antibiotics may help, but if it's an allergic reaction, stick with the antihistamine. Do NOT take antibiotics for allergies!

I have some MAJOR concerns with this posting. "I am thinking of taking amoxicillin" sounds very nonchalant. You should not just "take" any antibiotics if you have them laying around the house. You should always consult a physician and get a prescription for any medication. The misuse of antibiotics is a rampant issue in our society. Unnecessary usage of antibiotics as well as not taking the antibiotics properly leads to antibiotic resistance, leading to strains of bacteria that are unresponsive to treatment. This means we either start creating very powerful antibiotics which is not preferable for health reasons, or that we are stuck having diseases that we can no longer cure. Creating antibiotic resistance in yourself is harmful on an individual level, but if it is something contagious, then you pass that on to someone else and so on and so on. It is an entirely new can of worms.

Being someone going into pharmacy, I am by no means saying that drugs are bad or that you should not take antibiotics. We would all be in a lot of trouble without them. I am merely stating that people need to be a lot more careful with how they are using these drugs. Drugs are potent and potentially dangerous when misused. They are not something to be played with and taken carelessly. !

Thank you for your input ;   My 10 yr old son suffers from asthma and allergies I gave him over the counter antihistamine bout hour and half ago because he  had a runny nose due to his allergies but he stated that his throat was hurting I asumed it was due to the post nasal drip but as time went by he started telling me that his throat was hurting more. his runny nose stopped with the allergy medication I gave him but now I don't know if to wait or give him the amoxicillin ( that was giving by a dr )

I am so glad you posted this. People not using anti-biotics correctly really bothers me -.-

Only if it is given by a doctor for that specific thing and you haven't already opened the pack. Once you start giving them you have to give them all. You can't just stop and start